Jerky Making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacebrew

Reaction score
Man, jerky is such a great snack. Bought a dehydrator and fired her up, just a simple teryiyaki sauce. taste is phenomenal.

Does anyone here have any good jerky recipes?

At this time I'm just making mine from ground sirloin and the "jerky gun". I use the seasoning pack which is a packet of salt and a packet of "seasoning" dried something or other.

But I want to get back to slicing my own and marinating again. I like both, so it's nice to have a variety.

My wife loves jerky, so I negotiate with her. A little jerky for a little jerky...

How does home made jerky compare in sodium to the storebought stuff? I like jerky as a snack because of the protein to carb ratio. But the sodium is a real concern for my blood pressure. Do you have the salt the heck out of the home dried stuff?

How much meat?

In general:

2 cups soy sauce
1/4 cup worcestershire
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp cayenne
(black pepper cracked coarse over the trays after marination)

Marinate overnight

do not overlap in dehydrator, crack TONS of black pepper over it.

Do not overdry. remove smaller dried pieces as they dry.

ENJOY!

you can also just take a cardboard box, line it with aluminum foil, stick some dowels through it for disposable aluminum tray supports and insert a little plug in light bulb socket in the bottom. it keeps it at the perfect temp for dehydrating. can't remember what wattage, but i learned it from the alton brown on good eats.

Holy crap! I almost spit my beer out when I read this. That's hilarious.

If that's what keeps her going, I would have to spring for one of those big excalibur jobbies!

I may have to try the cardboard box. My target/walmart special with no fan SUCKS as much as something without a fan can suck.

*seriously, my above recipe is AWESOME. It isn't really mine, but it is tried and true. I add a lot of homegrown pepper powder, but cayenne will work. Less cayenne if you can't handle the spice*

I don't have any good ones, but I do make it a lot. I make dried beef (a step beyond jerky) for preserving.

I used to make it, but would usually end up eating it before it was all the way done. Yes, I like steaks rare...

I used to make it, but would usually end up eating it before it was all the way done. Yes, I like steaks rare...

Yeah, I like to make it so that it's real dry and will keep very well (for backpacking).

But I also like it tender and moist to eat right away. Man, I'm getting hungry for some jerky now. Another 1/2 hour to go...

How much meat?

In general:

2 cups soy sauce
1/4 cup worcestershire
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp cayenne
(black pepper cracked coarse over the trays after marination)

Marinate overnight

do not overlap in dehydrator, crack TONS of black pepper over it.

Do not overdry. remove smaller dried pieces as they dry.

ENJOY!

Yep this is how I used to do it, it always came out great. Sometimes I'd add a drop or 2 of liquid smoke. It's also important to use the leanest meat possible, the fat does not dehydrate.

Fat is likely to become rancid as well, "trim well thy meat oh jerker".;)

I am going to make a dehydrator out of a box, a fan, and a light fixture.

The one from Walmart is soooooooooocrappy.

only been making beef jerky for about 6 months, myself. i use round steak. the seasoning i use i buy from the local bass pro shop. mountain high jerky i think it's called.

Back