JaDed Hydra Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Several of us were discussing this IC, and I agreed to post an impartial review after I got one and used it. I am unbiased and not connected with JaDed Brewing. This chiller is replacing my old 25' el cheepo IC.

I talked with a nice gentleman at JaDed who helped me make sure the Hydra's standard dimensions would fit in my main kettle which is a Blichmann 10G non electric. My secondary kettle is a 20G non electric Blichmann, so we considered the fitment on that kettle as well. Height was my main concern here.

The IC arrived quickly after a 10 day build as they shipped 2 day. My first impression was how well made this unit is, the beefy weight and the clean solder joints attaching the hose fittings. The design is interesting as the main line splits into 3 separate sub-chillers. The fitment was perfect in my 10G with the diameter absolutely perfect. The 20G was fine also as the Hydra's neck extended just right over the kettle lip so it was not hanging on. Maybe 1/2" of height clearance, again, perfect.

My source water has been running a shade over 80F, so wort cooling with my old chiller was slowwwwww. Once under 90F, I shift to an ice immersion closed loop to get me down to temps. Lagers were especially painful getting to 50F.

From a boil, I lowered the Hydra in place. At a shade over 6G after boiling, the top of the top coil was just about even with the surface of my wort. This is right at 100% submersion in my 10G kettle. The new hydra effectively took my total chilling time down IN HALF. From boil to 85F is very rapid, and as I approached source water temp, I shifted to the ice closed loop. I honestly did not expect for the Hydra to perform this splendidly considering my source water is over 80F. I would have been pleased if it had shaved 10 minutes off my cooling time, but it far exceeded my expectations. I fully expect improved performance when the fall temps approach and source cooling water cools as well.

With my garden hose on full, the Hydra's outlet pressure is so strong it can spray out like a garden hose with your thumb partially closing the outlet end. Of course I don't do that to impede backflow, but point is the high water flow thru the Hydra. As an environmentally responsible brewer, I collected the warm water from the outlet to wash up my equipment.

Some consider this IC a bit spendy, but the quality and craftsmanship is certainly there. Having used a cheap IC for many moons has given me a good benchmark to make a solid comparison. I am not tracking the cooling in a quasi-scientific method with time charts and such, rather I am simply looking at the total time I spend cooling and how that impacts my brew day. Bottom line: I am thrilled to have this new Hydra from JaDed!!

100% satisfied customer! Thanks JaDed!! :rockin:

That's good to hear!

I did the exact same thing - upgrade from a cheap 25' to the Hydra (with whirlpool arm). Mine was delivered this week but I'm out of town now so haven't even seen the thing but looking forward to using it this weekend!

I too recently upgraded from a 25'er to the Hydra (I got the taller one). I have a Spike 15 gal kettle and it fit perfectly. I brew 10 gal batches and chill time was cut by more than half. I'm really looking forward to the fall/winter as the ground water temps fall I'm betting I'll be chilling in well under 10 mins. Great product.

I love my Hydra but I'm going to sell it and get the King Cobra. With my Brew Boss kettle I need something with a lower profile... :-(

Have a 15g BK and a custom hydra .
Cooling to about 80F is 15min or less then primary goes into chiller for pitch temp. I do this with ground water only but it takes about 15-20gallons! If i want to drop down to mid 60F then i use a 1/4hp pump ice bath recirc and whole chill is done in about 10-12min. saving some water too.
It really is well built and makes chilling less stressful.

If your thinking about low profile cobra then ask the jaded guys about a custom hydra mine was squashed down to about 7"tall and close to 13"diam to accommodate 5 and 10g wort in my bk. best money ive spent on brewing second only to blichmann burner.

I'll be using it for the first time this Sunday. Even though I live in Seattle now, I still have that So Cal mind set to not waste water.

Kudos, sir!! Waste not, want not. We also collect our outlet water to wash the kettle and other equipment.

This Hydra has completed my trifecta of top quality equipment....Blichmann burner, Blichmann kettle and now the JaDed Hydra. I can't say how much enjoyment I get from my brewing days now.

