Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
75 raisins?

Yeah, the only three things you do NOT want to do to scale are cloves, cinnamon, and yeast. Yeast is the least important one though... I've over pitched by quite a bit with bread yeast and had no ill effects other than wasted yeast (I could used it elsewhere).

So does the recipe multiply easily so I can make a three gallon batch ? X3 on everything except yeast?

I was prepping my shopping list for this weekend's batch (I might use my new 7g conical fermenter thingamabob with the bulb at the bottom thingamabob that came last week) and looking at my notes I see that I used Red Star Champagne yeast for my "remarkable success". Thought it was worth putting down.

Getting clearer

IMG_0004.jpg

Made my first mead from this recipe yesterday. Very easy compared to beer. I did make on giant mistake by filling the gallon glass carboy up to about 2 inches from top. This morning I awoke to a loud pop. Best I can figure is that the pulp from the orange clogged the airlock and the pressure launched the airlock to my ceiling (10 foot) along with about a third of the mead. The airlock broke. perhaps from the landing. Being tired, I covered the neck of the carboy with tin foil and this morning I found my other airlock so I added some more water (a quart or so) and popped the airlock back on. If it does not start bubbling again, I may just dump it and start over again for fear of infection. May abandon the airlock in favor of a tube and water bottle airlock for heavy bubbling. Cheers.

I've had one of these going since March this year, the fruit dropped around three months after the initial brew.

Here's pictures from March (a few days after brewing), April, and June. I haven't looked at it since June.
cb2dde58b15711e3a77d12344b67e8d2_6.jpg
10175345_1398984263712958_651422395_a.jpg
10369321_802468746438872_677699363_a.jpg

Planning on bottling it in the next few weeks so I can let it settle, and give out a couple of bottles as Christmas presents.

Put down a 5 gallon batch on Saturday. Using EC-1118.

I zested the oranges (6 medium to small), then peeled them. So everything but the pith is in there. I expect there to be a relatively prominent difference in taste. But we'll see.

I'm at 4 months in the carboy, tastes mostly medicinal to me now, but hoping for the best eventually! Wound up with a killer headache the next day, and while I can't definitely say JAOM was the culprit, it's high on the list.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Made several batches of this mead and each were outstanding.

I haven't followed this thread in quite some time but coming back I can't believe how many people are attempting to bastardize this recipe to something better. It stands alone as written.

Execute exactly what it calls for - for small or bigger batches.

To experiment make 1 gallon batches.

I haven't followed this thread in quite some time but coming back I can't believe how many people are attempting to bastardize this recipe to something better. It stands alone as written.

Always experiment. Find something that works and make lots of that, to be sure. But always experiment.

I made 3 one gallon batches the first time, changing the yeast in 2 batches and fruit in one. Im glad I did. Now I have a small supply of each, and a way to taste the original and make some comparisons!!

I made 3 one gallon batches the first time, changing the yeast in 2 batches and fruit in one. Im glad I did. Now I have a small supply of each, and a way to taste the original and make some comparisons!!

Ooh! I'd be really interested in the results.

My first couple small batch was plain old bread yeast. I just put down a 5-gallon with EC-1118.

How is everyone serving this mead? Chilled, room temp, or slightly chilled. I've found mine to be 10-11 months old and prefer it chilled.

How is everyone serving this mead? Chilled, room temp, or slightly chilled. I've found mine to be 10-11 months old and prefer it chilled.

I made a gallon batch about nine months ago. I have 2 bottles remaining and prefer to drink it chilled. I doubt the remaining bottles will see their 1st birthday.

What have you got in the back left there?

Back left is from scratch plum melomel 5 lbs plums with about 3 lbs honey, lots of lees on bottom, has been racked now.
Back right is Blueberry Melomel

I just bottled this after 5 months, and I poured a glass because it seemed like the thing to do. WOW! This is good. Really really good!

Mine seems to have a bit too much clove and orange peel flavours (possibly a result of having sat on it for eight months? Pretty sure I didn't deviate with the amount of cloves). It's not bad, just a bit strong in those areas. Any suggestions on how to reduce that before bottling? I'll probably bottle in the next week or two.

Think a couple bottles from over a year ago with lees at the bottom are going to be OK? Found them under the bar counter earlier this month.

Think a couple bottles from over a year ago with lees at the bottom are going to be OK? Found them under the bar counter earlier this month.

They will probably be even better now. Time is good for mead. I assume the lees are just a small amount, you are not talking fruit, spices, and yeast?

Hey guys,

I made 2 2 gallon batches exactly the same but one was warmer than the other when I pitched the yeast. So the warmer one is fermenting fine but the cooler one barely has any activity. It just has foam around the floating oranges. Should I throw more yeast in or leave it? Thanks.

They will probably be even better now. Time is good for mead. I assume the lees are just a small amount, you are not talking fruit, spices, and yeast?

I think there might be some fruit parts in there. They are from my first batch where I learned it is best to secondary to keep the lees out of bottles.

I'll chill them and hope for the best.

It's been about three months, the mead has cleared and the fruit dropped but it's still sickenly sweet. I already bottled it but is there anything I can mix it with to mellow it out while drinking? Or will time still help with the sweetness? I may have to open a bottle to test gravity but it's got to be above 1.03.

-Jeff

This finishes really sweet and is designed to. I have made a ton of variants of this and still have 6 bottles left from my first batch that are now 2 years old. Adding raspberries to the recipe comes out awesome, and adding some cranberry juice can add some bitterness that reduces the sweetness. I have some 1 gallon batches from last year I need to bottle, I just have been too busy with school and work to get around to it.

The curse of the mead brewer is, I need to rack or bottle a bunch of stuff. The good thing is that time only helps mead. I have a 17% blueberry mead that has sat in the carboy for over a year I should rack and backsweeten soon.

Holy orange flavored jet fuel. This has improved because it used to be orange flavored rocket fuel. Next is Orange Gasoline then YAY! drinkable. Gonna try in a few more months (read April).

This finishes really sweet and is designed to. I have made a ton of variants of this and still have 6 bottles left from my first batch that are now 2 years old. Adding raspberries to the recipe comes out awesome, and adding some cranberry juice can add some bitterness that reduces the sweetness. I have some 1 gallon batches from last year I need to bottle, I just have been too busy with school and work to get around to it.

The curse of the mead brewer is, I need to rack or bottle a bunch of stuff. The good thing is that time only helps mead. I have a 17% blueberry mead that has sat in the carboy for over a year I should rack and backsweeten soon.

On the note of sweetness, this recipe takes advantage of the moderately low alcohol tolerance of the bread yeast.

1) You can sub the yeast for something more tolerant (as I have in the past - you end up with a very dry mead though),

2) you can reduce the starting fermentables (less honey means it will end up less sweet. You can always add more later if it's not sweet enough for you)

3) you may encounter a bread yeast with more tolerance as a "mutation" at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Made a batch today, sample was delicious! Can't wait to try it.

I bottled this earlier tonight. It was my first ever batch of mead. Started 10/07 and bottled 12/01. I ended up with 8 12oz bottles and what clear portion left in the siphon I put in a glass to try. It was definitely hot but I got some sweetness, some orange, and cinnamon flavors from it. I'm looking forward to trying it with some age on it.

At 5+ months, mine is approaching drinkable. Still crazy sweet, but if I forget about it for a couple years I think it will be tasty. Racked it to another vessel to age some more.

Two months.
Mine is totally drinkable and wonderful!!!!!

Was way sweeter than I thought it could ever be...
and smooth!

Next batch Im going to reduce the honey a tad and nix the clove and nutmeg.

Back