It's My Money - Rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedigitale

Reaction score
So I decided yesterday to purchase a new laptop. Knowing that it was going to be a large purchase, and having had problems with other banks in the past, I called my bank to ensure that it wouldn't be a problem. The bank raised my daily spending limit, and told me all was well.

I ordered the computer, and was happy that there were no issues with the card. All was well. So I thought...

So I go out to dinner last night with my wife and the check comes. I run my card and it's declined. I try another card that draws from the same account, which was also declined. So I try calling my bank and of course their office is closed for the day. I had my Blackberry with me and managed to quickly transfer money to another account and use another card.

Today I get a call from the bank saying that my card has been locked due to suspicious spending and when I get pissed and ask why this happened he threatens to not unlock my card. So supposedly my card is now unlocked and part of my order has shipped. All is well again... OR NOT!

So I go to track my packages and it turns out that they had used an old address on file instead of the one I gave them when I placed the order, so I had to spend another 45 minutes on the phone in order to have them re-route the now delayed shipment.

WTF is wrong with these people!?!?!? It's my money, I called them to tell them I was going to be making a large purchase (and what it was) and they still screw me over! Then I find out my order isn't shipping properly!

Just needed to rant for a bit. :mad:

Make large purchases your norm and the bank won't bother you anymore.

And, always verify shipping addresses before you confirm.

And that's why I use American Express: no preset limit and pay it off every month. Served my wife and me very well for the last 9 years of marriage.

Make large purchases your norm and the bank won't bother you anymore.

And, always verify shipping addresses before you confirm.

If I could afford to I would!

I actually DID confirm the address and received an email with the correct info. When they attached the shipping info the idiots used the old address anyway.

And that's why I use American Express: no preset limit and pay it off every month. Served my wife and me very well for the last 9 years of marriage.

Yeah, but the bank would probably see me paying off the Amex as being suspicious! It doesn't piss me off that I have a limit. It pisses me off that I called them ahead of time so that this wouldn't happen!

Switch banks. You don't owe them anything. They're supposed to be working for you. When they ask for a reason tell them ass hats name that threatened to not unlock your card when you asked about their mistake and that they should appreciate you lending them your money, not be freaking rude about it. Make sure they know that you know they are not the only bank and credit card lender in town and that you don't owe them sh*t. You wouldn't let a department store or restaurant treat you like that would you? They're only selling you clothes and food.!

Yeah but I've been through 3 banks already and this one is the best of them!

Yep... that's why I had to rant!

Actually the first bank I used was Commerce and they were terrible (gee, I wonder why they failed). Then I went with WaMu, who was generally ok, but now has been bought out by Chase who cares nothing about me becuase I don't maintain a balance of a million dollars or more.

I've never met a bank I didn't hate. Right now my company banks at BofA, because I live in a town of 1800 and BofA is the only bank. The flip side is everyone at the bank knows me and if there is any kind of a problem, they will call before the Shatner hits the fan. (Just saw this phrase on another forum and had to use it.)

Banks are just miserable organizations by definition. I could find another, but they'd likely be just as bad if not worse. Living in this world basically necessitates one though. It's hard to order brewing equipment online without one.

I am an idiot... what is the problem? Why is the bank even involved in the purchase of a laptop? Daily spending limit? I am confused. If I want to go buy something I can buy it, I dont understand this issue with the bank "allowing" you to.

Wait..how is borrowed money your money? Isn't it somebody else's money and that's why you are borrowing it?

Not that I don't understand your frustration, I'm just trying to make sure we're clear. It's not your money...it's your debt. I'm also just trying to instigate :p

My bank just locked me out of the website before I could even put my password in. Maybe someone was trying to hack my account? :eek: I gotta call them...

Wait..how is borrowed money your money? Isn't it somebody else's money and that's why you are borrowing it?

Not that I don't understand your frustration, I'm just trying to make sure we're clear. It's not your money...it's your debt. I'm also just trying to instigate :p

My bank just locked me out of the website before I could even put my password in. Maybe someone was trying to hack my account? :eek: I gotta call them...

