Jack Daniels oak chip question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corrales_305

Reaction score
While at the supermarket I saw some jack Daniels oak chip for sale in a bag. They are supposedly made from jack Daniels oak barrels. I wanted to know If anyone has experience with using them like the oak chips that you buy at a brew supply shop. Any reason why it would not be a good idea. I also wanted to know how I would go about toasting these chips, how much should I char them to get the equivalent of a medium toasted oak chips. Part of the chip come toasted, but not all of it. Since on barrels not all the oak is toasted just the inside face of the barrel is. The reason I like this option is because it's 5 dollar cheap and I dont wanna pay for shipping and have to wait a week to get some regular home brew shop chips

Do a search on the forum for it. They have been used before. I think Revvy has posted some comments on them.

I use them often and like them a lot. They are NOTHING like bourbon chips so what you may be expecting and what you end up with could be pretty different.

I typically toast mine on a cookie sheet to sanitize/toast them. My most recent use of them was in a dark braggot. The samples have been great. Use a small amount as the flavor can easily overpower and over take the beverage. My recipe call The Claymore uses them.

I've read posts about them on here. I was thinking to boil a couple ounces of the chips in a small amount of water. Not just to sanitize them,but to get some flavor out of them into the boilng water. I thought that since when I soak chips in bourbon during the primary to infuse them & the liquid,to do the same with the boiling technique & use the liquid & chips the same way as liquor & chips. Pour all through a sanitized hop sock into secondary,tie off the sack & drop it in to contain the chips. Last time,8 days was plenty in secondary with 6 gallons of dark ale. I'm thinking of brewing a milk stout this time to make my Whiskely Ale.

Latest posts

Back