it became a "must"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireball

Reaction score
raspberry cyser? or raspberry apfelwein? :tank:

1/2 cup raspberries (crushed to 1/4 cup mush)
1/2 lb honey
1 qt applejuice
1/2 cup bottled water

OG 1.080, sans water 1.090, I'll be pitching it with Lalvin 1118 I saved from my first batch of cider after I sulfite the must. I'm hoping this will be an interesting wine.

brew updates.

first batch of cider (3gal, juice, nutrient, yeast) A-OK and aging,
second batch of cider (3gal, added cinnamon and sugar) not 100% sure but aging,
first mead (1qt, honey and dried orange peel) a bust, too small to sample, too raw to drink.
second mead (1gal, honey and zest from one large orange) starting to clear, smelled lovely!
ice apfelwein (freeze concentrated juice and sugar to 1.100), strong flavour with a high white lightning factor, will sample in 6 months to a year.
first cyser (1gal, dregs from apfelwein, honey, dash of cinnamon) hard starter, interesting aroma, starting to clear.

It's been a week, how's it going? I am a bit worried about your plan to re-use the yeast from a previous batch. However, if successful I suspect it might impart some of the flavour from your first batch.

by appearance it's going well, it was down around 1.002 a few days ago so I racked it off the solids and it appears to be slowly clearing. I haven't sampled yet, I'll give it some more time to clear and drop a few points more.

It's been a week, how's it going? I am a bit worried about your plan to re-use the yeast from a previous batch. However, if successful I suspect it might impart some of the flavour from your first batch.

my two cents: avoid adding any acid blend. more than likely the combo of apples and the raspberries are going to give you plenty of acidity to balance out the final flavor profile.

finally sampled this morning, very mild apple/raspberry flavour and very little hotness, I racked it to get rid of the last bits of floating fruit, I'll give it another month and bottle it. the down side? I also checked my other batches and might have an infection going in one of my ciders (the good one) :( looks sorta like an oil slick but not so shiny, maybe half a dozen the half the size of your thumb.

oil slick doesn't sound like an infection. i wouldn't worry at this point.

Latest posts

Back