Isolated Yeast (Tree House): How to Identify and Characterize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just fermented a beer with a blend of 1318 and the Wyeast version of 540.

540 might not be POf+ but it definitely puts off this ethanol / high alcohol type of aroma that would fit with certain Belgian type beers.

It’s nothhing like any Treehouse ester profile.

As someone who’s not used 540 in this context- it’s a fabulous yeast that doesn’t necessarily “click” in this context.

For what its worth this references Wyeast 1762 for a Rochefort 8 clone. I'm not very familiar with the belgian strains so maybe someone can enlighten us on their experience with it or its relation to the 540.

https://blog.eckraus.com/rochefort-8-clone-beer-recipe-all-grain
Right, yeah, they're supposed to be the same strain, as homebrew lore has it.

Of course there are some strains on the yeast family tree that were thought to be the same but are not. For example, WY1098 is closer to 1318 than to WLP007, even though 1098 and 007 are often reported to be the same. I don't see 1762 labeled on the tree yet unfortunately.

Right, yeah, they're supposed to be the same strain, as homebrew lore has it.

Of course there are some strains on the yeast family tree that were thought to be the same but are not. For example, WY1098 is closer to 1318 than to WLP007, even though 1098 and 007 are often reported to be the same. I don't see 1762 labeled on the tree yet unfortunately.

Agreed. Some experiments are in order to support or refute.

I’ve brewed around 6 attempts using the S04/T58/WB06 blend. The first two were way too spicy, the second two were ok, but the last two have been really good. I stopped rehydrating before pitching on the last two. I’m using the standard ratios from the Trinity clone.

Happened to come across this whilst looking for something else, about their plans for wastewater treatment :
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...tle-greener/zrvFgSOnxekQUtXRH3NrtI/story.html

The Tree House Brewing Co. says it has been doubling its production every year, brewing 1.5 million gallons of beer in 2018....

For Keith DellaPorta, a Billerica resident who drives an hour and a half every few weeks to visit the brewery and stock up, the sustainability is part of the appeal....DellaPorta, who once waited in line over two days to get four cans of a special, limited-time beer called Juice Machine

Interesting kind of sustainability that involves lots of single-occupant cars driving for 90 minutes....

I’ve brewed around 6 attempts using the S04/T58/WB06 blend. The first two were way too spicy, the second two were ok, but the last two have been really good. I stopped rehydrating before pitching on the last two. I’m using the standard ratios from the Trinity clone.

Did you alter the ratios between these six batches? If not, then perhaps one of the non-S04 yeasts was benefiting form the rehydration and “altering” your affective ratios. What’s your ferm temp process?

Did you alter the ratios between these six batches? If not, then perhaps one of the non-S04 yeasts was benefiting form the rehydration and “altering” your affective ratios. What’s your ferm temp process?
Aside from my first batch, same ratios. I got lazy on my fifth batch and was blown away how much better it was than all of my other attempts. I have full fermentation control and hold 70F for the first 24 hours then drop it to 64F for the remained.

Aside from my first batch, same ratios. I got lazy on my fifth batch and was blown away how much better it was than all of my other attempts. I have full fermentation control and hold 70F for the first 24 hours then drop it to 64F for the remained.

Pitching temp? Just asking because for the same to person to get such different results across multiple batches is very intriguing.

Since TH moved to the new facility, has the new batches been tested yet? Wonder if they use the same strains now that they have ramped up significantly?

I made a hefeweizen with WB-06 last year and it had zero clove or banana. I'll never make that mistake again.
That's noteworthy. I've had some bad experiences with clove phenolics with our blend here too, and I attributed it to the WB-06, just like @NJGeorge. Who knows, maybe it was the T-58 all along.

What were your fermentation parameters? Pitching temp, fermentation temp, pitch rate, O2 strategy, carb method, packaging method, etc.?

What was your grist like, any wheat or non-malt adjuncts? Fine crush?

What was your mash program like?

What was the beer like? Did it have other fruity esters going for it, other than banana? Any pepper character?

Since TH moved to the new facility, has the new batches been tested yet? Wonder if they use the same strains now that they have ramped up significantly?

I personally haven’t tested anything since what was posted. I changed jobs and no longer have access to equipment/reagents I’d need at work.

I personally haven’t tested anything since what was posted. I changed jobs and no longer have access to equipment/reagents I’d need at work.

Hi, I tried to read as much out of this amazing thread as I could, but surely not all...So please excuse me if my question has already been touched upon/ answered... But I was wondering, has anyone tried to find out what yeast or yeasts Hill Farmstead are using in their hoppy beers? I'm not finding much info on the subject other than speculations they are using 1318.. . But many people don't seem to believe that. Was just wondering. I've unfirtunately never had chance to try any original NE-beer myself living in Europe...

Hi, I tried to read as much out of this amazing thread as I could, but surely not all...So please excuse me if my question has already been touched upon/ answered... But I was wondering, has anyone tried to find out what yeast or yeasts Hill Farmstead are using in their hoppy beers? I'm not finding much info on the subject other than speculations they are using 1318.. . But many people don't seem to believe that. Was just wondering. I've unfirtunately never had chance to try any original NE-beer myself living in Europe...

@couchsending sent me some dregs from a HF growler (I think, not sure what beer though). I propped it up and the starter was extremely flocculant (like WY1968 egg drop soup style). I think he may have made a batch with it, but not certain.

