Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jay, does the hop halter have SS screen on the top too? I'm trying to envision how this goes together with the false bottom and dip tube. Any more pics other than the one on your site that could provide a clearer picture?

Thanks.

Ridereck
So Sorry I didn't see this post till now...

There are several picts on the site of the hop halter. No it does not have anything on the top of it. It is designed to sit under a 15" hinged false bottom so the false bottom is its top. and as of right now it "ONLY" works under the 15" false bottom.
I can have Victor shoot you a few more picts if you like. PM my your email addy....
Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay I have been dancing back and forth between you and Sabco for a false bottom. My biggest concern that I have not found an answer to is has anyone had any issues with grain sneaking past your false bottom. Please say no because I like to support the small businesses whenever possible....

Hi Jay I have been dancing back and forth between you and Sabco for a false bottom. My biggest concern that I have not found an answer to is has anyone had any issues with grain sneaking past your false bottom. Please say no because I like to support the small businesses whenever possible....

Well the reality is when you dump your grain in the mash tun anything that is less than the 3/32" hole, can get by. Its our job as the brewer to get it out with our recirculation process, and get it back on top of the grain bed, so the filter that we create with the mash can stop it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Jay

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do you make a false bottom for the 20/25 gallon Megapots? I believe the diameter is 19 5/8, I don't see that diameter listed on your site.

Also would your false bottom plus a false bottom stand be able to hold 55lbs of grains? BTW the hinged false bottom I got from you works great in my keggle mash tun.

Me too! I have talked a few of my friends into ordering these fb's, now its my turn...

Do you have the fitment perfected for the usual 15.5g US Microstar style kegs or do I still need to measure? I want to get the 15" fb with hinge, handle, and diptube as soon as the next deal comes around.

Hi Jay
Ditto that. I have a 15.5 keg cut and getting couplings welded right now. do you have a pre-set false bottom dip tube combo that i could buy?

Hey Jaybird, what size do I need for a 10 gal Home Depot (I assume RubberMaid) insulated cooler. I would like to have a dip tube too it but I guess I could just run a 90 out of the false bottom and run some silicone tubing to the weldless fitting.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but do you make a false bottom for the 20/25 gallon Megapots? I believe the diameter is 19 5/8, I don't see that diameter listed on your site.

Also would your false bottom plus a false bottom stand be able to hold 55lbs of grains? BTW the hinged false bottom I got from you works great in my keggle mash tun.
Yep I would just cut down a 22 1/4" for you to fit that kettle. yes they will most definitely hold 55# of grain and all the water you can throw at it!. I sell these for the 55 gallon drums and guys are tossing in a lot more than that.
SO all you would need to order is the 22 1/4" add the stand and give me a measurement @ check out.
Hi Jay
Ditto that. I have a 15.5 keg cut and getting couplings welded right now. do you have a pre-set false bottom dip tube combo that i could buy?
nope. Too many people want to mix and match. The 15" hinged with handle and hole and add the diptube. I like to give you guys the option to customize them any way you want.
Hey Jaybird, what size do I need for a 10 gal Home Depot (I assume RubberMaid) insulated cooler. I would like to have a dip tube too it but I guess I could just run a 90 out of the false bottom and run some silicone tubing to the weldless fitting.
Measure it 1 7/8" above the bottom and get the 10 gallon cooler kit. But please let me know the size so I can send you the correct one. Not all the 10 gallon coolers are the same diameter. So I build them to fit your needs
hey Jay, sent you a PM last week...

the 22 1/4 inch FB fits a 55 gallon drum, right? i see there is nothing under the drum tab on the site..

thanks!

Yep they sure do. Sorry for not getting back to you. I didnt see the PM come in..

Cheers
Jay

Yay. I'm glad me having no shame paid off :p. Looking forward to it!

?Sale bump? I have no shame either. Putting together a new system and I need a false bottom, lol

OK guys here we go!!!

Free shipping on the first 20 false bottom orders made from midnight November 24th 2011 through midnight Nov 25th 2011.
This will be an HBT offer.

How can you get it? Look for my new Black Friday Jaybird false bottom thread and follow the directions...... I will post it up in a bit...

Cheers
Jay

For the 10" keg conversion kit, do I need hinges?

Or is the 10" not the best size for a keg mashtun conversion?

Thanks,
Scott

For the 10" keg conversion kit, do I need hinges?

Or is the 10" not the best size for a keg mashtun conversion?

