Java Stout questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DurangoMatt

Reaction score
Making a Java Stout from Midwest. It wants me to do a primary and a secondary. It wants the coffee added to the secondary. I have seen that a lot of people on this site don't use secondary. Should I use one in this case? If not how much longer in the primary and when should I add the coffee? Should I add the coffee to the primary or the bottling bucket? How long should I wait to bottle?

Brew Day was 7/31
OG 1.042
Yeast Starter
Very little gas since 8/3

I am planning a similar brew. I am thinking adding beans to the primary when fermentation is pretty much done. Of course I have also thought about adding brewed coffee to the bottling bucket. I think I may try adding the beans to the primary the day before or at most two days before bottling.

For most beers I don't bother with a secondary, but stouts are one of the brews that I usually do a secondary with only because I find them to be much better after about 12 weeks. I'll do roughly 3 weeks primary, 8 weeks secondary, 10 days carbing in the keg.

So based on using a secondary for stouts, would you add coffee beans the entire time in the secondary?

The recipe asks to add 8 cups of brewed coffee not beans. What do you think about that? Should I add beans? What would be the difference?

Your choice on the when to coffee. I've brewed hot, cold and espresso for my chocolate coffee stouts. I have not done beans whole or crushed. I've used a secondary, I've done it at bottling. So far, all worked pretty good. No one method stands out as superior to the other, so it's a matter of what you have in front of you to use.

I used whole beans last time, put them in towards the end of the seondary or after your ready to keg, give it a few more days rack it into the keg or bottle when it gets to where you want it by taste.

Brewed on 7/31
OG 1.042
Lots of gas at first
No Gas 8/3

Racked to Secondary on 8/18
added 7 cups of brewed coffee
FG 1.014

Bottled on 8/22
5oz of priming sugar

8/22 Little carb, but good taste

8/30 Perfect

Love this beer. Would make it again. Huge hit with the family