Isolated Yeast (Tree House): How to Identify and Characterize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a small starter from the bottom of a doppelgänger can just to see what happens. Not going to use it, just want to pick out any smells or tastes. After 36 hours there’s some clumps (some are big some are small) and getting a slight hint of clove in the aroma.

Yeah it’s rather amazing actually. The pure hop aroma isn’t actually that strong. Drank a Snow tonight and the Sabro was barely discernible. That hop
Is so strong and even in small percentages it’s really easy to pick out. I could barely find it in Snow, although it was there. It leads me to believe that the dry hopping rates on these beers aren’t even close to what a lot of others are doing. Most of the aroma seems to be yeast driven, not hops at all.
100% agreed.

From a BA review of TH Snow:

“Taste of huge tangerine, orange juice, red grapefruit, lemon, lime, peach, pear, pineapple, apricot, passion fruit, papaya, mango, honeydew melon, guava, coconut, cream, gooseberry, cedar, mint, citrus peel/zest, light peppercorn/pine, wheat, biscuit dough, light honey/toast, and herbal/floral/grassy earthiness”

Now I know my palate sucks, but that is an insane amount of different flavor notes to isolate. Maybe they just copy/pasted the hop notes for Citra, Centennial and Sabro :)

It really was an incredible amount of ester character in that last batch of TH I had. So what do we do? All the tricks? Underpitch, ferment warm, low mash temp, etc., while using a hop rate of something like 9-10 oz total for a 5 gal batch? I am planning on a 100% WB-06 batch some time soon, no blending. Should be interesting. I'm also interested in WY1388 now that I know it's so similar to WB-06. Although the high attenuation level of those strains still puzzles me because there is so much residual sweetness to TH IPAs.

What's interesting is that I don't hear anything about clove character as far as Snow, even though it's a wheat IPA, which would presumably give it a higher ferulic acid content in the wort. Is it possible that TH uses some POF- version of a WB-06/WY1388 as their main strain? Or is it not critical that the strain be POF- as long as ester-maximizing strategies are followed?

Just thinking out loud...

Yeah it’s rather amazing actually. The pure hop aroma isn’t actually that strong. Drank a Snow tonight and the Sabro was barely discernible. That hop
Is so strong and even in small percentages it’s really easy to pick out. I could barely find it in Snow, although it was there. It leads me to believe that the dry hopping rates on these beers aren’t even close to what a lot of others are doing. Most of the aroma seems to be yeast driven, not hops at all.

I’ve thought this for a long time.

This thread interests me more about the mixing of yeasts rather than mimicking any Treehouse character.

Eureka is by far my favorite beer of theirs. It’s very easy to drink.

I’ve had beer from both Monson breweries and the new brewery is great...love the set up. It’s on the way to my mother and father in-laws so we stop there sometimes.

I’ve only had Green twice but honestly don’t feel it represents Galaxy all that well. Also, both times I had it, each was different from the other.

The last couple times we brought beer home...I drank the Eureka we got and left the others for people to drink. The yeast character really takes over when they warm up a bit (at least to me)...and I don’t enjoy them as much.

I know I may be in the minority, especially in this thread, but I’d prefer a more true to hop flavor than a yeast driven flavor.

My thoughts on their beer don’t take away from my interest in this thread though.

Last edited:
Yeah their Bright variants are a much better expression of the hops. I haven’t really enjoyed the Simcoe/Amarillo variant but I thought some of the others were great.

I don’t get very much Galaxy in a few Greens I’ve had as well. It’s there but definitely not very Galaxy forward.

The yeast blend beers they must be making some pretty decent margin on as I really don’t think they’re that heavily hopped.

The mouthfeel is top notch though. So light and easy to drink and just disappear leaving you with almost zero aftertaste and wanting to keep drinking. This is where I think so many people get this style wrong. They shouldn’t be thick and sweet and hard to drink.

If I was to try the yeast blend again I would be inclined to either add the two alternate yeasts as fermentation slows or with the dry hop addition pretty close to terminal.

