Just came across a 15 gallon kettle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkingStickMan

Reaction score
Looking to switch to AG at some point anyway, but is 15 gal. too big for 5 gal. batches? Any foreseeable difficulties using such a large kettle, aside from the necessary purchase of a propane burner? Does a normal immersion chiller work OK? What if it's 20 gal. (which it may be, friend isn't exactly sure)? Thanks for all of the help.

I use a 15 gallon kettle for 5 gallon Ag batches. I like not having to worry about boilovers. 20 gallon kettle is a bit big, but if you're like most people on here, you'll probably switch to 10 gallon batches at some point and that would be perfect for it. I currently use a 25' 3/8" immersion chiller and it works fine. Just be sure that it's tall enough to reach over the kettle, I lucked out and mine it. Also keep in mind the boil off rate. If the 15 or 20 gallon kettle is super wide you will need to compensate for the added boil off due to a larger surface area, but this is true of any size batch.

i use a 15.5 gal keggle for 5 gal batches. It is still very possible to have a boil over with it too, found that out the first time I used it.

I just happened upon two twenty gallon kettles, they are big! Not that you couldn't do it...but I'd feel a tad foolish doin 5 gal batches in a 20 kettle.

The larger the surface area, the greater the potential boil off. There are a lot of factors that come into play, weather, strength of boil, etc, but the more surface area you have, the more is exposed to air, which means the more can boil off or evaporate.

I've been doing 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle and it's fine. Gives you the flexibility to do 10 gallon batches as well.

A lot of people use 15.5 gallon kegs as kettles for 5 gallon batches. I can speak from experience that it is still possible to have a boilover. :cross:

True, you can still get boilovers in a 15 gallon kettle, just not as easily as with a, say, 10 gallon. Although I personally have not had any boilovers in my 15 gallon boilermaker, and have made roughly 120 batches with it.

Is a 15 gallon kettle too big for a MLT for 5 gallon batches? I'm in the process of planning my move to all grain and would like the flexibility for 10 gallon batches but don't foresee doing too many of them as I really enjoy different types of beers.

I should note that I would probably set up a HERMS.

While you can do a 5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon kettle - you'll never do a 15 gallon batch in a 5 gallon kettle.

As far as the rest - there are other more important things in life to worry about.

Boil on. Use what you got & enjoy it. Eventually you will find the happy medium for your equipment, time, and wallet.

Back