It's Time for my bar build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Thank you fellows. It's nice that it's finally getting going. I'm about to start on the long wall now. It will be a short day, taking the SWMBO out for Vday tonight.

NickTheGreat said:
Have you seen our Iowa brewers thread?

EZCyclone said:

Well I was able to get the long wall built today, and damn is it nice. I'm also glad I'm done with all those fiddly damn joints! The whole length and cross section of the wall is within 0.0625 of square, so I'm damn happy with that. That's well above what I would allow for tolerances for cabinets, but pretty damn good for crappy old framing lumber.

The old bar got sold and removed today, so happy about that! :rockin:

IMAG1894.jpg

IMAG1895.jpg

So I got a little done today before the Vday festivities. I clamped the bar frames together to check some layout stuff, and got the electrical boxes mounted. Then, long story short, I got the very very full closet next to the bar cleaned out to cut into the drywall and get the plumbing done in it.

Then had to run to the store to pick up some cheap drop clothes as I gave away the one I had to the folks that bought the bar. I want to get them before I go cutting into that drywall. That crap get's everywhere.

We also decided to change the wall color down there all together. I'm tired of living in a abyss of beige. The walls are beige, the carpet is beige, my furniture is beige **** even the damn dog is beige! So we will do the whole room in a moca-ish color with the purple accent wall and the dark trim. I will also be redoing all of the trim in the room to match the new bar work's trim, which is going to be a nice darkish espresso color. The doors will all stay bright white.

So now that we have added all the trim work to the job I now need to get it all pulled up, and carefully marked to where it goes back. I'm not going to replace the oak, as much as I would love to go with a much nicer espresso maple, I will just pull it all and spray it at the shop, then replace it. The only exceptions will be the door frames which of course will stay in place. That and I guess a window sill. Can you tell I'm figuring some of this out as I type? lol. So I will pull the trim, the doors and all the hinges + bents. Maybe even tomorrow.

The next door neighbor is a retired painter, so I might see if I could borrow his pro sprayer and talk him into a supervised course.

Ok, enough rambling for now.

Pics time.

IMAG1906.jpg

IMAG1903.jpg

IMAG1904.jpg

Well I got a little done today. Pulled up some trim and took apart outlets. I also very carefully cut out two three panels of drywall in the closet beside the bar to make room for the new plumbing and electrical stuff.

IMAG1909.jpg

I just redid a closet of ours where I have to remove 30 or 40 of things damn shelf clip things. What a PITA! :mad:

Anywho, the bar is really taking shape though. Will be drinking beer before you know it!

So I spent the afternoon and evening working in the bar room. I got all of the new electrical stuff done in the wall. There are now 2 new 8g-4 lines running up and outside. One for my hot tub and one for my welders in the garage. I needed to run the hot tub lines in the wall, and figured while I was in there I might as well run one out to the garage.

So first thing I did was score out on the wall two lines to cut the rock out. one at 25 the other at 28 above the floor. Then carefully cut the drywall and pull out the screws then dislodge the pieces. I have a pretty sexy solution to finding the hidden screws. An N52 permanent magnet. I just hold it lightly on the wall and run it back and forth in the section I'm going to remove, that magnet is so strong once I get 5-6 inches away from a screw it literally jumps out of my hand and identifies where to find the screw. Work's GREAT!

After that I carefully extracted the drywall in one big piece and then drilled my new holes and ran my wires. I didn't take any pics of the wires, cause not only is it boring, but they ended up behind the insulation so nothing to see here. Then the piece simply set right back into place and I slathered on some joint compound and called it a night. Funny thing is, the last pic is of the patch job in the closet. Of course it came out looking perfect. You know where no one will ever see it.

Oh well. I'm done with class at 11 tomorrow and spending the day pulling trim and getting ready to paint the walls tomorrow night!

IMAG1911.jpg

IMAG1913.jpg

IMAG1912.jpg

IMAG1914.jpg

IMAG1915.jpg

IMAG1916.jpg

IMAG1918.jpg

I just redid a closet of ours where I have to remove 30 or 40 of things damn shelf clip things. What a PITA! :mad:

Anywho, the bar is really taking shape though. Will be drinking beer before you know it!

Those closet systems are pretty awesome, but a real pain in the ass. Thanks for the kind words. I wish I had an extra hand, but most of my folks are busy anymore. lol. Just wait till the taps are flowing again, I bet they all get free'er then. Ha ha.

