It's contagious!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmatson89

Reaction score
I caught the home brewin obsession about 6 months ago and have brewed about ten batches. Since then I have spread the disease to no less than 3 others.... Once people find out how cheap it is once you get up and running and how good the beer can be its hard not to try it for yourself.

I'm struggling with the "cheap" aspect. I swear, after I add another keg to my fridge, I'm done spending money on equipment...until the pump to recirculate ice water through my IC so I can chill beer quickly this summer...and a freezer and temp controller so I can lager...and the grain mill so I can buy in bulk...

ya same here, as soon as you think your done buying equipment... you stumble upon another thing you cant live without. But really its not all that bad when you look at the big picture and how good of beer can be made for what price. I have a couple of recipes I have in my rotation that are under $30 with everything included that help keep my overall cost down so i can brew some more expensive recipes as well.

Who's ever DONE buying equipment?

And cheap? LOL. I've spent upwards of $2500 just this year so far on homebrewing alone!

Yup, this stuff is like crack. I tried one batch of Mr Beer and have decided to go all in. I am doing the hops grow, microscope for yeast, building a sculpture and brew troller as well as a fermentation room for lagers and a myriad of little tweaks and "improvements" along the way. I really enjoy applying diffeent things I have learned or experienced through out my life into an integrated system. I'm still learning, but having a blast stumbling along on the way to my ultimate goal. Problem is the ultimate goal keeps expanding and changing every day. All I can say is, enjoy the hobby in whatever way you find the most satisfying and share pics of what you are doing. I know I have infected at least 10 people on my short journey so far. And I think that's great!!!
WCB

ya same here, as soon as you think your done buying equipment... you stumble upon another thing you cant live without.

MMWwwAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa!!!!! QFT

I have a nice system and was "all done" pffft. Tell that to the almost finished hop back on the floor behind me. (It remains unfinished because I have not had the money to order the last SS part I need/want... Part or ingredients? guess what wins?

Recently I have become fascinated with "prepping" and "post apocalyptic" brewing ideas. I have a euro keg that I cut the top of off and am now planning to do a single/multiple decoction mash over an open fire on a tripod with a smaller SS pot, using the euro keg as an MLT+BK. This will be the same fire that I super heat the granite rocks in that will get added to a small SS pot that I will drill a bunch of holes in and use the tripod to lower and raise it out of the wort, to get the volume to a boil. Crazy? quite possibly but I will be the one laughing when the the "insert X event here" happens. Yes, I am already growing my own hops and know how to malt at home (although it would be a HUGE PITA to do, I can still do it.) So who doesn't want a homegrown organic wet hopped, decocted, stein beer? Bonus: This will be my camping/mobile brewery as well!

I would guess I have just a squeak over $1K total in my brewery and I have adopted the Titanic/Bismark theory to this hobby now; meaning I will never declare this brewery finished because that is EXACTLY when I find my next project! (Like every ship that has been declared unsinkable is now on the bottom of the ocean.) ;)

Back