Has anyone tried just fermenting with So4, finishing fermentation, cooling to say 60/62, dumping the yeast then adding the dry hop addition with a decent amount of sugar and the two yeast variants and capping the fermenter? Or doing that in a keg?

I just still don’t think they’re adding all the yeasts at the beginning.

The 2019 Green batches have a lot of Galaxy flavor in them, bursting with ripe pineapple, and other tropical fruits. I was chatting with one of the employees at Trillium and we were discussing how muddled beers tasted with the 2018 Galaxy. I think the consensus is that the 2018 Galaxy crop was not great. Recent 2019 Congress st isn't bad either and is much better than the 2018 Congress st., but it's no Green that's for sure. Hops like wine seem like they have a vintage characteristic and beers that heavily feature fresh hop aromas and flavors should be expected to change from year to year like wines.

I agree with your thinking re: adding some of the yeasts later. Given what was shared Isomerization shared in the presentation about bio transformation and WB-06, plus the lack of WB-06/hefe flavors in TH, and what's known about hop-creep it makes a lot of sense to me that WB06 and/or T-58 could be added later, along with the dry hops.

I am currently fermenting a batch in a corny keg that I added the dry hop addition and WB-06 at the same time. I capped and attached a spunding valve. I did not let S04 completely finish but will try that next time.

Yeah their Bright variants are a much better expression of the hops. I haven’t really enjoyed the Simcoe/Amarillo variant but I thought some of the others were great.

I don’t get very much Galaxy in a few Greens I’ve had as well. It’s there but definitely not very Galaxy forward.

The yeast blend beers they must be making some pretty decent margin on as I really don’t think they’re that heavily hopped.

The mouthfeel is top notch though. So light and easy to drink and just disappear leaving you with almost zero aftertaste and wanting to keep drinking. This is where I think so many people get this style wrong. They shouldn’t be thick and sweet and hard to drink.

If I was to try the yeast blend again I would be inclined to either add the two alternate yeasts as fermentation slows or with the dry hop addition pretty close to terminal.

Has anyone tried just fermenting with So4, finishing fermentation, cooling to say 60/62, dumping the yeast then adding the dry hop addition with a decent amount of sugar and the two yeast variants and capping the fermenter? Or doing that in a keg?

I just still don’t think they’re adding all the yeasts at the beginning.
I'm with you. I remember at some point researching Le Freak by Green Flash. This was a quote I read in an interview with the head brewer:

"He starts fermentation with a White Labs Belgian-style yeast, then on the second day, adds their regular American ale yeast, the same White Labs yeast used in the regular triple. As he says, it’s definitely Le Freak. Oh yes, it’s bottle conditioned with fresh yeast. And it’s 9.2 percent."

I think they're doing something along this line. Let the S04 eat for awhile and bring in one of the other to help finish (wb06). I'm assuming Nate figured out one of them (t58) does some pretty cool stuff with hops and adds it with the hops to eat up an O2. And CBC-1 at canning, again, to eat some O2.

On the notes about not a huge galaxy note in Green. Nate has said a lot that Galaxy is very easy to overdo. Which I agree with. It wouldn't surprise me if it takes a back seat to others.

The 2019 Green batches have a lot of Galaxy flavor in them, bursting with ripe pineapple, and other tropical fruits. I was chatting with one of the employees at Trillium and we were discussing how muddled beers tasted with the 2018 Galaxy. I think the consensus is that the 2018 Galaxy crop was not great. Recent 2019 Congress st isn't bad either and is much better than the 2018 Congress st., but it's no Green that's for sure. Hops like wine seem like they have a vintage characteristic and beers that heavily feature fresh hop aromas and flavors should be expected to change from year to year like wines.

I agree with your thinking re: adding some of the yeasts later. Given what was shared Isomerization shared in the presentation about bio transformation and WB-06, plus the lack of WB-06/hefe flavors in TH, and what's known about hop-creep it makes a lot of sense to me that WB06 and/or T-58 could be added later, along with the dry hops.

I am currently fermenting a batch in a corny keg that I added the dry hop addition and WB-06 at the same time. I capped and attached a spunding valve. I did not let S04 completely finish but will try that next time.