That's good to hear!

I did the exact same thing - upgrade from a cheap 25' to the Hydra (with whirlpool arm). Mine was delivered this week but I'm out of town now so haven't even seen the thing but looking forward to using it this weekend!

Hope you'll take a second to post your impression of the Hydra when you get home!!

Kudos, sir!! Waste not, want not. We also collect our outlet water to wash the kettle and other equipment.

This Hydra has completed my trifecta of top quality equipment....Blichmann burner, Blichmann kettle and now the JaDed Hydra. I can't say how much enjoyment I get from my brewing days now.

HA! I too upgraded to a Blichmann burner (sitting in my garage waiting for the maiden voyage), but I went with a Spike kettle (should be delivered on Thur) and the Hydra!

I am going to "brew" some water on Sat morning to test out the new system, and then make beer Sat afternoon or Sunday morning. I will be sure to post my impressions of the Hydra.

I have a pump and was going to use my old 25' IC as a pre-chiller but want to use the Hydra "solo" for the first time out just to get a feel for it. I live in Colorado and while it's been hot, our ground water isn't too bad.

FWIW - I also use the hot water to fill buckets for cleaning. I believe that was a tip I heard about on HBT, actually!

HA! I too upgraded to a Blichmann burner (sitting in my garage waiting for the maiden voyage), but I went with a Spike kettle (should be delivered on Thur) and the Hydra!

I am going to "brew" some water on Sat morning to test out the new system, and then make beer Sat afternoon or Sunday morning. I will be sure to post my impressions of the Hydra.

I have a pump and was going to use my old 25' IC as a pre-chiller but want to use the Hydra "solo" for the first time out just to get a feel for it. I live in Colorado and while it's been hot, our ground water isn't too bad.

FWIW - I also use the hot water to fill buckets for cleaning. I believe that was a tip I heard about on HBT, actually!

Testament to Blichmann burners......I have done 3 10G brews on one 20# tank of propane and the tank still has a sip or two left in it. How about that for the gas efficiency of a Blichmann burner???

You'll be impressed with the cooling rate of the Hydra. I know I was.

A test brew will give you a chance to measure your boil off rate if you are planning to boil that long. You have some nice equipment!!

Ive had one for a couple of years now. Ive considered other options etc and have never found anything that I thought would work better or faster. In the winter here I can cool 12 gallons to pitch temps in 8-10 mins and now I recirculate while I cool so I don't even have to stir it anymore..

13709892_602399213253784_2080795892020619777_n.jpg

Ive had one for a couple of years now. Ive considered other options etc and have never found anything that I thought would work better or faster. In the winter here I can cool 12 gallons to pitch temps in 8-10 mins and now I recirculate while I cool so I don't even have to stir it anymore..

Awesome set-up!!

Hydra rocks! I don't have my notes in front of me but it took something like 2 mins to get to 140 and about 11 or 12 mins to drop down to 70.

I have the whirlpool arm but didn't use it (waiting for my pump) so I just gently stirred.

I used to fool around with pre chillers, pumps, ice...no more!

My cheap 25' IC is now permanently retired to the top shelf in the garage next to my Bayou burner!

Hydra is amaze-balls!! Seriously it's the one piece of equipment I couldn't brew without. Water temps are pretty high here in Hawaii. Used to screw with a cruddy homemade wort chiller, then a pump and a plate chiller, and ice chest after ice chest full of ice.
Hydra made all that noise go away. I crank that bad boy full blast and I'm down to below 80 in under 7-8 minutes. Just brewed a beer out in the valley, and my boys river water was crazy cold. We were down to pitching temp in under 5 min with the hydra. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470826008.596487.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1470826075.331618.jpg

I also use a hydra and am very pleased. It is VERY well built ...which is an understatement. It took a while from order to ship but once shipped it came quickly and well protected in packaging. I am extremely pleased in its performance as well. Very fast.

I broke down and ordered mine last night.
I've been using ice baths, so I'm excited to see the difference.
I'll post again with some notes/pics once I get a chance to use it.

