Just scored 65 free Grolsch and Fischer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElyIrishBrew

Reaction score
In anticipation of my first batch, I'd been saving brown Samuel Adams bottles, with about 20 gathered, when someone on our local Freecycle e-mail net posted they had 60 Grolsch bottles to give away.

Yep, I was all over that like a German on lager or an Irishman on Laphroaig! :D

Anyway, about 35 of them are the 16-oz green Grolsch bottles, about a dozen are brown 16-oz Grolsch and Fischer, and about 20 of them are the larger Fischer bottles, also brown. Not sure how much they hold, but it looks like somewhere around 24-25 oz. Don't think they are big enough to be 32 oz.

All the locktops and seals are intact, with the seals not cracked or broken anywhere.

I know why brown is the favorite bottle color, but since I'm doing these myself I'll ensure the green bottles don't see the light of the sun until it's time to drink 'em.

So, do you expect these will be harder to sterilize because of the rubber seals? My guess is sterilization happens on contact, not through scrubbing. Any other considerations unique to this type of bottle? Thanks!

1. You lucky dog! Congrats. :tank:

2. You can buy replacement rubber gaskets form various LHBS as needed. They come in a bag of 40 I think.

3. Brown is better than Green at filtering out UV light that can skunk beer. As long as you keep the bottle out of sunlight, and not exposed to florescent light, they are fine.

4. I soak them in Starsan, have been doing this for a year and a half, no problems so far. I just make sure I rinse out bottles after use, as opposed to letting gunk harden in them.

Back