Just got a new keggle, How to build my new brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukadog

Reaction score
Just got a new keg. I will have another one within the week. I'm wanting to use my cooler as my MLT. What is the best way I should turn one into a HLT and one into a boil kettle? I'm looking for new ideas on a new brewery! Any advice would be great! Cheers! :mug:

There is a hundred ways of doing it so it's impossible to give you advice on it. I can recommend how to outfit each vessel no matter what configuration the brewery is.

HLT: Ball valve with dip tube, thermometer, sight glass (either separate or combo).
BK: Copy above. Some folks question the utility of a thermometer in the boil kettle but I like to know when I'm about to boil and/or how close to pitching temps I am when I'm chilling in place. If you plan for an external chiller like a CFC or plate, it's less important. In the grand scheme, the cost savings is minimal.

Bobby is right on, the question is far too broad. There are probably hundreds of threads on each aspect of what you're looking to build. I suggest you start by searching Google images for the different items to give you a visual of what to build. From there you can begin researching how to do it.
Good luck and have fun!

haha yeah hundreds of threads. Each with someone showing off bling. after a while it all blends together.

Thanks all. I have been searching the DIY forums and have found some good ideas. I think I'm going to have to start investing in some pumps.

I vote built in heating elements, heatsticks and pumps in a single tier. But, that's just me.

DSCN0121.jpg

I vote built in heating elements, heatsticks and pumps in a single tier. But, that's just me.

DSCN0121.jpg

I do want to go with a single tier, and some how keep my cooler for the mash tun. I eventually want to go electric as well, just not at this time.

DSCN0121.jpg

I'm coiling up the stainless right now to build the HERMS. Hope to be using it all by March.

I am curious on your switches. Are you using any type of control to keep temps? I would love to avoid spending another $1k to have a controller.

Those switches more for the pumps or they connect to your heat sticks? I took my heatsticks and mounted them as perm elements, just got crowded

I'm coiling up the stainless right now to build the HERMS. Hope to be using it all by March.

I am curious on your switches. Are you using any type of control to keep temps? I would love to avoid spending another $1k to have a controller.

Those switches more for the pumps or they connect to your heat sticks? I took my heatsticks and mounted them as perm elements, just got crowded

It's all manual at the moment, but I have been itching to get a brewtroller involved soon. I need to figure out how to mount the SSR's in conjunction with my existing outlet boxes. Maybe mount them underneath in an ammo can, with the heatsinks on the outside.

The left hand switch in each box controls the heating elements, the right hand controls the pumps. They are 20 amp switches, everything is 20 amp.

My HLT has the elements mounted in the keggle, I'm still using the sticks for the BK, but plan to mount elements inside it someday.

All the heating elements and switches are great, however, I want to try to keep it a little more simple, and use banjo burners mabey.

lukadog said:
All the heating elements and switches are great, however, I want to try to keep it a little more simple, and use banjo burners mabey.

This is what I did. I am not a wiring or electrical genius. I had two jet burners for the past 1+ 1/2 years. Had a guy build me a single tier brutus clone rig (minus the control panel and ng lines and burners). I had him weld my two burners on because they work great and I dont mind propane since it is cheaper than ng for me. I have 1 pump which works fine for now for batch sparge. A second pump might fall out of the sky on my birthday ( i am leaving hints all over the house for my wife). Even though I have burners welded on, I can always switch to electric if I wanted to since I use kegs.

I agree it is up to you and your imagination though. I will recommend Bargainfittings.com they supplied all of my fittings, valves, cam locks, prices can't be beat and $5 flat shipping. Dirt cheap when you plan it out, unlike me who keeps finding new things to add.

I agree it is up to you and your imagination though. I will recommend Bargainfittings.com they supplied all of my fittings, valves, cam locks, prices can't be beat and $5 flat shipping. Dirt cheap when you plan it out, unlike me who keeps finding new things to add.

BARGAINFITTINGS IS A GREAT PLACE:ban:

Thanks for the help all! I have been looking at bargain fittings for awhile now. I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on some new fittings here tonight. And mattldm, the is a very fine piece!

So I have one of the Coors kegs (no I didn't drink the pee water) that has the buldgy middle section instead of most peoples sleek slim ones. Question is, what is the best dip tube/valve combo for this? Been looking at them but can't decide. I would prefer something I could put against the tube to block hop mater. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back