I just ordered a King Cobra. I've kind of given up on my Exchilerator. Too much of a pain to clean / set up, etc and the Jaded chillers are faster. I may sell the Hydra or keep it for 10 gallon batches. Either way - I'm a believer!

Hydra is amaze-balls!! Seriously it's the one piece of equipment I couldn't brew without. Water temps are pretty high here in Hawaii. Used to screw with a cruddy homemade wort chiller, then a pump and a plate chiller, and ice chest after ice chest full of ice.
Hydra made all that noise go away. I crank that bad boy full blast and I'm down to below 80 in under 7-8 minutes. Just brewed a beer out in the valley, and my boys river water was crazy cold. We were down to pitching temp in under 5 min with the hydra. View attachment 365714View attachment 365715

Jealous of the view, been 6 years since I lived on Oahu.

Another +1 for the Hydra. Brewed a couple of 5 gallon batches over the past month and with ~80F water I went from boiling to 85F in right around 6 minutes while stirring. For the next batch I plan on having a pump and a cooler with ice water so I can switch to that after the ground water gets me under 90F. This way I will be able to pitch immediately instead of having to wait 12-24 hours to bring carboy temp down to pitching temps. All hail the Hydra.

Slight annoyance, it does take some gentle finagling to get it settled into my Bayou Classic 10 Gal...the issue is the temp gauge sticks out just a bit too far and that's what it gets hung up on. But other than that this thing is an absolute beast and am excited what it can do once I switch to recirculating ice water.

Well, in the south Texas heat, I took 10 gallons from boiling to 68° in just less than 17min. About 1/3 of the time with 75° ground water, and 2/3 of the time recirculating an ice chest full of water and 15lbs of ice. Could have fine it with 5-10lbs.
I am well pleased worth the purchase. Well built, easy to handle, very effective, great product.

Mine is shipping out today. Will be a few weeks before I use it. Greatly looking forward to it but with ground water of 83 in the late summer, I still plan to get it to 100 with ground water first then switch to the pump and ice method. I hope to be able to save at least 20 minutes with this new toy!

Mine is shipping out today. Will be a few weeks before I use it. Greatly looking forward to it but with ground water of 83 in the late summer, I still plan to get it to 100 with ground water first then switch to the pump and ice method. I hope to be able to save at least 20 minutes with this new toy!

Good plan. My current ground water temp is close to 83F same as yours. Once I hit the 90F mark, things start slowing down considerably, so I switch to ice bath recirc.

With el cheepo coil, I used to require almost a full cooler of ice to bring down to 63F when switching to recirc, now I am using 1/2 of that amount. I also learned to fill old Gatorade bottles with water and freeze them as a partial ice source.

All in all, the Hydra has cut my chilling time to roughly half of my old coil. When the GW cools this fall, I expect even quicker than that.

Slight annoyance, it does take some gentle finagling to get it settled into my Bayou Classic 10 Gal...the issue is the temp gauge sticks out just a bit too far and that's what it gets hung up on. But other than that this thing is an absolute beast and am excited what it can do once I switch to recirculating ice water.

I just ordered a Hydra and have the same kettle. What do you have to do to finagle the Hydra in? I was thinking that I would just try to wiggle the side of the Hydra under the temp sensor and then lower the other side.

I just ordered a Hydra and have the same kettle. What do you have to do to finagle the Hydra in? I was thinking that I would just try to wiggle the side of the Hydra under the temp sensor and then lower the other side.

Basically you just have to drop it into the kettle at an angle so the base is away from the thermometer and then straighten it as it goes down. You will have to depend on a whirlpool method to circulate the wort because you can't move the Hydra up and down once seated. Like I said slight annoyance since I was used to picking up/dropping the old copper chiller. This thing is a beast. When the ground water was 80 I got the wort to ~120F in like 5 minutes then switched to an ice water cooler and pump and dropped the wort to ~70 within 3 minutes. Regardless of the awkward fit in this pot I would buy again. Hope this helps.

Back