Just bought freezer.. need help sourcing the rest.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonOdd

Reaction score
I bought the 9 cu.ft Frigidaire freezer from Lowes since it will hold 4 ball lock kegs (only 3 pin lock).

I am looking to start with a 1 keg starter kit, but every home brew store in my state seems to be sold out of used ball locks!

I need this keg setup installed by next Friday (7-29-11). I'd buy the setup online but the shipping is either outrageous or the price is more then local retail (or the seller is slow w/ poor communication).

I am frustrated :mad:

I want one 5 gallon ball lock (not converted pin lock) with fittings & hoses, one 5lb Co2 tank (cheaper the better, around here we just exchange them), a regulator that will work well with my future 4 keg setup, and for now.. a picnic tap.

I can buy that new setup locally all day for $180, if they had any used kegs in stock.

Anyone know where I should buy a kit?

Ive had nothing but good experiences with kegconnection.com. They have great prices, flat rate shipping, and the three orders I have placed have all been to my doorstep in 8 days or less. I have seen some people have had issues, but by far more people have been happy than not. If you can follow up your order by calling them during the day and telling them whats going on, they are happy to bump you up in the line to help you out. Again, thats just been my experience.

I like the shipping and the prices at KegConnection! Thanks for the tip :mug:

It's only $10 to upgrade to a 10# Co2 tank, seems a no-brainer.

However should I spend the extra to get the Taprite regulator over their in-house regulator.. and since I am planning to have 4 total kegs on tap, should I do the upgrade to a dual body?

If I get the dual body, can I add two more single regs to it after, to have control of the other two kegs pressure levels?

I can keep it cheap for now, until I get all the parts for a 4 keg setup and buy a 4 body reg later...

I have both types of regulators that KC offers, and my vote is definitely for the Taprite. I've had some unreliable gauges on the in-house, and the Taprite is much easier to adjust, since it doesn't need a screwdriver.

As for dual body, I personally went for it, and along with a few manifolds I'm now able to run up to 5 kegs at one pressure, and up to 2 kegs at a second pressure. My keezer holds 5 kegs. IMO, having 4 different regs is a bit overkill, but it's nice to be able to run 2 pressures if I want. I don't imagine it would be impossible to add additional reg bodies in the future, I guess it mostly depends if they are assembled with Loctite or similar... I haven't taken mine apart to find out.

What I'm 100% positive you can do, however, is expand your gas distribution capabilities with manifolds, etc. Manifolds are relatively cheap, compared to regulator bodies.

I will spring for the dual body Taprite then and see if I need to add more bodies later. I am hoping to be able to work with just manifolds later. Right now I have a porter, red ale and cider to keg, I doubt they all need the same pressure, but it would be nice to be able to get away with only 2 different pressures.

Thanks for help :)

+1 kc
+1 dual body. You can get a couple manifolds and split them up. i.e. run 2 beers at 11psi and a cider and hefe at 13-14psi

I think you were saying you were looking to start with 1 keg. My advise would be, buy 4. You will get a better price on the kegs if you buy everything in the kit (at least that was the case when I bought my stuff)

I would be all over buying 4 kegs at once... but sadly my wallet said start with one and hope craigslist comes through with the rest.

On a happy note..

The freezer arrived with a dented top, so they went and looked at the last freezer they had in stock and it was dented on the top too.. only, worse. Long story short, I talked the manager into letting me have them for the amount of credit Frigidaire would give them if they returned them, + 1 6 pack of my porter :)

$260 (and a sixer) = two 9 cu.ft freezers!! :rockin:

Guess I'll try my hand at a lager next... or I could have 8 on tap...... choices

This new hobby rules!

Photo0530.jpg

Back