Just popped the top on my bucket...beautiful

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weyerfan

Reaction score
It's been 8 days in primary and airlock activity has slowed to a halt so I figured why not take a peek and get a hydro reading and a taste of my first brew. I managed to do it in under 10 seconds so I doubt any bad guys got in. Its at 1.012 which is right around where it's supposed to finish so I'm assuming all is well. It's a beautiful brown color and is clear not hazy. It tasted like I expected. A young beer but delicious. I'm gonna give it 2 more uninterrupted weeks then take a few readings just to be sure it's done then it's to the bottle.

If your FG hasn't changed in 2-3 days it's done fermenting. Any aging beyond that is for clarity and conditioning if desired.

It's killing me not to do it sooner but I know patience is key. Is there any tips to use when taking a reading to minimize exposure? I did the obvious and sanitized the lid, thief, my hands and wore a hat so no stray hairs fell in. Also made sure everything was in my hands to minimize time open. Any other helpful advice considering it will be open at least 1-2 more times?

Don't sweat it. Clean hands, sampler (thief), just open the lid, get the sample and close it up.

Lol! I actually did wear a surgical mask. My moms a doctor and there was a bunch sitting around. No condom though...you don't think I gave it an STD do you?

I always wait a minimum of 3 weeks to make sure the yeast cleans up no matter what the reading is.

I've had too many beers that didn't taste quite right pulling them off at 2.

Back