I believe he was saying he lets them "borrow" his money by him putting it into a savings or checking account. not that he was taking out a small loan to buy a laptop :mug:

i thought he used his credit card...was it a bank card?

that's what I got from the story. I'll have to reread the OP and see if I misunderstood.

EDIT:he said the card draws from an account and not a line of credit. so I'm assuming it's a debit card he was using.

For large purchases, I prefer to use my CC. Basically because I get cash back... in fact, I prefer to use my CC for everything.

Two years ago I went to spain. I told the bank ahead of time I was going. I bought no euros ahead of time thinnking Ill just use my card right? Farkers locked my card after a day and wouldnt unlock it. They said they were mailing me a new one since mine had suspicious activity. I cried literally.

How has this thread gone 3 pages without...

watch

Throwing the BS flag on that one!

I use mine for business. I have A+ credit and booked a flight for me and a tech to go to New Orleans, booked the rental car and hotel on it as well. We land in New Orleans, go to pay for the rental car, card declined. Get on the phone with Am Ex,
"You've exceeded your limit"
What? Wait, there is no pre set limit! it says so on my statement every month!
"No sir, it is like a debit card and you have a limit of $2500 dollars"
What?!
"If you make a payment today for the amount of $700 we can authorize the use of the rental car"
Mam.... if I had 700 cash I WOULDNT BE USING YOUR CARD!

Ever since AmEx was bought out their service has slowly and surely slid down the crapper. Thinking about moving over to Discover but I would loose 15+ years of gold card history with them.....

Time to find a credit union IMHO.

+1

I'm another WAMU casualty. Keeping my chase account open until they decide to start charging for it but have switched to a CU almost exclusively. CU's tend to care more about the customer and most are insured by the NCUA.

I use mine for business. I have A+ credit and booked a flight for me and a tech to go to New Orleans, booked the rental car and hotel on it as well. We land in New Orleans, go to pay for the rental car, card declined. Get on the phone with Am Ex,
"You've exceeded your limit"
What? Wait, there is no pre set limit! it says so on my statement every month!
"No sir, it is like a debit card and you have a limit of $2500 dollars"
What?!
"If you make a payment today for the amount of $700 we can authorize the use of the rental car"
Mam.... if I had 700 cash I WOULDNT BE USING YOUR CARD!

Ever since AmEx was bought out their service has slowly and surely slid down the crapper. Thinking about moving over to Discover but I would loose 15+ years of gold card history with them.....

hey...can i borrow your avatar for a few minutes?

thanks ;)

Biggest single charge on mine: $18k. I bought a car with it once too (OK, so it was a $1600 project truck but still :D). It works for us.

If visa or MC had a charge card program (as opposed to a credit card) I could be persuaded to switch.

Edit: BTW, when Death Brewer get done w/ your avatar I need it for a little while too.

I hate my credit card company. I travel for work quite a bit, so there's weeks I'm in Vegas one day, then Orlando the next. And every 2-3 months, I go to check into the hotel and "I'm sorry, sir, this card was declined."

I call Sh|ttyBank, from the hotel desk phone, and politely tell them to notice the NOTES ON MY ACCOUNT.
"I'm sorry sir, there are suspicious charges on your account. Can you verify a charge from the Doubletree in atlanta?"

"Yeah. I woke up there today. Now I'm in Boston and need to check in. Can I talk to your supervisor?"

Last time it happened I lost a deal on a flight. $315 for round trip airfare and a hotel for 5 nights in vegas. By the time I got the bank stuff figured out, the price went up to $450.

More than enough to cover everything I purchased.

except the wedding dj...

B

WTF is wrong with these people!?!?!?

They're all products of the american education system. Having a high school diploma makes someone eligible to play with other people's hard earned money in this ****ed up country. That's freedom for ya. Either my wife or myself have to spend several hours on the phone every effing month straightening out the mistakes of some ignorant fuc.king moron who fuc.ked up again.

yeh, I didn't read any of the thread except the first post....it got my blood boiling...

Back