Jeep Vs. FJ Cruiser...opinions sought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Wrangler, which I love...for the most part. We live at elevation and a "TRUE" 4x4 is a must. My Jeep has tackled the snow/ice admirably, with the addition of dedicated snow tires on an extra set of rims. THis makes it exceedingly nimble and sure-footed. Plus, it just looks cool, with the hardtop, big bumper and winch. :ban:

My biggest beef with the Jeep is that it isn't the world's best passenger vehicle. Yes, yes, I know I can get the 4 door one, but I dont WANT to. I just don't care for the four-door model. Mostly, I just store the back seat, as it is useless and inconvienent. My Jeep is also loud on the highway, which gets old on long trips.

My husband needs a 4x4, though, and loves my Jeep. He has recommended that he take it and we get me an alternate vehicle, such as the FJ Cruiser.

I'm interested in folks' opinions who have owned an FJ or ESPECIALLY if you've owned both and could compare. Lemme know what you think.

thanks!

I've never owned anything other than bigass full sized sedans, and a mustang due to marriage. But my opinion is that the FJ Cruiser is ugly, and long wrangler is not so much ugly as it is just weird looking. But go to a dealership and see if they'll let you test-drive an FJ off-road. Or if not, maybe a car rental company will have one, and you could rent one the next time you go on a trip or something. Just make sure you wash it before returning it to the rental place.

Nic

FJ FTMFW...

yeah JEEP is tried and true, but Toyota's run forever, the FJ is just bad ass if I had the option and money to choose I would be in an FJ. heck I have a 97 4-Runner with 170K on it and it runs just as good today as it did when it was new. my In-laws are JEEP only people with a wranger, a Cherokee, and an old 70's 3/4 ton jeep truck.

each one requires so much maintenance its nickel and dimming them to death so much so that FIL doesn't even drive it to work, but rather my house and catches a ride into work with me.

-=Jason=-

129_0902_01_z+2007_toyota_fj_cruiser+aerial_view.jpg

2007-toyota-fj-cruiser-rubicon-trip-9-07-018.jpg

2008_Toyota_FJ_Cruiser_titanium.jpg

0.jpg

this isnt helpful but...a guy i work with's wife bought a yellow fj. her friend told her it looks like someone bit the head off of a peep.

We'll I think they look tits. My, aren't we all contributing to this thread.:rolleyes:

-

If it was me I'd go Crew Cab Frontier or Tacoma with the 4x4 package. I have an 07 Nismo Frontier CC and love it. I prefered the body style and the nerf bars.
As a whole a midsize CC pickup is more verstile - rides 5, child safety hookups, more leg room in the back, plus the bed and a great on the fly 4x4 system and traction control. Wife's friend has an FJ, she didn't like the back seat and said it was like getting into a coupe 2 ft off the ground.

22477950049_large.jpg

BTW this is not mine. Mines blue

I have a 2008 Xterra and love that as well. Lots of power and can get through anything. Gas milage like any of them is to be desired.

i personally dont think anything compares to a jeep, least of all an FJ. if you dont mind higher maintenance costs, id get a rover defender, but i dont think i could ever recommend an FJ. its a gigantic plastic bubble and while it may run forever on the street, i dont have the same faith in build quality for off road.

id agree a crew cab 4x4 american truck is a better alternative.

but it is a contentious topic with clear lines drawn... those that know what they are talking about will say jeep. the wrong ones will say FJ.

definitely take one or rent one, take it off road and put it through its paces then let us know where your confidence level is.

I drive a '10 JK Wrangler, my second Wrangler. All I recommend is that you spend some time on youtube. I wasn't impressed with the FJ's off-road performance in some of the videos available there.

I drive a '10 JK Wrangler, my second Wrangler. All I recommend is that you spend some time on youtube. I wasn't impressed with the FJ's off-road performance in some of the videos available there.

Excellent idea! I don't really do any recreational off-roading, but our road and driveway is a challenge. We have 18" of powder on the ground right now, for example. I wont be doing any rock crawling or anything, but the usual SUV wouldn't last long.

I used to own a Land Cruiser and belonged to a club of intense off-roaders. A couple guys in the club owned new FJ's. They said the vehicle was quite capable off road right out of the showroom.

Given a choice between Jeep and Toyota... well, there is no choice really. Toyota

kind of like we've done here to learn about brewing, may be you could lurk here a bit to learn some...

I take Wildwest's description, too (tits!) - and I've had no problems with my Toyota ever...

FWIW - many Toyotas are 90% or more US made - while the muscle car of ever - Mustang - is now only 65% U.S.

I used to own a Land Cruiser and belonged to a club of intense off-roaders. A couple guys in the club owned new FJ's. They said the vehicle was quite capable off road right out of the showroom.

Given a choice between Jeep and Toyota... well, there is no choice really. Toyota

This was going to be my suggestion. There has to be some kind of off roading club around you somewhere. If you were to go talk to them, maybe you might be able to go for a ride with them to see about the suspension and ride comfort, etc. They'd also be a good source about reliability and repair costs, I'm guessing.

I've got a 2010 FJ, and couldn't be happier. This is my fifth Land Cruiser, and honestly only have two complaints: the view out the back is fairly bad, moreso with an non-stock sized tire on the carrier, and the lack of heated seats/mirrors/windshield. Yeah, I'm getting soft in my old age! The styling is polarizing, so you either like it or not. I like it, natch, and appreciate the nod Toyota gave to their heritage of Jeep beating vehicles. :rockin: Kidding all you Jeep folks! There is at least one Toyota club in Jasper, TN:
SE Toyota Land Cruiser Association.