Thanks,
Scott

For the mash tun most go with the 15" hinged but the 12",13" and 14" also work well.
you only need to hinge them if the hole in your keg is smaller than false bottom you are ordering.
Cheers
Jay

For the mash tun most go with the 15" hinged but the 12",13" and 14" also work well.
you only need to hinge them if the hole in your keg is smaller than false bottom you are ordering.
Cheers
Jay

Another question: If you get a hinged false bottom does it need supports to prevent it from collapsing under grain weight?

Another question: If you get a hinged false bottom does it need supports to prevent it from collapsing under grain weight?

I think he said on his site only the abnormally large ones (>18 or something) need a support bracket. These seem to be pretty sturdy, most people here on HBT don't have support and have 0 issues.

Wow thanks for the quick reply on Thanksgiving.

Next question
I want to buy the FB with a hole and dip tube. Is there a standard dip tube you use? Is the stand necessary for a mashtun?

Thanks again,
Scott

Cheers
Jay

Hey Jay,
Im looking for the 2 piece false bottom for the full size keggle do you have them for sale and how much

I am starting to offer a stand for the guys that are pounding their mash tuns with 35# + of grain and seeing a little bowing. If you stay around the 27# to 29# of grain there is really no need for a stand. I use the same FB and mash in with 30# all the time without problems.

Wow thanks for the quick reply on Thanksgiving.

Next question
I want to buy the FB with a hole and dip tube. Is there a standard dip tube you use? Is the stand necessary for a mashtun?

Thanks again,
Scott
I sell a custom diptube that I cut for your system. It's 1/2" stainless tubing.

Hey Jay,
Im looking for the 2 piece false bottom for the full size keggle do you have them for sale and how much

2 pc? like hinged? or do you want them to stay 2pc?
my 15" hinged is $93.96 with the handle and the hole.
Cheers
Jay

Jaybird said:
I am starting to offer a stand for the guys that are pounding their mash tuns with 35# + of grain and seeing a little bowing. If you stay around the 27# to 29# of grain there is really no need for a stand. I use the same FB and mash in with 30# all the time without problems.

I sell a custom diptube that I cut for your system. It's 1/2" stainless tubing.

2 pc? like hinged? or do you want them to stay 2pc?
my 15" hinged is $93.96 with the handle and the hole.
Cheers
Jay

I was wanting them to stay two piece they look like half circle shape and the straight side has a 90 deg bent lip about 2 inches. You stick the bent lips back to back in bottom of keg cooker bent lip down. Do you have anything like that. Im trying to get cheaper than 60.00 that brew shop has here if possible.

I was wanting them to stay two piece they look like half circle shape and the straight side has a 90 deg bent lip about 2 inches. You stick the bent lips back to back in bottom of keg cooker bent lip down. Do you have anything like that. Im trying to get cheaper than 60.00 that brew shop has here if possible.
I dont have anything like that...I sure could make it but its going to be more than the $60 at your brew store....
I JUST ORDERED MINE (happy birthday to myself!) I cant wait for this baby to get here!!!

Happy birthday!!

Thanks for the order!

Jay

Jaybird..

I ordered a 15" FB from you and it's working great in the mash tun! However, now I need something I can use in the BK to filter whole hops. However, I use an immersion chiller and would rather not have it rest on the dip tube. So I was thinking about a 15" false bottom with the hole drilled only 2-3 inches from the side wall which would leave plenty of space for the chiller to rest on the false bottom. Just had a couple questions.

1. What is the main difference between a hop stopper and a false bottom when it comes to using in the BK solely to filter whole hops? Would one be better than the other??

2. One thing I had in mind was getting a hop stopper, but then having the hole for the pickup tube drilled in the side of it rather than going through the top. This way my chiller could just sit on top of it. Would this work?

3. Is the hop halter needed when using pellet hops only? Whole hops won't get through a false bottom, so I'm guessing the hop halter would be unnecessary for whole hops?

Jaybird,

I'm about to order a FB, dip tube and weldless keg kit from you. Any deals for Christmas before I place the order? I may order a Hopstopper as well!

Looking to have 1/2 couplings welded onto my keggle and wandering if you would give me a quote for a 15" folding FB/w hole with a stainless pick tube that would thread into 1/2" coupling. Much praise from other members so I guess your the man.

Or do you think a 14" or 12" FB would work better? :mug:

Latest posts

Back