It's Official: I got the "it's an illness" speech

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea in the 9 months of brewing ive gotten goo gobs of "brewing" and they all thing im an alchy for making it. SCREW THEM

there is something so gratifying in embracing this age old tradition. My uncle has contracted me to start brewing him beer (German and Czech Pils) He even said he'll get a chest freezer for me so i can get em done right.

my girlfriend somehow takes both sides of the argument.. she complains b/c all my brewstuff is an "eyesore" (a glass carboy w/ a black trash bag over it ain't an eyesore.. what's going on underneath is glorious!) and is beginning to take up space.. but then again she loves the stuff i brew, being a beer enthusiast herself. so i asked her whether she would rather have clutter and excellent beer or no clutter and back to buying $9 six packs.. she obviously made the right choice cause i'm still around here!

but really, she has no room to complain. she basically never has to provide money for beer anymore, b/c i buy all ingredients and am able to provide her with a very drinkable, delicious product. that and the time i spend at home brewing keeps me around her and outta trouble :)

I have an old freezer I use with a thermal controller to brew my beer in. My wife just laughed today when I took a riciprocating saw and cut the shelves out of the door so I could fit three fermenting buckets in it....

Make sure you make her something she likes, or at least make the attempt to brew her something she might like.

If you bottle/brew in the kitchen... cook now and then... and then clean the heck out of the kitchen to make sure it's a perfect place for your beer making toys. Find a way to kill two birds that way.... all about balance.

Lol... so far I've yet to brew anything the wife likes, but after 20 years of marriage she humors me at least... and likes that I cook a night or two.

If you bottle/brew in the kitchen... cook now and then... and then clean the heck out of the kitchen to make sure it's a perfect place for your beer making toys. Find a way to kill two birds that way.... all about balance.

SOP here on bottling nights. It keeps me in good graces.

It's odd the range of reactions we get. Everyone where I work (a medical office) wants to try what I've made, and nearly everyone I tell that I am a homebrewer starts grilling me on how it works and how I decide what ingredients to use.

I catch some flak for the cost. The only reason it costs more is because everyone ends up drinking all of my homebrew and I end up needing to go buy commercial stuff for myself. Go figure

Try slapping her....

I did try, but she ran behind all my brew equipment & I couldn't find her :D

She actually does support my brewing, I think she is just freaking on the shear amount & size of the equipment that is quickly accumulating. I've been finding such good deals on craigslist lately... REALLY good deals. It'll turn into a non-issue as soon as I quit dragging truckloads of gear home and settle into a good brew groove.

Yup. I stopped bringing it up at work too. It's sad, because being an engineer... I thought that my coworkers would be interested in the science of brewing. Shrug.

One of the best moments at work with a bunch of engineers was when a former section manager brought up that he could go for a beer and I said I'd bring him a 6'er of my home brew. He said he also home brewed but it had been a while... 15 minutes later and after his story about building his own wort chiller I felt more at home at work than I had in quite some time.

I love this hobby.

My wife thinks it's bith a cool and kinda silly thing that I'm homebrewing, but she got really excited when she found out that I can do wines and ciders as well. So maybe all you need to do is change your sales pitch!:D

I'm doing another beer after the one in primary now and then I'm gonna make some of Ed;s Apfelwein to keep her happy.

I just started a new job and haven't mentioned homebrewing yet, and probably won't, at least until I get a feel for the people.
My wife puts up with my brewing pretty well, but I do get conflicting signals.
I showed her a picture of some ones super automated system in the photo gallery, and she said " that would be nice you could put it in the back yard"
Then I was washing up some brew gear in the kitchen and she said " you need an out door kitchen" I already brew outside but with comments like these I start envisioning building a brew house, automated systems , kegerators, fermenting fridges, and all kinds of brewing coolness.
Then while brewing yesterday I had a boil over in my 7 gall. turkey pot and mentioned to her I could use a larger kettle, her reply was " why don't you just make less beer."

Two months?

Only took me 3 weeks to get the "I have created a monster" speech...

:mug:

Working on whipping up some hard lemonade for SWMBO while she away for work....

:cross:

All my friends thought that I was an alcoholic when I started brewing untill I would bring a bottle of chimay or a crown pleaser like Circus boy and someone would say that they didnt like that style. Then I get to explain what that style is. I have a friend though I was just a raging alcoholic with my homebrewing. But once I showed that I actually have a knowledge of styles and IBU's, FG, SG, Ferm temps he realized that I am just a science dork stuck in a beer loving body. He originally said that he was allergic to dark beers so we did an experiment with different beers with varying IBUs and SRM, as luck would have it he is not allergic to dark beers, but High IBU's, Anything over 30 gives him a headache. It just happens that every "dark beer" he had ever had were Barley Wines, and RIS. But untill I showed him the science and explained it he though I had the illness.

Back