Just Got 15 Gallon Rye Whiskey Barrel - Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian555

Reaction score
So I obtained a 15 gallon Rye Whiskey Barrel that I plan on aging a RIS in. The RIS recipe is very solid and has even gained some praise at local homebrew comps. I have already waxed half of the barrel, minus the heads.

I have some questions though.

In order to maintain a strong whiskey character, can I sanitize the barrel using bourbon? And if so, how much? I was planning on grabbing a couple of handles of bourbon and rolling the barrel every 24 hours or so to get all the interior and then standing it on the heads to get them as well.

As far as swelling the barrel, can I just soak the outside every 24 hours or so until it is water tight? Should I do this at the same time I add the bourbon?

I was hoping to serve this at my wedding, will 18 to 20 weeks be long enough to impart a solid oak and bourbon character?

Already have 20 gallons brewed of my RIS cleaning itself up in primary. Getting ready to rock and roll with this barrel.

Thank you in advance for all your input.

I just got the most recent Digital Version of BYO magazine and they have an article about barrel aging. I'm not sure if the print version is out yet but you may want to check that out when it hits your LHBS. I'm sure the article will have some good information. I have not read the article so that is about as much information I can help you with.

Thanks for the heads up, I have a subscription to the printed version, but have not yet received. I will look for it!

I have researched quite a bit, maybe to much, but that's always how I do things.

Just haven't found any good information as far as using the spirit that was aged in the barrel for sanitation purposes. Trying to stay away from using hot water, don't want to strip flavor from the barrel.

I have had the barrel for about 2 months, got the barrel first then begun the project. It is a Dad's hat rye whisky barrel, from Missouri I think? No telling how long it was empty before I got it. no funky smells, still strong whisky smell, very clean on outside.

Just thought I would use bourbon to sanitize and maybe impart a little different whisky character, shouldn't fight with the rye aromas.

Ok perfect! I actually have two of these:

IMG_20150414_161644_057_zpsaycbaixl.jpg

I have an Imperial Brown Ale in one of them, and the other is awaiting a batch of porter. If there is still a strong whiskey smell coming from inside it, you can be sure it is still sanitary. In my experience neither of mine have leaked, but it is not a bad idea to get some rye whiskey to keep the oak staves saturated. I bought a bottle of Buleit Rye Whiskey, and each barrel soaked up about half the bottle. I would pour a few cups in, rotate the barrel to coat all sides and try to rest it in many different positions to encourage an even coat of the whiskey. There is no need to swell it with water unless you see any whiskey leaking out, and there is no need to sanitize it with anything. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE A COMBUSTIBLE SULFUR STRIP TO TRY TO SANITIZE IT!!!!! Sorry for yelling, but this is how people end up in the hospital, or worse... Check out Gordon Strong's story about exactly this.

In any case, I hope this helps!!! Happy barrel aging

Thanks for the advice Brad. I had a feeling the barrel was good to go, but I just wanted to cover my bases. I actually bought a gallon of whiskey and it is in the barrel now, I rotate it about an 1/8 turn every 12 hours. I plan to do this for about a week until all the staves are saturated. It still had a very strong whiskey smell as you describe so this may have been overkill. Although I really enjoy very strong bourbon character so maybe this is a good thing.

Thanks for the input you really put my mind at ease.

Back