Jamil sells Heretic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
file.jpg

Heretic always seemed like a love letter to the mid 2000s ibu wars and his glory days as a homebrewer; however, it never seemed like a big deal outside of older homebrewers who witnessed his heyday.
Which is exactly why I, and a lot of others, enjoy the hell out of that place. I’ll take mid 2000’s over much of the rubbish being cranked out these days.

JZ just posted on FB:

"The new owners of Heretic Brewery and Distillery have terminated my employment to "save money." I no longer have any involvement with what they produce or how the business is run."

Well, that sucks. Gotta any more details? The first impressions I get from your quote make me think this has happened on bad terms.

JZ just posted on FB:

"The new owners of Heretic Brewery and Distillery have terminated my employment to "save money." I no longer have any involvement with what they produce or how the business is run."

Not surprised. I don't mean to pile on to my past comment but what is a conglomerate trying to brew beer in 2022 going to do with a guy who brewed beer like it was twenty years ago? They are a financial interest motivated by selling as much beer as they can as fast as they can. An 80 IBU IPA just isn't a seller these days. Jamil opened Heretic ten years too late and basically sold beer based on who he was which hasn't been a thing for a long time. I hope he moves on to an area of of the beer or homebrewing industry where he can be passionate again and balance his life against his career. He still has enough cache to reinvest himself in the industry if he wants but he always seemed a little half-disinterested by the time Heretic came out.

Jamil was my pilot as I learned to brew beer. Also, Tasty, Palmer, the rest of them (can't remember now). I lived by his podcasts and book (Brewing Classic Styles). I hope he goes back to his homebrew roots in some fashion.

I'd think he could be a great spokesperson for one of the hardware groups (Blichmann, Spike, SS Brewing, Grainfather, etc). Would be cool to see him retrace his brewing podcasts, but with an AIO (all in one) system. I see the day when I get rid of all my heft SS 3-vessel system and try a countertop thingy. I'd love to have Jamil leading the way with that :)

I don’t worship Jamil but this news still really sucks. Hate when ironic stuff like this happens.
Really? Jamil knows what he's doing and when he sold the brewery and stayed on as an employee he knew that it wasn't going to be forever.
He could have kept the brewery or insisted on a long contract if he really wanted to. He got exactly what he wanted, so it doesn't suck for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets back into the brewing business at some time, but I'm hoping he re-starts the Can You Brew It podcast series.

Not surprised. I don't mean to pile on to my past comment but what is a conglomerate trying to brew beer in 2022 going to do with a guy who brewed beer like it was twenty years ago? They are a financial interest motivated by selling as much beer as they can as fast as they can. An 80 IBU IPA just isn't a seller these days. Jamil opened Heretic ten years too late and basically sold beer based on who he was which hasn't been a thing for a long time.
imma gonna disagree with you about jamil brewing beer that is out of date, unwanted, etc. his production has been growing year over year - that doesn't happen if you brew stuff that no one wants. for us homebrewers we think Heretic = Jamil. for the 99+% of the country that doesn't homebrew, Heretic is just another craft brewery. it's that overwhelming majority that drives sales, not us Jamil worshippers.

i completely agree that the new owners are interested in selling as much product as possible. if they decide that keeping Jamil around isn't going to further this goal, they are absolutely within their rights to dismiss him. the issue here, to me, is how he was dismissed. i'm sure JZ would like (have liked?) Heretic to continue successfully into the future, so the fact that he is completely distancing himself from his former baby is telling.

Back