2019 batches of beer are using 2018 harvest of Galaxy. Southern Hemisphere hop harvest isn’t for another few months and breweries I don’t think start seeing it until May at the earliest. I’m still using some 2017 Galaxy I got from YVH that tastes and smells like passion fruit candy. Almost no pineapple.

I'm wondering if the yeast blend beers are actually yeast blend beers at all. I'm not sure you could get the kind of ester character that TH has been getting lately if you ferment with mostly S-04. Also, when I did my blended batch, the 100% WB-06 part of the blend smelled a whole lot like that aroma when you first open a can of Julius, Alter Ego, Haze, etc. That's what inspired me to plan a full 5 gal batch of 100% WB-06. Haven't done it yet.

It could very well be that TH add the S-04, CBC-1, and maybe even the T-58 to protect their IP and make sure their yeast can't be harvested from the can.

2019 batches of beer are using 2018 harvest of Galaxy. Southern Hemisphere hop harvest isn’t for another few months and breweries I don’t think start seeing it until May at the earliest. I’m still using some 2017 Galaxy I got from YVH that tastes and smells like passion fruit candy. Almost no pineapple.

Well said.
And I haven’t had any issues with what I got either.

The first time I had Green, I was impressed with the mouthfeel. But honestly felt like it drank like one of those beers you can only handle a bit of even though it was good. Although, it had a broad middle of the tongue spiciness that reminded me of Columbus. The second time I had it that flavor was less proportionate and the beer more drinkable.

*Edit...I’ve never been excited about the Bright beers. Bright with Nelson isn’t good to me at all.

Last edited:

Sorry, subtract a year from those numbers. The trillium employee gave me the impression they had recently change harvest years for their galaxy hops.

I definitely taste galaxy in green right now. I had a fresh can last week. And I always taste pineapple in Galaxy beers, especially in something like Bright w/ Green.

"Australian and American hops, this tropical heavy IPA opens up in the glass with notes of highly flavorful notes of pineapple, orange sorbet, lemon-lime, and tangerine. It has a soft but pointed bitterness and a rich, velvety mouthfeel."

"BBBrighttt w/Galaxy is a clean and elegant showcase for our favorite southern hemisphere hop - GALAXY! It builds upon the base beer resulting in an amplified flavor profile as a function of additional kettle and dry hopping from the base recipe. It tastes intense and much like fresh squeezed pineapple juice and a description defying exotic and compelling tropical fruit character."

I'm wondering if the yeast blend beers are actually yeast blend beers at all. I'm not sure you could get the kind of ester character that TH has been getting lately if you ferment with mostly S-04. Also, when I did my blended batch, the 100% WB-06 part of the blend smelled a whole lot like that aroma when you first open a can of Julius, Alter Ego, Haze, etc. That's what inspired me to plan a full 5 gal batch of 100% WB-06. Haven't done it yet.

It could very well be that TH add the S-04, CBC-1, and maybe even the T-58 to protect their IP and make sure their yeast can't be harvested from the can.
Could it be flipped? WB06 to start and S04 on day 2? Would the S04 eat until it's done, flocc out, and bring WB06 with it before it's done? Not sure that's how it works.

Could it be flipped? WB06 to start and S04 on day 2? Would the S04 eat until it's done, flocc out, and bring WB06 with it before it's done? Not sure that's how it works.
Yeah, I've wondered about that kind of thing too. Just thinking out loud, but I think the problem with that method would be that if you start with WB-06 and let it go to the point where it gives you the ester character you want, you'd have to add a ridiculously huge amount of S-04, given the population that the WB-06 would have built up by then. One thing I mulled around would be to crash out the WB-06 and then continue with something else that doesn't attenuate as far, but that has its own problems with O2 exposure, etc. Not to mention that would be a huge risk for a pro brewer to take with a diastaticus strain.