Well, Time to lay some pipe. :rockin:

Well, It's official. I'm not the man I used to be. I just move slower than I used to. I don't know how many times I've said "I'm going to paint today" But I'm wrong, just simply wrong. I did spend the day working on stuff, I got the water lines run, and 80 feet or so of drain and vent line. But those were the easy things. I got a few new media boxes put in, but that's about it. I moved everything from the walls and pulled off some trim.

It's just so damn discouraging to not get as much done in a day as you know you once did. Makes it go so hard.

I'm going to be swamped busy the rest of the week. I've got a big exam on Friday, so the rest of the week will be focused on that. I might pull some trim here and there, but that's all really.

Although one big step was taken tonight, I got SWMBO to pick a damn paint color. lol

Although one big step was taken tonight, I got SWMBO to pick a damn paint color. lol

So, after we got the color picked and the sample on the wall would you know it but we HATED it. What looked like a nice coffee/cappuccino color on the chip card looked like I had smeared pink makeup on the wall once it had dried. SO, thank god I bought a tester first!

So on Saturday I pulled a leg off the coffee table, which is stained a color representative of what I will stain the bar, and grabbed a tile that I will use in the bar and took them and a chip card for the purple (which happened to be a perfect match) down to Sherwin Willams to try and find a better color for our ideas.

We did find a very nice color and I finally have come color on the walls. Admittedly I like the color more wet then dry, but it beats the tar out of that old god awful tester we tried.

So after what was going to just be painting the red wall purple, turned into extra plumbing and electrical "since I will have the walls open anyway", and a bunch of "hey honey while you are at it's" and of course we can't forget the stair well walls that are now apparently "part of the downstairs room", I have maybe an hour left to get the second coat slapped up on the walls.

Then of course I have the trim to stain a new darker color, which I did pick up yesterday. For the first time in 20 years I'm going to try something other than a professional stain product. I'm honestly terrified, lol. But since I want to take the very very easy road with the pre-stained trim, and not rework it back to raw wood I bought some Minwax Polyshades so I can just wipe it with some 0000 steal wool and spray on the darker tones of ploy. I picked the Mission Oak color. Ok, I'm bracing for it, those who know better go ahead and run me over for buying this crap. lol I figured I better go ahead and stain the door jams while the room in still all drop clothed up and such.

All that will have to wait though, I'm headed out to the wood shop for the day to try and get some cabinet cases built. Or at least the sheets broken down a bit.

Let me tell you, I'm REALLY missing having things on tap!

Looking good my friend. Have been away a lot on business trips and a cruise with the wife so have not been around here much recently. Will be following this build whenever I can though.

Looking good my friend. Have been away a lot on business trips and a cruise with the wife so have not been around here much recently. Will be following this build whenever I can though.

Thank you thank you buddy. How was China? The Cruise?

Well, today turned out to be one of the most productive days in so very long. I set out with goals for the day and by god I got every single thing done I was hoping for. That never happens. lol.
I drew up some quick detailed plans for my trip to the shop today just to have all of my oddballs sizes figured out.

So my buddy Andy and I made it over to the shop about 12:00 today and got right to it. By the time we got home, around 7 tonight I had all the wood cut for all of the carcasses for the cabs and three of them together and delivered to the house.

I will spare you the cutting each board pics. So to start I got all of the end pieces cut to 34 7/8" high and the various widths we needed. In my case the cabs along the long wall are 48"x18", so without the face frame the case side is 34 7/8" x 17". I cut 4 of those and 2 at 34 7/8" x 23 1/4" for the sink cabinet which is 24" deep.

Then we clamped all of the together and I cut all of the toe kicks at once. This way they are all the very same for sure.

You can see the first cab done in the shop, and then the three of them happily chillin in my very full garage. I will be so happy when this house is back together lol.

So I was going to make everything out of 3/4" cab grade maple, it's $45 a sheet wholesale and you can't beat it for high quality builds. However.... there is particle board in there. So here's the deal. I went to pick up my sheet goods and while I was there my salesmen made me a proposition on a pallet of true 3/4" high pressure particle board that had been slightly french kissed by a fork lift. Annnnnnnnnd at $5 a sheet for 90% usable HPPB that normally wholesales for $40, I just had to take him up on the deal. So, with a savings of close to a grand, we now have particle board in the build. you just can't ignore savings like that.