The interior is roomy, and I like that the interior is waterproofed so you can supposedly hose it out w/out ruining anything. Haven't tried that one though. The HVAC controls are huge and designed that way so they can be operated while wearing gloves. I like the cargo capacity, and it is rated to tow 5000 pounds, not that I'd try that out here in Colorado. I was able to put a full sized two stage snowblower in the back w/out any problems, seats folded down. Gas mileage isn't great as you would expect. I get around 17-18 with mixed driving, but that is with my KM2's. The 2010's got a new engine with around 20 more hp, torque was about even I think, but they are blessed to run on regular fuel. Prior to 2010, premium was recommended.

Jeeps are unique in the market, for new vehicles at least. I won't knock them, but will say that I don't believe there's many 4x4's built better than a Toyota truck. As long as it's properly maintained and doesn't get wrecked, my FJ will probably outlive me. And just for reference, I also have a 1964 Toyota FJ-40 that is older than me by three weeks. Drive them both and see which one you like. They are different trucks built to a different purpose. The FJ is a very capable offroad rig out of the box.

Here's a glamour shot of mine after I installed the sliders and before I upgraded the tires to KM2's:
sliders003.jpg

Thanks for the info, Pilot210. I like the styling just fine and was impressed by offroad capability when El Hubbo and I stumbled on a rock crawling event a couple of years ago.

I will just have to bite the bullet and go drive one...which I don't mind...what I mind is having to talk to a car dealer. :drunk:

Okay, folks with FJ's...I keep hearing about the visibility problem. Can you chime in on your experience over time with changing lanes, backing up and whatnot?

thanks

I love my 2002 Chevy S10 ZR2. I can go anywhere haul anything. I have hauled boats and loads of wood. My stock Z is more than capable offroad vehicle. I would take the pepsi challenge with any other stock 4x4 truck/suv. I can do anything a jeep can and haul all the camping gear.

232323232%7Ffp733%3B6%3Enu%3D379%3B%3E%3B83%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3357%3A43772347nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp733%3B7%3Enu%3D379%3B%3E%3B83%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3357%3A48263347nu0mrj

How about a 4-Runner? I've also had a Tundra Rock Warrior, my 4 Runner has taken me WAY beyond anywhere I could get in the Tundra. River crossings, rock faces, etc.

The V8 is quite stout, but with the lift/tires, you'll get 11ish MPG....eh.

IMG_6913.jpg

PC160203.jpg

I love my 2002 Chevy S10 ZR2. I can go anywhere haul anything. I have hauled boats and loads of wood. My stock Z is more than capable offroad vehicle. I would take the pepsi challenge with any other stock 4x4 truck/suv. I can do anything a jeep can and haul all the camping gear.

You mean 'many' things... The wheel base difference alone would make me tend to disagree with your claim to be able to do 'anything' a jeep can do.. and then there's all the metal sticking past the end of your rear axle that only amplifies the wheel base issue...

But, there are a lot of other benefits that you enjoy that jeepers don't.. such as the cargo capacity... but don't kid yourself in thinking that you can go 'anywhere' a jeep can... That's just not true...

You mean 'many' things...

I have to agree with this. I've had two Jeeps, and two pickups. One of those pickups was when I was living in Colorado. I didn't have a Jeep while I was out there, but some of my friends did, and I can guarantee that I wasn't able to go places they easily could. I would carry the load when we went camping/fishing of course, but once camp was set up, the Jeeps got us into the deep-backcountry.

I have to agree with this. I've had two Jeeps, and two pickups. One of those pickups was when I was living in Colorado. I didn't have a Jeep while I was out there, but some of my friends did, and I can guarantee that I wasn't able to go places they easily could. I would carry the load when we went camping/fishing of course, but once camp was set up, the Jeeps got us into the deep-backcountry.

We could drive right out my back gate, me in the YJ, and him in his Pick up.... and within a mile I'd be going places without even breaking a sweat, and he'd be breaking out the shovel, the jack, and the come along, with his GF on the cell calling triple A... (if she could get a signal that is)

OK "many" of the things a Jeep can do. I haven't wheeled it too aggressively but never been left behind by any Jeeps. We are getting 8in of snow right now, just went and played in it. Now when you Jeep guys need someone to haul the kegs, give me a call.:mug:

OK "many" of the things a Jeep can do. I haven't wheeled it too aggressively but never been left behind by any Jeeps. We are getting 8in of snow right now, just went and played in it. Now when you Jeep guys need someone to haul the kegs, give me a call.:mug:

No need.. I homebrew.. But thanks for the offer!

Now if you want to give a few young hotties a ride over here to help me drink it..
(insert lecherous grin here)
:D

I own an FJ and its awesome! Had it everywhere the Olympics, Hood, Cascades, various fishing spots and never had an issue. Its got a nice respectable 3in lift from Pro-Comp with sexy as **** wheels to go with. IMO the FJ has blindspots you really need to get used to but its alot quieter than a Jeep.

FJ or T4R = best of both worlds.

Offroad and keghauling ability.

:)

The Tundra I had...My 4 Runner has gone far and beyond where I went in the Tundra. Not only does the suspension play a part, but that long wheelbase and long overhangs make it tough to get up or down steep slopes.

6-1.jpg

I own an FJ and its awesome! Had it everywhere the Olympics, Hood, Cascades, various fishing spots and never had an issue. Its got a nice respectable 3in lift from Pro-Comp with sexy as **** wheels to go with. IMO the FJ has blindspots you really need to get used to but its alot quieter than a Jeep.

Quieter, too? Even at highway speeds?

I'm a little surprised by that. I figured they'd be comparable in that regard.

Back