Just want to share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet there is going to be a lot of swearing when it comes time to get those grapefruits out of the carboy. :)

I now just use the juice and the rinds, just takes to long and is a real pain using the entire fruit. Seems to condition quicker without the white pith(sp?).

I've found that using the white pith of citrus adds significant bitterness to mead. Try using the zest only, it'll add citrus flavor without adding the acid from the juice, nor the bitterness from the pith. I've cooked up a little syrup-like mix from lemons using about 3 parts water to 1 part juice & all the zest from 7 lemons, 1.5 cups (by volume) of honey & simmered for about 5 minutes. I've had luck with adding this concoction to mead for lemon flavor, and I can easily omit the juice to avoid adding acid. I've done this twice with an experimental batch of mead, and so far it's worked out well; takes a while to find out if you need to add more or not, but better to take your time & add incrementally than to get in a hurry & find out you've added too much later on. Hope you find this info useful. Regards, GF.

I've found that using the white pith of citrus adds significant bitterness to mead. Try using the zest only, it'll add citrus flavor without adding the acid from the juice, nor the bitterness from the pith. I've cooked up a little syrup-like mix from lemons using about 3 parts water to 1 part juice & all the zest from 7 lemons, 1.5 cups (by volume) of honey & simmered for about 5 minutes. I've had luck with adding this concoction to mead for lemon flavor, and I can easily omit the juice to avoid adding acid. I've done this twice with an experimental batch of mead, and so far it's worked out well; takes a while to find out if you need to add more or not, but better to take your time & add incrementally than to get in a hurry & find out you've added too much later on. Hope you find this info useful. Regards, GF.

that's only if you heat it up, which is a big no-no with mead, IMO.

I bet there is going to be a lot of swearing when it comes time to get those grapefruits out of the carboy. :)

thats a damn good point. would it be better if you just put a bunch of grapefruits in a blender and poured it into your carboy instead of putting halved/quartered fruits in?

thats a damn good point. would it be better if you just put a bunch of grapefruits in a blender and poured it into your carboy instead of putting halved/quartered fruits in?

funny you should think that since after about cursing the fruit for about 20min I decided pureed fruit and zest will be my preferred method from now on.

hey your up late. Where the hell are you now CO?

sry this is what a job at the liquor store does to you. It's toooo damn late to still be drunk.

When you are One, you will no longer need to get the fruit out. Instead, you will come to realize that there is no fruit, and that it is yourself which is contained.

IMG_0604.jpg

Here it is. I didn't know which one was which...so I closed my eyes and chose. After cracking the bottle, there was no question that this is the Grapefruit mead.

The color is a beautiful...and CRYSTAL clear mead. I would not call it "Star Bright" or whatever the real judges call it, but it is as clear as it needs to be.
This mead is really gorgeous. It appears to have nice body and sheets down the glass when swirled, but really tries to hang on for all it's worth.

The taste is unmistakeably Grapefruit. It's crisp and clean, but I think it's too dry for me, as Grape Fruit has always been served to me with HEAPS of sugar. This is more true to the nature of fresh natural grapefruit. In smaller sips the "Pith" is apparent, but not over powering. In a good size swallow, it's not noticeable. The acid of the grapefruit along with it's nature hides the youth and the reported 20%+ abv pretty well.

My overall impression....This isn't my favorite mead, but it is definitely the Best CITRUS mead I've ever had. I was actually pretty anxious about a grapefruit mead. It isn't something that I'd even have considered, but I'm now quite glad to have a bottle, and really looking forward to the next bottle...although I don't have a clue what it is either.

Thanks Man! It has been a pleasure trying your mead. Job well done.

It should taste extra good, you wouldn't believe what that bottle went through to get there. Well you as in BigKahuna would, but other ppl. You know.

And next summer I should have some more stuff for you to try, and this time I think Ill just drive to CO:D

YUP....I saw the Mosquito Pass Pictures...I think that helped. I have a few bottles for you to take up there next summer :cross:

You know what would be cool, bury some bottles in the snow up there, take a gps reading and then come back and get them some time later.

They'd be as cold as the rockys and frost brewed at least. :rolleyes:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412482990.060178.jpg
Makes my JAOM I just came home to after a week away seem very puny. This is my first batch of mead. Pictures like the ones you shared are truly inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Back