Janet's Brown in a carboy...and all over the _____

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMan551

Reaction score
It might be easier to describe where it isn't. Ceiling, wall, doors, window, bed, and of course the floor! LOL

I got my girlfriend to help me brew a Janet's Brown yesterday. This was my second brew (third if you count the 'assisting' I did on an all grain RIS), and the first time I've made a starter. We hit our numbers, everything went great, pitched the starter and stored in the extra bedroom like the previous couple of ferments I've done. I stuck a 1/2 tube on the air lock to act as a blow off, poor design I know but it's the only way I could provide an exit for the possible blow off. I woke this morning to a nice mess of all over the carboy and luckily into the tub it was sitting in. I replaced the blow off thinking the worst was over...the boiling sound coming from my blow off jug should have told me otherwise.
Fast forward to after work....I come home and the entire house smells like beer. I immediately thought that one of my newly bottled Hefs might have gone kaboom, but all was well. I walked into the spare bedroom to find explosion all over the ceiling and one of the walls!!! There was small bits of dry foam about everywhere else, it was truly amazing. I still cannot believe it.

Oh well, nice mess and a little less Janet's Brown! I was worried about infection, but as soon as I placed an airlock on top the water was boiling like crazy again. I will assume there was so much CO2 coming out that nothing got in <fingers crossed>.

to be continued...hopefully not though!

JER

Even with normal fermentations, and especially with violent ones, the CO2 is leaving a protective layer over the beer. Have you heard of Anchor Brewing in San Fransico? They use open vats and trust in this very fact (along with many other famous comercial breweries). Yep, you're correct, it's ok.

What the pics do not show is a layer of fine foam bits that covered everything in the room (bed, papers, clothes, etc). It was a crazy site!

JER

Even with normal fermentations, and especially with violent ones, the CO2 is leaving a protective layer over the beer. Have you heard of Anchor Brewing in San Fransico? They use open vats and trust in this very fact (along with many other famous comercial breweries). Yep, you're correct, it's ok.

This is the exact science I'm counting on! Since I just bottled my first homebrew...I can't RDWHAHB, so I'll drink some other good beer instead!

JER

Back