issues with my Bazooka Screen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletchsj

Reaction score
Hey my Beer Peoples...

I am having issues with this certain beer I'm brewing pretty regularly and not sure why. I'll start by sharing the recipe:

11lbs plis malt
2.5 lbs 2 row pale with a handful of 55l tossed in for good measure
60 min boil
1 oz citra @ 60 (all hops are leaf)
.5 oz citra @ 15
.5 oz citra @ 5

Turns into a great beer that is right around 65 ibu's and a % but has the color and crispness the wife and the ladies aren't intimidated by.

anyway my problem is when pulling the sweet cooked wort post boil out of my kettle there is soooo much trub and protein crap in there that it plugs up my screen. Thus i have to use a sanitized spoon to scrape the screen to allow for collection (probably the last 2-2.5 gals)

any one know what this could be? I don't have issues when I use 2row or others as my base malt and have done some tests with other similar recipes. (i first thought it might be from hops but its not, i have bulk citra and used same with other grain bill and different results)

any help would be awesome!

Try whirlpooling and pulling your wort from the side of your kettle.. No need for a screen then!

Pils will have a hot break and cold break similar to egg drop soup. also consider using a hops bag. For me, I whirlpool and pull from the side of the kettle. if any trub gets to the carboy I'm not worried, the beer still comes out great.

Common problem with Bazooka screens. I used one for a couple of years, but when I made my keggles, I got away from it. It tended to clog, particularly if you ever use hop pellets.

I whirlpool a bit now and actually have a stainless scrubber on the pickup tube. It filters, but doesn't clog (so far). Now I only use pellets.

Back