Issues with a Taprite regulator and/or suggestions on another brand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pointyskull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have Taprite T742HP regulator that's about 1 1/2 years old. It appears to work except the High pressure gauge (the side gauge) does not seem to be displaying any changes in C02 remaining - it's always in the green.

I suspected it was off as it hadn't shown any change in a long time.
I have seen many posts where that gauge doesn't register anything - but I have come across any where it always shows a full tank.

Anyone else experience this? My guess I need a new regulator, and if a Taprite crapped out that fast I am up for suggestions on a new brand/model.

I'm pretty new to kegging, still on my first tank, but from what the guy said at the place I got my CO2 that sounds normal. He told me that as long as the temperature of the tank stayed steady the high pressure gauge would stay steady until the tank was almost empty and the best way to tell how much CO2 Is left is with a scale since they are filled by weight and as CO2 was used it would get lighter.

yeah, as long as there is still liquid co2 in the tank, the pressure will be constant...depending on temp anyway....

and as far as the tap-rite goes, that's the same one i have..only problem i've noticed is i have to switch off the valve on it to adjust the keg pressure...otherwise it's too slow to know how high it actually will get in the keg, and end up over carbing...

I don't think that has anything to do with the regulator, it's because you have to bring the keg head space up to pressure for it to register back at the regulator. I have multiple Taprite, Chudnow and Micromatic regs and I set the pressure the same way as you.

The only difference with the Taprite is it doesn't come with a manual PRV, just the quasi-automatic internal one, so turning down the gas pressure requires going waaay below the desired pressure to get to the release point, then come back up to the desired pressure...

Cheers!

Back