its tight, filled fermentor to the top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheresmybeer

Reaction score
Well, this is my 5th brew..
I wanted more out of the batch so I filled the fermentor close to the top.
Its active but the water in the little plastic thingy is now beer foam and the lid is real tight! Should I take out some of the beer with sludge at the bottom to make room? I dont want to take out the yeast?
its a Belgian trippel, liquid yeast.
The last brew I filtered the sludge out just after boiling the wort..this time I thought I would leave it in to develop flavor and filter it at secondary?
what is your thoughts for a newbee?

thanks
David

+1 on blowoff tube

Tripels have extremely active yeast in my experience and if it has no where to go, u won't have to worry about taking any out because it will be done for you

Don't worry about removing some of the beer, It'll do it on it's own. Especially if you don't put a freakin blowoff tube in there! Don't worry about removing the yeast, that's about as easy as removing salt from seawater.

well its been 2 days and the wort is slowly still coming out the airlock...I still have not done a blow off tube and I think will just ride the storm out and let the yeast work..maybe its because I added yeast from the last batch as well,,recycled it,,or tried to...
hope she dont blow!
thanks again
David

well its been 2 days and the wort is slowly still coming out the airlock...I still have not done a blow off tube and I think will just ride the storm out and let the yeast work..maybe its because I added yeast from the last batch as well,,recycled it,,or tried to...
hope she dont blow!
thanks again
David

I hope you live alone.

You need to do one of the following things ASAP:

1. Install a blow off tube
2. Put painters plastic all around, over, under, the fermenter so as to protect your walls, floor, and ceiling (Yes, CEILING). (Even then, I hope you have a tiled floor with a drain in it.
3. Rack your beer to a primary fermenter that has at least 20% of the volume as headspace (empty).
4. Your choice of religious ritual praying for the safety of your beer and yourself.

Best of luck to you.

Back