jump a 240v outlet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksPA

Reaction score
clearly from the title, i don't know much more than anything about electric. However, I am a DIY person and when i put my mind to it, I get er done. I am just doing some research at this point, but I have a 240v outlet in my laundry room hooked up to my dryer (no surprise).

Can i jump from that outlet to another area in the house?

I know i have some outlets that are jumped in my house between upstairs and downstairs, but they are 110.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but if I can jump the outlet, can I brew and run the dryer at the same time, or would it be one or the other? :D Nothing like brewing beer and folding laundry right.

What's "jumping"?

If it means splitting off of the main line, here's my post a few weeks back on the subject, and everyone telling me no:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/step-1-power-panel-can-i-tee-line-275415/

If you break the rules, and split the line off, then it depends on your breaker size if you can run both. Most likely "no", since most dryer breakers are 30A, which is only enough for one or the other.

if you have a 30 amp line going to only your dryer, then all 30 amps are dedicated to the dryer. obviously you wouldnt be able to pull another 10-20 amps from that line while running the dryer.

as long as you are concious about not running both at the same time, there is no reason you cant run either the dryer OR a heating element from that one line. im planning on doing something like this for brewing in the winter time. im just going to build an e-kettle out of a spare keg and wire it up with the same plug that my dryer has on it, that way i can just unplug it and plug in my kettle when i need to.

you should do it that way instead of branching off the dryer connection and having a recepticle for the dryer and another seperate one for the kettle. if you have two recepticles, there is a physical possibility that you could turn both on at once. if you only have one recepticle and have to switch plugs, its impossible to run both things at once.

Back