Jagerschnitzel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOB

Reaction score
I've never been a big fan of Guy Fieri but I happened to catch his show the day after I visited Hofbrauhaus and this seemed to fit perfectly to the mood I was in. Check it out:

Jagerschnitzel with Bacon Mushroom Gravy Recipe : Guy Fieri : Food Network

Turned out damn good on my first attempt. The Panko Bread Crumbs are a must - you just cant get the same crunch with regular bread crumbs. My wife and I only made half the portion but still made all the gravy to go on top.

Definitely a new favorite whenever we have pork loin around!

:mug:

Sounds good. The wife is heading to the store today, now I have a few things to add to the list.

We like to buy the whole pork loins when they are on sale. You can get a 20lb pork loin for about $1 a pound sometimes. We will then cut it up into meal-sized chunks, maybe 2 pounds, and freeze it.

why not just go to the biergaurten and have them make one :snark: one of the many things i love about germany.

Unfortunately it's a 2 hour drive...that's a little far to get some food and a belly full of beer and have to drive home :)

Plus I enjoy cooking almost as much as I enjoy brewing!

Jaeger is good stuff, I tend to buy the pork loins and make my own schnitzel regularly, must try making the Jaegersosse sometime.

You can't have Jaegerschnitzel without a Shot of ouzo before, or after, or both; I think it's the law :D Regards, GF.

I made this for the family last Friday night along with the spaetzle and it was a huge hit. The kids even loved it. Of course the youger ones though that it was chicken, and my oldest went around trying to say jagerschnitzel the rest of the weekend... but this will now be a regular in our house.

I subbed Northern German Alt for wine in the gravy. Good stuff.

I agree on just about everything. Not a big Guy Fieri fan...love the Panko over regular bread crumbs (usually)...and Jagerschnitzel is prob my favorite one. I will be making this very soon.

Lol...I just bought bottom round for Country Fried Steak...which was developed by Germans who settled in central Texas and made a version of schnitzel using local ingredients. So maybe I'll wait...a few days.:D

That's off the hook.

And what's with the stupid sunglasses tan all the time?? Seriously.

Like the places the show covers, though...

I'm finally getting around to making this...for a similar reason as SOB...I just had dinner @ Hofbrauhaus Las Vegas last week.:mug: I had their Oktoberfest Goulash so I didn't get my Jaegerschnitzel fix.:D

I just noticed that Guy's recipe does not use any sour cream yet many recipes do. Is this just a regional thing or are there two different dishes (i.e. essentially the same dish but one has a dark brown gravy and the other has a lighter-colored gravy with sour cream in it)?

I think I'll pass on the spaetzel tonight and just use egg noodles.

And an Oktoberfest beir or 3 of course.

A breaded tenderloin is the American version of a schnitzel.

My wife learned how to cook schnitzel and homemade spaetzle in Germany and gnocchi in Italy from our friends there.

I know I'm in for a good dinner when I start hearing pounding coming from the kitchen!! And cold Aunt Nellie's Red Cabbage...yum...;) :mug:

I saw this was back up here this morning and got a hankerin' for some schnitzel...figured I would post a couple pics this time.

All prepared:

picture_0572.jpg

Final product with a Blue Balls Belgian Wit:

picture_0582.jpg

yum.

I applied to be the Kitchen manager at a german brewpub this week...
I love me some jagerschnitzel.

Prost!

A breaded tenderloin is the American version of a schnitzel.
I've heard that Country Fried Steak orig came about in Texas from German immigrants adapting to local ingredients.

SOB that looks awesome. I just made it the other night but did not add the bacon...although the schnitzel was fried in bacon grease and the sauce was made with bacon grease. I added a little sour cream at the end.

Good luck at the Brewpub thataint!

Some sour cream sounds tasty...I'll have to give that a try next time. I have the leftovers in the fridge here at work. The stuff heats up well the next day and doesn't get too soggy.

Did you make a roux? I sauteed the mushrooms seperately and set aside...then sauteed the onions in bacon grease...then added some flour and made a roux. Then the beef stock and a little sherry and some Thyme, White Pepper, Parsley, and Paprika...salt to taste. Then the mushrooms were added and a little sour cream.

I'm cooking the remaining two pork cutlets tonight with the leftover sauce.:mug:

Yes, you saute the onions in bacon fat add the shrooms and them add flour to make the roux. After a couple minutes add stock and let thicken. When serving add 2T butter. Next time I'll try adding sour cream instead of the butter at the end.

I was a little concerned with all the moisture from the mushrooms messing with the roux so that's why I did them seperately and then added them at the end. Nice to know I can just save a step and throw 'em in just before the flour.

Back