Yeah, I've wondered about that kind of thing too. Just thinking out loud, but I think the problem with that method would be that if you start with WB-06 and let it go to the point where it gives you the ester character you want, you'd have to add a ridiculously huge amount of S-04, given the population that the WB-06 would have built up by then. One thing I mulled around would be to crash out the WB-06 and then continue with something else that doesn't attenuate as far, but that has its own problems with O2 exposure, etc. Not to mention that would be a huge risk for a pro brewer to take with a diastaticus strain.
I always try and think about what is possible on their scale. Homebrewing, sure, that's pretty easy. In their huge FV, not so much.

I always try and think about what is possible on their scale. Homebrewing, sure, that's pretty easy. In their huge FV, not so much.
Right, yeah. Whenever I put it all together and think about it, I keep coming back to their fermentation being done with the most estery of the four strains (WB-06 and/or T-58) and the other two being in there for the purposes of protecting their secrets. Maybe the CBC-1 is for conditioning, who knows.

Some food for thought: a podcast shared by someone on r/homebrewing that talks about biotransformation:

That was interesting! Thanks! It's nice to see some studies regarding hopping coming out more frequently. This can partially explain how some people can use fewer hops and get similar intensity of flavor if they dry hop later in fermentation. I really love the flavor that comes from adding a pretty high amount of hops very early in fermentation, but I could see someone else liking the opposite.

Does anyone have a database of which yeast strains are capable of biotransformation and which aren't?

Made a small starter from the bottom of a doppelgänger can just to see what happens. Not going to use it, just want to pick out any smells or tastes. After 36 hours there’s some clumps (some are big some are small) and getting a slight hint of clove in the aroma.
So after chilling the starter, taste and aroma is straight hefe. How and which yeast is the question

Last edited:
On the notes about not a huge galaxy note in Green. Nate has said a lot that Galaxy is very easy to overdo. Which I agree with. It wouldn't surprise me if it takes a back seat to others.
I'm fairly certain Green is (or at least was) 80% Galaxy. The other 20% is probably mostly Amarillo.

Do we have any collective observations of TH's yeast handling practices? I recall someone on here reporting to have seen TH staff throwing bricks of yeast into fermenters. The below observations have puzzled me, as we see Nate using a stir plate in 2012, and again the appearance of stir plate/trays in Sierra Nevada's 2017 promo for the Beer Camp collab. Granted, Nate may have not developed the trio by 2012 (their older pictures certainly look different--Julius and Green appearing brighter/clearer and higher SRM), and the video from SN could be a total red herring. Otherwise, what's the purpose of stir plates for the dry yeast combo?

upload_2019-2-8_12-35-45.png

upload_2019-2-8_12-57-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-8_12-36-1.png
    upload_2019-2-8_12-36-1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Do we have any collective observations of TH's yeast handling practices? I recall someone on here reporting to have seen TH staff throwing bricks of yeast into fermenters. The below observations have puzzled me, as we see Nate using a stir plate in 2012, and again the appearance of stir plate/trays in Sierra Nevada's 2017 promo for the Beer Camp collab. Granted, Nate may have not developed the trio by 2012 (their older pictures certainly look different--Julius and Green appearing brighter/clearer and higher SRM), and the video from SN could be a total red herring. Otherwise, what's the purpose of stir plates for the dry yeast combo?

View attachment 611401

View attachment 611410

I have thought about the same thing. There can be a few options..
- in 2012 they could have been using different yeast like white labs. Who knows, maybe they still do?
- could be starters for krausening
- could indeed been starters for dry yeast/yeast blend
- could be experiments testing different yeasts
- could be starters for darker beers or fruit beers as you see in the pic
- on BA someone did mention seeing a flask labeled “house yeast” in the old brewery
- in that video there are multiple flasks being stirred.. different yeasts?
- could be a custom liquid blend they use now and require starters
- bricks being throwin in tanks could have been conditioning yeast or whoever saw that happen didn’t know what they were seeing. What’s the process in a commercial brewery for this?

So many options and process variables lol and again we may be deterred from doing certain things due to “conventional wisdom”. Who says you can’t make starters with those yeast or even blends? Has anyone tried it?

Isn’t Bright fermented with American ale yeast? I’d also wager that the dark beer series are not using the proposed dry yeast blend either.

