JSP Maltmill and rat urine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiny_norman

Reaction score
I love my motorized grain mill, but not as much as the local rodent population, who have decorated the hopper and rollers. Any tips on how to best clean this?

Thouroughly?

Personally, I'd dissassemble it clean it and sanitize with StarSan. Not really necessary but it would make me feel better.

And then find a way to cover it.

I'm with Gila...

The good thing about the JSP mill is the ease of dis-assembly. Consider replacing the fibreboard sides while you are at it. That material will readily absorb the nastiness and never let it go. Maybe replace it will aluminum while you are at it? I'm planning to do mine sometime.

Sorry to hear about the rats. I hate those buggers. Live trap and a rain barrel makes quick work of them though.:D

Should I be concerned about rust? Once, I went almost 3 months without brewing and the rollers were starting to turn brown (fixed by running a couple of pounds of base malt through it). Warm water + oxyclean / PBW and rinse in Iodophor and dry thoroughly? Mineral oil? I've disassembled it before, so no worries there.

This would definitely be a good opportunity for me to super-size the hopper at the same time. Yep, that's my weekend sorted.

Latest posts

Back