Kal Clone Build with Whirlpool Vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
I'm finally starting a Kal clone build but wanted to run my process a little bit differently. I've had a bad experience with both counterflow chillers and hop blocker type solutions and have simply ended up using an immersion chiller and an auto siphon to chill and rack my hopper ales. I'm not happy with the efficiency of my IC currently and don't think I can quickly get to lager pitching temps with the method.

I would like to continue to use an immersion chiller however. I've looked into Jamil's IC method and really see the simplicity of that approach and would like to modify that slightly. I've thought of building in the IC much like a HERMS coil or simply placing my current copper in the BK during the entirety of the boil before placing the hop spider inside. I could then recirculate my boiled wort through an inlet in the top of the BK (much like the HLT in the electric brewery.com and pick along the side at the bottom to create a whirlpool.

The questions I have are:

1. Can I build up enough of a whirlpool with the hop spider, IC, and heating element in the BK?
2. Are there problems leaving the IC in the boil the entire time?
3. Will the pump create enough of enough pressure to make an effective whirlpool?
4. Would a built in HERMS coil used as an IC be a huge pain to clean?
5. Would this be easier using a 4 vessel approach with a whirlpool vessel? I have four keggles so cleaning is the only real downside with this approach and I do hate cleaning.

Thanks in advance and any outside the box ideas would be appreciated.

Back