Just got my kit in !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxBrew

Reaction score
Just got my kit in today :ban::mug: I had been going back and forth from where to order it from. Decided to order/buy from my local home brew shop. To my surprise the equipment is all good quality for a starter setup. I went with the glass carboy fermenter "essentials" kit. http://store.brooklyn-homebrew.com/index.php?product=EQPTKIT3&shop=1&c=224

I also ordered an extract kit for my first brew from the same place. http://store.brooklyn-homebrew.com/index.php?product=aeaa&shop=1&c=70

Added to that the Wyeast that was recommended. All in all I'm really pleased with everything. Im eager to start my first batch but waiting on a temp control for my chest freezer. My room temps are too high "80" . Ales are 55-78 depending on what the yeast used calls for.

Is there anything else besides bottles "i have a brew pot" do you guys think i would need ?

First of congrats! Looks like you got most if not all items that you will need. I recommend something to stir while boiling. I use a plastic spatula because it rubs more surface area to the bottom of the kettle preventing extract from burning. Also if you plan on doing this a lot get another fermenting bucket...comes in handy. Also get a spray bottle for water. Keeps the hops from over boiling and prevents a mess. I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck,follow the instructions in your kit, and most important....have fun.

Congrats on your first kit! That looks like a pretty nice set up you have. Interesting that they even include a blow off tube. I'm trying to picture the one piece airlock. Is it one of those S shaped ones?

I think you're set with the exception of what you already mentioned. I just thought of something. Get a nice spray bottle you can mix up some StarSan in. Comes in pretty handy along the way.

Happy brewing!
:mug:

Thanks all ! i have a couple of items I'm going to gather while i wait for my temp control to come in. Love the wort chiller idea but my kitchen sink faucet won't work with them. I know i already want a carboy carrier. I imagine the glass when filled gets heavy.

The bad part is,the carboy "fermenter" is only 5 gallons. No head space for a 5G batch. A 6-6.5 gallon carboy is needed for said head space. The small carboy has little or no room for krausen build up.
And a 4 gallon (16qt) SS brew kettle will do fine for partial boils on a stove top.Wort chillers,spray wands,etc need the ada[ter kit for the faucet that most places have to conect these things to the faucet.

Back