Japan Hops Trading -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3/4 for me are doing great. had a slow start since rainy season down here in Okinawa. but recently the sun has been out for days. make sure to get some snail poison or something from makemon. hops are crack to critters and slugs.

My centennial is doing ok, but the chinook hasnt even sprouted. Its getting more sunlight than the centennial, so I might move the pots around and support the cent a bit more as it should be a nice healthy plant next year.

Today it looks like my last unsprouted rhizome is finally sprouting.
Yes, that bud that broke the surface this morning is a young Cascade. That means that if you planted the rhizomes horrizontally, 1/2~1 inch below the surface, and watered twice daily, (or as needed to keep them in a good mood) then with-in the next week, some of your slow pokes might be knocking on your door. If you were slower to plant, or didn't water, or underwatered, bathed they or planted them upside down etc., you might need some more time before giving up.

I did my best (x0.7) and it took till now for the last guy to show his face...
so don't give up yet!

In the end it seems all four of my rhizomes worked. Centennial and magnum are up to the second floor balcony and cascade and chinook just sprouted last week. Any other updates?

Hi, greetings from Tokushima! Does anybody by any chance have anything to offer this year? I had some Cascade and EKG in containers last year which grew quite ok but didnt produce any cones, I'm planning to dig up and divide the roots to plant out this year and not sure how much is under the soil yet yet but would be happy to pay or exchange for something else otherwise. Cheers

It is still too early to do anything, but I have lots of buds on what was planted last year.
It is normal for first year plants not to produce many cones if any. I do not have any EKG and might be interested. What do you want to grow?

There should be a lot of people in Tokyo!
What happened? Did North Korea miss Guam?
Or did Godzilla come back for Obon Hollidays

Hey - your tiny little Mass looks sadly empty!

Looks like you need a refill....

There should be a lot of people in Tokyo!
What happened? Did North Korea miss Guam?
Or did Godzilla come back for Obon Hollidays

Hey - your tiny little Mass looks sadly empty!

Looks like you need a refill....

Yes to all of the above. First it was the nukes from North Korea, which woke up Godzilla who then went on a rampage. Absolute devastation. Millions dead. Fortunately I was in Akita at the time, so the only casualty was the death of everyone I knew. Of course they haven't been reporting it on the news so as to avoid mass hysteria.

Now, being that the majority of the city is in shambles, my apartment included, I figured it was as good enough time as any to brew. Only, I've grown weary of the 7 kinds of hops available at the “local“ online retailer. So, I was wondering what any survivors in the Tokyo area might be growing. And perhaps pick their brain a bit.

Does anyone know what sort of wild hops grow in the Nagano area. Came across these bad boys on my mountain ride today. I squashed one up and they smell quite nice. I will go back and pick what I can probably this afternoon or tomorrow.
IMG_20181013_120309_940.jpeg

Either naturalized/feral Humulus lupulus lupulus, or indigenous Humulus lupulus cordifolius. Any males in sight? Any seeds in there?

Continuing to wake this old thread. Do people still need hops in Japan? I have some land there and was looking to grow some hops next year.

Hello all. A friend and I will want to try some hops growing this spring. Novices starting some small scale homebrewing in Saitama Japan. I would like to know if there is anyone here who could help me obtain rhizomes to start growing. We are not particular about a variety. Thanks for the help!!

Frank

Alternatively, I would be happy to organize a group buy of Rhizomes if some are interested.

Hello
I come back to this topic. does anyone have wild hop seeds from Japan named Cordifolius?

I’m looking for some for my hop breeding and crossing program.
thank you in advance.

(in exchange I have wild hops seeds from Colorado Neomexicanus)

Hello

I am working on an article about growing hops in Japan. I am looking to see if anyone on this forum knows of a source in Japan to get rhizomes or has had success importing rhizomes into Japan. Any help would be appreciated.

Luke Pernotto

I recently saw a show on NHK tv featuring some guys who opened a brewery. They made a wet hop beer from a local hop grower.
Sorry, that's all I remember.

Hi hi,
New to this site and wondering if this thread is still going.
I live in Kyushu and am interested in growing hops. Started home brewing recently and looking into growing my own hops.

Back