Liquid starters would be appropriate for both of those scenarios.

We also don't really know that they're actually USING all 4 strains. For all we know, they could be using a liquid version of something very similar genetically to one of the 4 (e.g. WY1388) and the others are in there just to throw anyone off who tries to harvest their yeast from cans. Anyone know if 1388 can throw the esters that TH has been packing into their beer lately?

I love that lots of people are still contributing to this thread.

It probably has been mentioned, but on Wyeast’s 1388 description it says it’s prone to stalling at 1.035, so maybe Nate adds another yeast to finish the rest???

We also don't really know that they're actually USING all 4 strains. For all we know, they could be using a liquid version of something very similar genetically to one of the 4 (e.g. WY1388) and the others are in there just to throw anyone off who tries to harvest their yeast from cans. Anyone know if 1388 can throw the esters that TH has been packing into their beer lately?

Or they don’t clean their canning machine very well between different beers.

I love that lots of people are still contributing to this thread.

It probably has been mentioned, but on Wyeast’s 1388 description it says it’s prone to stalling at 1.035, so maybe Nate adds another yeast to finish the rest???
I wondered about that too, but isn't 1388 super attenuative and also notorious for starting back up in the bottle and overcarbing? Then again, there was that one report of a can being overcarbed. Who knows, maybe Nate uses the "Belgian stall" to his advantage.

I wondered about that too, but isn't 1388 super attenuative and also notorious for starting back up in the bottle and overcarbing? Then again, there was that one report of a can being overcarbed. Who knows, maybe Nate uses the "Belgian stall" to his advantage.

I don’t know, but both S-04 and T-58 have issues with maltotriose, so I wouldn’t that imply the WB-06-like yeast is what finishes the job (and keeps their beers from tasting too sweet)?

I don’t know, but both S-04 and T-58 have issues with maltotriose, so I wouldn’t that imply the WB-06-like yeast is what finishes the job (and keeps their beers from tasting too sweet)?
Man, I don't know, IMO the TH core IPAs all have quite a bit of sweetness to them. My attempts with the blend have been waaaaay drier than any of the TH beers. Actually, the funny thing is, the one attempt of mine that didn't turn out super dry was the one where I blended a 100% WB-06 ferment with an S-04/T-58 co-pitch. The 100% WB-06 part was about 15-20% of the total batch volume, but I had some temp control issues with it and it stalled at about 1.028 or so if I recall. It tasted good otherwise, and the S-04/T-58 ferment went well and tasted good, so I went ahead and blended them anyway. It turned out good. I think it was less sweet and less estery than TH still, but I think looking back it was the closest of my attempts, and definitely the least dry.

Do we have any observations of folks pairing S-04 with ONLY T-58 OR WB-06? That may lend clues as to ratios or when to pitch the varieties. I’ve only done the trio, with exception to most recently pairing S-04 with Danstar Munich Classic (not positive results, see above).

Do we have any observations of folks pairing S-04 with ONLY T-58 OR WB-06? That may lend clues as to ratios or when to pitch the varieties. I’ve only done the trio, with exception to most recently pairing S-04 with Danstar Munich Classic (not positive results, see above).
When I did my blended batch, the larger volume side of the blend was 85% S-04 and 15% T-58. Don't have my notes in front of me right now, but IIRC I pitched at around 61F and probably ramped it to 66F or so after the first couple of days. I remember that it was good, aromatic, but more hop centric than TH and the ester character was not the same as TH. No pepper character that I can recall.

I think the layering of yeast with dry hops has some credibility ... Most of these beers started as home brew recipes and when it comes to getting the lowest amount of DO possible on the homebrew scale, one of the easiest ways to do it may be with yeast. For example... pitching S04/T-58 blend warm on day 1 and fermenting at 66. Dry hop on day 2-3 (realistically they are doing this at a very specific point in fermentation based off of gravity) with WB06 added in. The benefit of the WbB06 is to scavenge any oxygen introduced with the dry hop as well as drive fermentation more. We know they are likely mashing quite high. Too high for S04 or T-58 (correct me if I'm wrong) to complete fermentation down to 1.011-1.012 (the FG of julius per scott janish's twitter). As @RTE said in a previous post yeast added after 72 hours into fermentation will contribute little to no flavor. So maybe the wb06 is added at a point where little flavor will be contributed.

