Johnson Controls Thermostat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnoona

Reaction score
I have a chest freezer I'm converting into a keezer. I need to get a thermostat to hold the temps above freezing and saw the Johnson Controls A-19 thermostat on Northern Brewer's website that you just plug it into with the analog control dial. However, I found someone locally selling an A-19thermostat for only $15. My only concern is that there is no power cord sold with the used unit. Would does would that require me to wire it to set it up to function like the NB unit? Or do they all come that way? I don't have the know how or tools to do this if it would be required, so can someone provide a little insight on how this thermostat works?

although its claimed that the wiring is quite easy, i still went the easier route and bought the johnson controller

if you are in vernon hills, just go to Perfect Brewing on 176 - just about a quarter mile east of milwaukee road- he has the johnson controllers there- save yourself the money on shipping

Oh, I didn't know he had those for sale. That's my LHBS too.

My only concern is that this Craigslist find is only $15, which is a steal if it doesn't require any wiring know-how.

The wiring is actually pretty easy but, it doesn't hurt to have an electrician verify your work if possible.

Also, cheap deals can be found on the bay.

A note about the Johnson. It's analogue and has a 4 degree differential. This isn;t the end of the world. But if you ever decide to use the keezer for fermentation it's a pretty big swing.

That temp swing is OK with me, I won't be using this for anything besides Kegs. How easy is it to wire? Could a total noob manage? I don't want to burn my house down.

I haven't actually wired the Johnson but, I have wired (2) Ranco ETC's. One was a dual stage the other a single.

The single stage should be as easy as 3 wires onto screw terminals. You'd do well to pick up a strain relief at the store while you get that heavy duty (shortest available) extension coord. IIRC, Wal-Mart has a 6 foot, 3 wire, appliance coord that work great for these. they also should have the strain reliefs too.

Back