Juicy Orange IPA (Mad Fox Orange Whip IPA clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrickyT

Reaction score
HopVille Recipe
Mad Fox Orange Whip IPA

Just started homebrewing last weekend (got a Summit IPA a few days away from 2nd fermenter) and I want to try to clone one of the most distinct IPA's I've ever put in my mouth, Mad Fox's Orange Whip IPA, made with plenty of Citra hops.
Being new to making beer recipes I would greatly appreciate feedback.

I'm going for a very sweet orange aroma, a juicy, citrusy, hoppy (no piney or spicy, just straight cirtus and floral) mouthfeel (maybe even sticky?) and a very wet, clean finish or dry. Also a deep amber/copper color with a thick, lacy white head would be amazing.

Here is the recipe list I made up last night for a 5gallon brew:

malt
% LB OZ MALT
46% 6 0 Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract
31% 4 0 American Two-row Pale
12% 1 8 Caramunich I
8% 1 0 American Crystal 20L
4% 0 8 Cara-Pils/Dextrine

Original Gravity
1.056 measured

Final Gravity
1.012 measured

Color
11° SRM / 22° EBC
(Copper to Red/Lt. Brown)

hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 1.5 Citra pellet 13.9
boil 30 mins 0.5 Citra pellet 13.9
boil 15 mins 0.5 Citra pellet 13.9
boil 10 mins 1.0 Citra pellet 13.9
boil 5 mins 1.0 Citra pellet 13.9
dry hop 14 days 3.0 Citra pellet 13.9

Bitterness
69.6 IBU

yeast
Wyeast Greenbelt

Alcohol
5.9% ABV

misc
USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
boil 15 min 0.1 liquid ozs Yeast Nutrient (WYeast)
boil 15 min 1 ea Whirlfloc Tablet info
secondary 7 days 0.5 ounces Orange Peel, Sweet
bottling 2.0oz Mandarin Orange Extract

Thoughts? Ideas? Feedback?

How did it turn out? I am quite a fan of the Mad Fox Orange Whip. I will be trying my own version for my next brew.

Wondering the same! I live close to Mad Fox and just had some Orange Whip IPA on tap a couple weekends ago :)

It's a good one to teach you how Citra Hops bitter, flavor, and add aroma to a brew.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but was planning a clone myself. They just announced they’re closing, so wanted to try and keep this delicious beer going somehow. Maybe Bill Madden will see this one day and chime in with some hints. Ringwood yeast?

I know many of his beers will be missed, but especially the Orange Whip IPA. It’s special! Thanks for all of the great memories, Mad Fox!

FB message them if you want info. It may be a bit chaotic over there right now with the closing but Bill might respond. I asked about their praha pils recipe awhile back because I loved it and wanted to make one and he gave me all the info I asked for(grains, hops, yeast, mash schedule). He's the nicest guy. I'm really sorry they're closing as I love that place and we go there frequently.

FB message them if you want info. It may be a bit chaotic over there right now with the closing but Bill might respond. I asked about their praha pils recipe awhile back because I loved it and wanted to make one and he gave me all the info I asked for(grains, hops, yeast, mash schedule). He's the nicest guy. I'm really sorry they're closing as I love that place and we go there frequently.

I was sitting with him a few weeks back talking to him about the Whip and he was dropping some good hints, but I didn't get the full recipe from him. I felt sheepish asking too much. Will try and swing through at a slow time over the next few weeks and see if he's around. He's def a super nice guy!

Latest posts

Back