Don't let the fact that it is particle board fool you. The high pressure stuff is very very strong stuff. It's very heavy (112 lbs per sheet) and will kill a saw blade in just a pallet of cuts. So I just keep a stock of Avanti (Frued entry line) Veneer/Melamine blades in the shop. At only $25 a blade they are throw away anyway.

The end cabinet on the long wall is made where the back is all solid 3/4" because it will be used as the triangulation / reinforcement piece. The wall will be bolted to it, and then it will be bolted to the floor alone with the bottom of the wall. Both with 4" x 5/16" Tapcons. This will make for a very very rigid wall. Which as you know, is a big deal to me.

The other two cabinets are just a 1/4" backing with a 6"x3/4" mounting brace both top and bottom on the back. The bottoms of all of the cabinets are made from 3/4" AC cab grade (7 ply) plywood. I think I will just spray the insides with a white washed stain of some kind. Not sure yet. I will finish everything, including the part. board.

In the bar room:
I have the first coat of paint on the walls. I'm going to try and spray the dark stain on the door jams in place. Yeah I know a big pain in the but, but not more then cutting out all the door jams and taking them to the shop to spray right.

So my plan is, if all goes right tomorrow, To mask off everything and spray the stain. Then get the second coat on the walls just in case there's any over spray.

The dry time on that junk is 6 hours before re-coat, so I think I will cheat and dump in some driers and heat the crap out of the room.

Welp, bed time.

CabinetsCUT1.jpg

CabinetsCUT2.jpg

IMAG1941.jpg

IMAG1943.jpg

IMAG1944.jpg

IMAG1945.jpg

Thank you thank you buddy. How was China? The Cruise?

China was China !!!!!heading back again in 8 days for a couple of weeks. The cruise was amazing. Enjoyed every second of it and booked another one on board for December. Southern Caribbean this time. We may try to sneak a short 3 or 4 day one in between if we get the chance around September (ish)
Your progress is great with the project :) I will still be checking in whenever I can but Chinese internet is a strange thing. Google is outlawed as are facebook and you tube amongst other things. Some of the better hotels have a "back door" for their guests but it is sporadic at best.
Looking forward to the photo of you and your good lady at your bar with a drink in your hands :)

China was China !!!!!heading back again in 8 days for a couple of weeks. The cruise was amazing. Enjoyed every second of it and booked another one on board for December. Southern Caribbean this time. We may try to sneak a short 3 or 4 day one in between if we get the chance around September (ish)
Your progress is great with the project :) I will still be checking in whenever I can but Chinese internet is a strange thing. Google is outlawed as are facebook and you tube amongst other things. Some of the better hotels have a "back door" for their guests but it is sporadic at best.
Looking forward to the photo of you and your good lady at your bar with a drink in your hands :)

Ha ha, you and me both!

I got the staining and painting finished off yesterday! Thank god. I'm going to get the new in wall speakers in today. Should also get the outlet covers done. After that ill get the room mostly back together. The door and floor trim is not finished yet, but ill do that after it warms up a bit.

Should have some pics today sometime.

Well. So I took Friday off and sanded all the door frames and masked off the room and coverd everything in more drop clothes and went to town spraying the polyshades. My god does that stuff suck. Well, kinda. No it's sucks. Actually it's kind nice. No it sucks. Well....:drunk:

So it does suck, and it is kinda nice. I guess I will go full woodworker geek here and hope I help some folks out in the future.

So this said first, if you are looking for a really beautiful finish, that is evenly tonned and show room sexy, AND you are a long time professional with million dollar skills with a paint gun then this stuff is pretty nice. Sorta... First let me say I have 30 years behind me spraying finishes. Everything from deck stain to custom paint jobs on 2.5 million dollar cars, I've done it all. Yet this stuff has a learning curve steep enough it took me 5 door frames to get a perfect finish. So I have one, ok, one better, one really nice, one great and one perfect. Slowly learning the tricks as I go along.

I sprayed this gunk with a $900 HVLP spray gun and at times wanted to beat my head against the wall.

First, the reason I'm using it, it because I wanted to take the easy and super lazy way out and spray over the preexisting polyurethane finish. No sanding, so bare wood prep, just scuff with some steel wool and spray. This stuff is marketed to do exactly that. And it does spray over poly, but again, sorta.. I scuffed to a 220 equivalent tooth and let er rip. There was my first mistake. Granted it didn't fisheye or orange peel, but it ran and sagged like an old lady. So yes "you can spray it over poly" and it will sorta chemically bond, but it's a mess. So after some digging, I found out that even though it's marketed as a "brush over poly" Poly, and for the love of all things holy don't you dare try and brush this stuff, it is recommended by Minwax, who is owned my Sherwin Williams, that you should DA (dual action orbital sander) your wood work back to bare wood for "Best Results". Well Duh.

