just another brewstand build ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
So Im in the process of building a brewstand, and I would like to know what is the optimal height for the burners from the keggles, as I'm in the process of building a brewstand. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

...ohhh here's some pictures so you get an idea of what I'm building.

brewstand01.JPG

brewstand02.JPG

brewstand03.JPG

brewstand04.JPG

brewstand05.JPG

brewstand06.JPG

brewstand07.JPG

brewstand08.JPG

brewstand09.JPG

brewstand10.JPG

brewstand11.JPG

brewstand12.JPG

4 inches minimum space from burner to keggle bottom.

Kinda hard to see if there is any gap between your wind screens and the keggle bottoms. You definitely need to allow the burners to "breath" otherwise you're going to have a crappy burn, fry your stand and take a lot longer to bring things to temperature...

Cheers!

4 inches minimum space from burner to keggle bottom.

Kinda hard to see if there is any gap between your wind screens and the keggle bottoms. You definitely need to allow the burners to "breath" otherwise you're going to have a crappy burn, fry your stand and take a lot longer to bring things to temperature...

Cheers!

does this help? I think their at least 4 inches from the bottom of the keggle.

brewstand14.JPG

brewstand15.JPG

brewstand16.jpg

Well, it helps on two issues: you have good spacing - maybe more than needed, even - but your screens look like their tops are too close to the keggles (I'm guessing there's almost no gap at all from the keg bottoms). When folks start out there, the next post is "Why does my flame pattern suck so bad?"

Cheers!

Well, it helps on two issues: you have good spacing - maybe more than needed, even - but your screens look like their tops are too close to the keggles (I'm guessing there's almost no gap at all from the keg bottoms). When folks start out there, the next post is "Why does my flame pattern suck so bad?"

Cheers!

what would you recommend I do?

It's not an "air in" problem, it's an "exhaust out" problem. And you need a crap ton of that, according to Charles Law.

I would rework the brackets holding the screens, make them an "el" so the top edge of the screens is at least an inch or more below the rim of the keggle bottoms. Then I'd adjust the position of the burners within the screens to keep them around 4" from the bottom of the keggles...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
It's not an "air in" problem, it's an "exhaust out" problem. And you need a crap ton of that, according to Charles Law.

I would rework the brackets holding the screens, make them an "el" so the top edge of the screens is at least an inch or more below the rim of the keggle bottoms. Then I'd adjust the position of the burners within the screens to keep them around 4" from the bottom of the keggles...

Cheers!

Good point. I was mistaken in my recollection of my college classes.

Back