jacked apple cider super bitter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nunwithgun

Reaction score
i jacked some apple cider and now its super bitter. what do you guys think? just add sugar or should I add something else? I.E. cherry syrup, caramel...??? i did did see one thread for something else that added atomic fire balls. or red hots. any other ideas?

This is how it tasted when I tried making a small batch, terrible. Dumped it and learned that this is why apple jack likely isn't sold commercially.

Could you post your recipe/process?

If it's still young, it may age out, if not we may be able to help.

Edit: Wait, do you mean you messed it up?

Could you post your recipe/process?

If it's still young, it may age out, if not we may be able to help.

Edit: Wait, do you mean you messed it up?

I dont think I messed it up. It was a pretty easy recipe. But on the other hand I don't know if I made something that just shouldn't be made.
I made 1 test gallon. My recipe is.....
3 frozen concentrate apple juices.
1 teaspoon Lalvlin EC 1118.
1/2 pound light brown sugar.
topped off with water to make 1 gallon.
5 Days first stage fermentation.
3 Days second stage fermentation.
Froze it.
Then I inverted to gather the first 4 cups of "liquid"
Tried to freeze it again but it wont freeze.
Super alcoholic which was what I was after but also incredibly bitter. I bought different candies to test and see if anything wipes the bitterness out. I also have some jalapeno jelly that im going to mix in too. But im really happy with the amount I got. Can I do something different next time to just avoid the bitterness? Thanks.

It should definitely get smoother with age. I've made several batches that started out pretty harsh. Set it aside for a couple months and you should be in good shape.

Since my last batch came out no better then pruno I made a new batch. The candies and jalapeno jelly made it worse. This time i used Motts 100% juice not from concentrate. I used white sugar instead of brown sugar. And, this time I will let it age a bit more then my last batch.

It should definitely get smoother with age. I've made several batches that started out pretty harsh. Set it aside for a couple months and you should be in good shape.

Should I expose it to air? or keep it in a mason jar?

I always put mine in mason jars with very little head space, put them in the pantry and forget about them for at least a couple months. There all turned out great so far. I always use 5 gallons of Motts aj, 6 lbs. of light brown sugar, 5 teaspoons of nutrient, ec -1118, and let it run dry. Always turns out great.

I just jacked my first apple cider last weekend. One observation is that when you do the freeze concentrating, it's not just the alcohol that gets concentrated, it's everything including any harsh nasties that may be left over from fermentation. My jack had vinegar notes that were not there to start with, but just a few days in and they have mellowed a bit. Maybe try a longer fermentation and let the yeast clean it up a bit before you jack it.

Mine came out with essentially the same flavour profile but giving you a warming sensation as it went down. Granted it started at 17.5% and finished at 1.030 so there was lots of sugar to start and lots left. A little too much actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I typically age my hard ciders for 6-10 months depending on abv (target of 14-15%). Ferment with notty at 65 F, transfer to secondary and let them dry out and age. After 6-10 months and the flavor profile is where I want it I then proceed to "Jack" it. Once I get the concentration I'm looking for I age the jack for another 4-6 months and have not had a bad experience yet...

Keep in mind that ANY imperfection in the base cider will be amplified in the Jack.

I finally got around to finishing my batch. It isn't bad, but the cider was close to 2 years old. I am not sure what the abv is. It started out at 10% and did a single jack for most of it. I will try a second jack on a portion.

A) cider jack is about the same as pruno, so you're on the right track.

B) adding sugar at the end would be the best way to sweeten and hopefully take the edge off. White might be best.

Jalapeño jelly sounds like the wrong answer, but to each his own.

I've concentrated my homebrew about half a dozen times. I made a tea wine once that I concentrated and it was rather harsh, so I softened it with honey as I love honey in my morning cup. You have to compare flavers like a cook some times and think would I eat this if it wasn't liquid and boozey?

I would soften your apple jack with cinnamon sugar (just like the cereal!) Or a little caramel. But only flavor portions at a time until you develop a perfect recipe.,,,

Back