Wow that's a run on sentence...

So the last two doors I hit with the DA and sprayed super light coats and did a nice build to a beautiful finish. Now, this stuff will make a beautiful finish, it really will, but you REALLY have to know your cheese before you mess with it. I did add a dryer to it, and that helped dramatically. I was able to recoat in 30 minutes. I also turned the heater up to 75 to help with set times.

So if you do jump in and try and spray this stuff here's a few words of wisdom. This stuff will fisheye the very second you spray it too heavy. DO NOT TRY AND FIX IT. Finish your piece and WALK AWAY. It will lay down, just give it time. You can spray this stuff on heavy, and it looks like dog poo, and about 3 minutes before it skins you can watch it flow out like molten jello. It's wild.

It dries too glossy for my taste, and I used the satin. Now I really should of added some flatteners, but I didn't have any at the house and it was -17 and my shop is 17 miles away. I wasn't going there. lol.

I did 8 coats on 5 door frames (one is a 7 foot wide closet) with half a quart of the mission oak color.

Bottom line, if you are going to try it, practice practice practice, on scrap that's the same base value your finish pieces are. I will use it again, in fact I have a custom bar commission that has come up due to this one, and I will use this finish on that piece. (Cause I have it)

Keep in mind the images below are fresh and wet.

IMAG1955.jpg

IMAG1956.jpg

Ok, so after all the craziness was done with the stain, I got the second coat of paint and the walls and got it all evened out. Now it looks good. I really like the new trim color with the wall color. Sexy stuff. Oh and the white switches and stuff look great against it as an accent.

It took me all day today, but I got the new in-wall speakers in and boy do they sound GOOD. Look pretty sharp too. After that was done I had a buddy help me move everything around and the new cabinet cases down from the garage. SWMBO was putting all the cover plates back on and cleaning up the remaining crumbles in the carpet.

So, I got a ton done yesterday and today. Tomorrow I won't get much done, it's our friends little boys birthday, so we will be gone by three. I might just take a day to relax. :mug:

Ha, who am I kidding. :rockin:

IMAG1957.jpg

IMAG1961.jpg

IMAG1962.jpg

IMAG1964.jpg

IMAG1965.jpg

So I have known for a while that my phone camera has gotten crappy. The reason is dirt, dust and even metal shaving from the machine shop get into every crook in my phone and they can even find their way into my camera.

So tonight I found my tiny torx set and took my phone apart all the way down to even the camera in pieces. I had no idea I had a torx set that goes down to T0.1! I knew I had a small set, but no idea it went so small.

So after cleaning my phone with air and solvents, here's the results. I took a few pics to emulate copies of some I took earlier. You can compare them to the pics in the last post. I'd say it helped. :rockin:

IMAG1967.jpg

IMAG1968.jpg

IMAG1969.jpg

IMAG1970.jpg

Great progress and looking amazing. Had the same issue with my phone camera. Enjoy your day off. Looking forward to your next installment.:rockin:

It's funny how that purple wall is coming through as blue now that I have cleaned my phone camera.

Heading back to China today. Will be checking this thread whenever I can while away. Good luck with it all :rockin:

Back from China. Were you saving the update photo's till I got home ??? :D

Back from China. Were you saving the update photo's till I got home ??? :D

Ha ha, sure have! No, I've just been crazy busy. I got little things done here and there. Took a week and went to Kansas to help dad with mothers new kitchen. I pulled out all theold floor, floor joists and shattered beam. Replaced with three LVL beams, new joists, new subfloor. The walls had already been stripped back to the studs. So ran all new plumbing, gas line, electrical, low voltage for cab lights, insulation and got the drywall up and one wall ready for paint.

It was a busy week, took moms plaster 1940's 192'^2 kitchen to a drywalled 580'^2 room.

On top of that, the ad I used to sell my old bar generated requests from other buyers to build a new bar for sale. So I've been working on a bar, but one that's already sold. Oh yeah, add midterms and the wedding in 71 days, that's kept me busy. Lol. Ill see what I can get together for update pics soon.

In the mean time here's a few pics of the bar frame I'm building for a customer.

