It's Hard to Wait

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OSUmoney83

Reaction score
In the heart of buckeye nation, now (2012) in Scot
It really is. There is something comforting about having your beer in bottles, not having to stress too much about temp control, knowing there's no step left that can produce an off flavor. Just wait and it's great.

I'm just getting back in the game after 6 years, and I was never really in it to begin with.

I now have my 4th and 5th batches in plastic primaries, 13 & 10 days respectively. I had still been diligently monitoring and adjusting temp control via fan, america logo blank tank and spray bottle(iodophor solution because I'm paranoid about sanitation) since day 9 until I decided from the forum research to park it in the primary for 3-4 weeks, and it's OK to let the temp ranges expand after initial ferment.

I really want to bottle...

6 years ago my 3rd and most recent attempt at beer making resulted in a very clean Bell's Oberon clone. Although I deemed the recipe misguiding, there certainly weren't the off flavors from mistakes that manifested in my first two batches, so only now I will deem it a success years later.

As I feel my most recent batches reflect the learning curve with sanitation, temp control, general technique, I think I have the best homebrew coming to me.

anyways, I started with an imperial stout, now I'm trying to nail down a simple pale ale, using 1 hop at a time, mostly one malt as well, and I'm going to adjust slowly until I can identify from notes during brewing (amazingly helpful I fell) a delicious house ale.

That's my brewing history, and from searching my own posts 6+ years ago I find I have many of the same questions. This also, is an ENORNOUS resource of home brewing technique, style, guide, etc. It was the best then and is even better now.

I'm still anxious as hell to bottle...

but I'm going min 3 weeks in the primary to clean things up. I figure, I'm always getting older while my beer can only get a little bit better in the meantime.

Great for you to be back in the game! There has been an explosive increase in hop varieties since then.

Personal opinion: 2-3 week primary +1 week bottle is better than most commercial brew. I was also out of home brewing long enough to have my pipeline disappear. I am knowingly rushing the first couple of batches so I can drink good homebrew while waiting on great homebrew.

Patience will always make the beer better but impatience can still create some good beer. Just go into it knowing the benefits and consequences of what you do. Patience is definitely > impatience, but impatience can have it's place.

Thanks! And yea, I'm getting back to back batches going so I always have stuff in the pipeline. I'm finally ready to bottle a 3 gallon batch tomorrow after 15 days, but I will keep another in the primary for 3-4 weeks.

As each primary opens up a new batch is going right on in so I can keep the beer coming.

Great for you to be back in the game! There has been an explosive increase in hop varieties since then.

I'm gonna give hop growing a try here in Phoenix. it won't be long before we hit triple digit temps, but I have a spot with permanent shade and I will see what I can do to keep things comfy for the plants. If they don't take off, no worries, but I think it would be really fun to be brewing with your own hops.

Back