I really believe the cbc1 is used for naturally carbing rather than hiding secrets. It also will stop the wb06 from attenuating more if any makes its way into the brite tank. It definitely helps hide secrets, but naturally carbing does wonders for roundness and mouthfeel based on my experience. To boot... nate's ah-ha beer is rochefort 8 and belgian beers tend to undergo a refermentation and nartural carbonation. I wouldn't be surprised if he adopted something similar.

As for the starters... it looks like there are two different types of yeast in those starters. Has anyone experimented with making dry yeast starters and seeing what effects they have on fermentation? Anytime I've been to the brewery I've never see any yeast kegs or tanks (that I can make out... I don't work in a brewery and you can't see much in there) which leads me to believe they could be pitching fresh dry yeast for every batch. Has anyone seen anything else?

Has anyone experimented with making dry yeast starters and seeing what effects they have on fermentation?

One of the big advantages of using dry yeast is that they need far less oxygen in the wort, as yeast need oxygen to build up sterol reserves for multiplication, and dry yeast are stuffed full of enough sterol reserves for ~3 multiplications. Making a starter from dry yeast just uses up all those sterols and you have to expose your NEIPA to lots of external oxygen to compensate. Bad idea.

One of the big advantages of using dry yeast is that they need far less oxygen in the wort, as yeast need oxygen to build up sterol reserves for multiplication, and dry yeast are stuffed full of enough sterol reserves for ~3 multiplications. Making a starter from dry yeast just uses up all those sterols and you have to expose your NEIPA to lots of external oxygen to compensate. Bad idea.

This is what my impression was!

Another benefit of WB06 is that it stood out in terms of biotransformation based on the presentation shared by Isomerization. It results in lower geraniol and higher linalool and citronellol compared with the other strains tested. According to this presentation by a Lab Manager named Kate Steblenko from Jack’s Abby Craft Lagers, biotransformation results in lower concentrations of geraniol and increased concentrations of citronellol, linalool, and nerol. Also there data shows that this process takes about 3-4 days (slides 15 and 16). They describe linalool as resulting fruity, tropical, fruit loops, and candy flavors (slide 19). All together it seems like WB06 has desired biotransformation properties and may be better at it than other yeasts tested.

That said I do think finishing too low is a concern with WB06. Julius tastes much sweeter than my recent beer with about an 85% attenuation. My wife and I drank them side by side. The Julius was about 5 weeks old and was not tasting its best, but that did allow the julius base to shine through and made the sweetness more apparent.

Based on possibility wb06 over attenuating and the lack of complete banding match, I've been looking for an alternative to wb06 that might have similar biotransformation properties but without the over attenuating characteristic. Any ideas? A liquid yeast would be nice because than I could hopefully create a starter to reuse across batches rather than throwing away the remainder of the wb06 pack each batch. What do people think of the below yeasts? I don't believe the manufacturers reported attenuation of over 80% for any of them. These liquid yeasts could explain why there are pictures of yeast starters at TH in the past.
  • WLP400 (Belgian Wit Ale yeast)
  • Wyeast 3333 (German Wheat)
  • Wyeast 3638 (Bavarian Wheat)
  • Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Witbier) <- this was one of the tested yeasts and doesn't appear to match TH colonies.
  • Wyeast 3942 (Belgian Wheat) <- this one is actually described as having apple, bubblegum and plum-like aromas
Also since it seems like WB06 is a close match for the yellow star colonies, but not a perfect match. Would a yeast similar to wb06, like a different wheat beer strain, have a similar but slightly different banding pattern? Or could it have any banding pattern under the moon?
Capture.JPG

WY3942 is one I am interested in as well. In addition to the description containing complex esters, it also says minimal phenolics. Based on the yeast family tree though, it is not close to the WB-06s and 1388s of the world.

Back