Well, I got all the bar tops and the counter tops cut from the particle board that came in Wednesday. This is for my bar, not the second one. Lol.

Fiance came home sick, so that's the end of my work day. Tomorrow we have a hockey game to go to, and Monday I've got a damn exam, so Sunday will be most likely be study day. There's always something in the way, lol.

So I got the sheets all cut and put on the bar. Then went truck shopping, so am done till tomorrow.

Here's a few picks.

Looking great my friend. How did the exam go ????
I am heading to our Alabama plant next week.

Looking great my friend. How did the exam go ????
I am heading to our Alabama plant next week.

Thanks Paul, I need to get my butt back to it. Which exam? lol. I've had so damn many this sem. Had a Latin exam today, not my best work. Have a Chem exam on Monday.

Birthday was the 2nd and I got a nice new pickup truck for it. So that made for a good week. lol. I got the customers bar done and it was picked up Saturday. So now I have to get a gazebo built by this weekend as it's the "Bridesmaids brunch" at our house out on our patio. Then, maybe, I hope, I can get back to work on my bar room.

Bar is tile top, skinned in a special textile I use for lighting them up with LED's and what not. Hardwood maple trim conditioned with my special blend, stained with royal walnut, finished with a semi gloss poly. The back is left open for adding in the lighting and to save this customer money.

Bar is designed and built to break and fold up on one side so that it will pack into a standard pickup for delivery. The tile is removed and packed for shipping and a 2x4 strap bolted directly into the bar top. This makes it a free standing unit that only needs strapped in to keep it from sliding.

IMAG2067.jpg

IMAG2068.jpg

IMAG2069.jpg

IMAG2070.jpg

Just looked back and saw the exam I was talking about was a geology exam. It went well. Lol

Just looked back and saw the exam I was talking about was a geology exam. It went well. Lol

Glad to hear it. Looks like you never have time to stop for a breather right now. All looking great though. New pick up, very nice and hope you had a Happy Birthday"

Nice truck! And bar. But the truck!!! :D

Lol no kidding right Nick! It was one Hell of a birthday present. The Fiance did well! Lol. I did have a good birthday, but it was crazy busy. Never time to rest anymore. It feels like it will be that way till after the wedding in June.

I got the weight boxes finished yesterday, and three of the legs chiseled out. One more to go, the. I really hope I can get the concrete poured in the boxes tomorrow and maybe even still get it together for Sunday. I guess we will see. My list of other things I need done by Sunday is to long to fit on one full sheet of paper. So maybe not.

Testing, testing, testing. Is this thing on?? Looks like it is. I guess it's time for an update....

Nearly 7 months since my last post, kinda sad isn't it...

So where do I begin? Well when I last saw you all I had just delivered that frats bar. They loved it and life went on. That was back in the second week of April. With the wedding approaching like a freight train and spring bearing down on me like a mother in law I had to switch my focus to the patio. Got the gazebo built and ready for all the visiting guests soon to come. Then my brother got married, and then school finals, and well, since I panned the gold for my wife's ring a year earlier, and designed and intended to make it myself I needed to get to the making part! So I did and got my wife's beautiful ring made in time for the wedding! Next thing I knew It was June 6th and we were getting married. June 6th D-Day! Which is great because I will never forget it! It was great and I got to marry an amazing woman! We spent 2 weeks in Mexico where our honeymoon was interrupted by tropical storm Bill Tropical_Storm_Bill_(2015). Funny part of the story is it went on over the Yucatán Peninsula and then we flew back into the storm when it was in Dallas. So we got stranded in Dallas for the night and flew out the next morning landing in the middle of the storm as it tore up Des Moines! Bastard got us three times!!!

Anyway...

Upon returning I found a spring had formed under my wood shop and all my tools were rusty from the water in the building. Most of the wood stored there was molding!! SO, I gutted the garage, and built an "As-fast-as-possible" impromptu shop at my home. Oddly enough it is twice the size as my "pro" shop, but has not produced near the same amount of pieces! lol. So I spent a few months trying to get going there, and of course had to work this summer building custom pieces.

Now the bar has to get done so I can start building baby furniture.... My assistant Brewer will be here the end of March!!

I'm sure I'm forgetting about 90 things, but the important part is I'm back on the bar project!!!

IMAG2106.jpg

IMAG2108.jpg

IMAG2111.jpg

20150818_180519.jpg

20150818_180827.jpg

Back