Issue with light inside freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthMoonBrewing

Reaction score
Hey guys so I bought a new freezer that has a built in led into the lid. I'm trying to add a collar but the problem is that the cord from the light goes into the freezer and connects to main electric and one wire is ran out. So there is no play in the cord to add a 6 inch collar. I'm thinking of cutting the wire and wiring the light to its own plug, but how do I go about caping off the other plug so I don't have a short in the line

If you don't want the light, cut the wire flush, then put a piece of electrical tape over the end, then a piece of shrink tubing. Heat it and you have a sealed end. They also make crimp on wire caps that would work to.

If you don't want the light, cut the wire flush, then put a piece of electrical tape over the end, then a piece of shrink tubing. Heat it and you have a sealed end. They also make crimp on wire caps that would work to.

Do this properly though. You will have a live wire separated by only the insulation between the wires. If done wrong you risk a short and a fire.

I would either splice in a piece of wire, or trace the wires back to the next connections and remove them there.

Yeah I want to splice it cause until I build a custom lid when I switch from collar to coffin i want the light. I just didn't know the best way to go about it. If I tape them off, do I tape each one individually or tape all together? I should know this but I'm struggling

When I splice lines like this, I use shrink wrap crimp connectors. Double crimp each side. Then I coat each spliced connectors individually with liquid electrical tape (For some reason when I crimp I sometimes tear through the heat shrink wrap cover). Finally I put a larger shrink wrap over both wires so that it's one piece (less wires to get hooked up on stuff). It's totally overkill, but I've wired dozens of boat with no major failures :).

Will

Somewhat similarly, after cutting the original cable I slide two wide pieces of shrink tubing over both of the original "ends", remove enough of the outer jacket of the splicing cable to slide sections of smaller gauge shrink tubing over the individual wires, solder in the splice, slide the small shrink tubes over the joints and shrink them, then slide one of the wide pieces over the set of wires and shrink that, then repeat with the second wide pieces.

Ends up solid without being overly bulky...

Cheers!

Oh I like these, I'll prob try to work on it this weekend. I just want to add the6 inch collar I've already built but the light is too nice to go without

Also, I would make sure you get braided copper wire (auto or marine) for the splice as well. Overtime, opening/closing the lid will ultimately break solid (house) wire. With a small led light, 16 ga wire should be plenty big.

Will

Latest posts

Back