I personally really like 1318 for my NE IPA, so I’ve stuck with that.

That's noteworthy. I've had some bad experiences with clove phenolics with our blend here too, and I attributed it to the WB-06, just like @NJGeorge. Who knows, maybe it was the T-58 all along.

What were your fermentation parameters? Pitching temp, fermentation temp, pitch rate, O2 strategy, carb method, packaging method, etc.?

What was your grist like, any wheat or non-malt adjuncts? Fine crush?

What was your mash program like?

What was the beer like? Did it have other fruity esters going for it, other than banana? Any pepper character?

Based on notes and foggy memory from a year ago...

I purposely underpitched, sprinked on top dry, no aeration, fermented cool about 62 F for the first couple days then jumped it up to 70 F to finish. Primed and naturally carbonated in bottles. Used about 50-55% wheat malt, no adjuncts. I always crush pretty fine, efficiency was 74%. Mashed at about 152 F for 40 minutes. I don't get fancy with my mashes. Beer tasted bland, and quite tart, with a red apple ester. Measured pH of the finished beer in the ~3.8 range if memory serves, so it was indeed acidic. Spiciness would have come from Hallertau hops, but I would not call it peppery. I might have just fermented too cold, I'm not sure. OG 1.046, FG 1.008. Not happy with the results, whatever I might have done "wrong" or right.

Last edited:
Nice find - at last people are publishing some work on this. This pic from Takoi et al 2014 may help make sense of it, it looks possible that WB-06 is converting geraniol to citronellol and linalool. But my experience was that WB-06 just smashed everything up, so you ended up with a complex mix at low levels overall, T-58 did a better job of doing some biotransformation without destroying all the flavours.

Metabolism-cascade-of-monoterpene-alcohols-by-lager-and-ale-yeast-proposed-by-King-et-al.png

This presentation was interesting:

http://convention2018.ibdasiapac.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/1330-Graham-Eyres-Lapel.pdf

Specifically slide 16 shows the putative bio transformation ability of different commercial yeasts, one of which happens to be WB-06. This strain looks to be very active in converting geraniol to other compounds (based on my understanding, could be off base here).
On the same slide show, it talks about pitch rate and limiting esters. I guess I don't know about phenols but could that also be a bit of a clue?

Nice find - at last people are publishing some work on this. This pic from Takoi et al 2014 may help make sense of it, it looks possible that WB-06 is converting geraniol to citronellol and linalool. But my experience was that WB-06 just smashed everything up, so you ended up with a complex mix at low levels overall, T-58 did a better job of doing some biotransformation without destroying all the flavours.

Metabolism-cascade-of-monoterpene-alcohols-by-lager-and-ale-yeast-proposed-by-King-et-al.png

Did you try the two yeasts together? Could be some synergy occurring or the WB-0

On the same slide show, it talks about pitch rate and limiting esters. I guess I don't know about phenols but could that also be a bit of a clue?

I did look like the higher pitch resulted in more hop oils in the final beer. Both the standard and high pitch rates were fairly similar, so could be the length of the slower fermentation that allowed the losses in the low pitch beer?

Did you try the two yeasts together? Could be some synergy occurring or the WB-0

This was the expt I described back in #2401. With WB-06 on its own the yeast flavours kinda overwhelmed the hops so you only really could see it when the WB-06 was diluted with other things, but I think the "overwhelming the hops" thing suggests that WB-06 could beat up the hops just on its own.

Today I pitched 6% Munich Classic with 94% S-04, mostly Southern Hemisphere hops. Fingers crossed. Will keep you posted.

While that study is showing WB-06 is a strong bio-transformer, my anecdotal evidence on my recent dry Munich Classic experiment is that it is NOT. The beer isn’t bad, but the MC just doesn’t add any nuance or complexity to the S-04. I was hoping to find some unique banana/fruit without the STA1/overattenuation risk, but no interesting character is detectable.

On the contrary, I’ve had favorable results with the fermentis trio. The study may affirm my suspicion that WB-06 is the more important driver of TH character than the T-58. I intend to take my next iteration that direction.

If you follow the Trinity framework, skip re-hydration, and control temp, you should come close to scratching that itch!

Hi All,

I've been following this thread for a while and read through it completely at least once, maybe twice. Thank you all for your contributions, especially those of you who have shared the recipes and results for several repeated batches. Following your journeys has been great. There's been a lot of interesting discussions on brewing processes and theory which have been insightful beyond chasing the white whale of cloning recipes.

About a year ago I made a poor attempt at following the clone recipe on the Trinity Brewer website. I was heavy handed with both wb-06 and t-58 and had zero temperature control. I set my ambient temperature to 72 in fear that it was too cold in my house and wound up with a banana bomb. Since then I've been keeping it simple brewing IPAs with 1318 which seems to forgive my lack of fermentation temp. control. After making some equipment upgrades and pulling off some more simple brews I'm looking to give this another shot.

My fermentation plan for a 5 gallon batch is to pitch 11.5g S04 and 1g T58 together and ferment in the low 60s. This seems to be a successful range used and aligns with northern brewers latest comment. I think the photo of the TH temp control unit showed 66 for most vessels (?) so that would be like low 60s on a commercial scale, right?

After 72 hours I plan on adding ~1-2g WB06. My hypothesis is that WB06 could be used to increase attenuation rather than for aroma/flavor. Based on a presentation by White Labs on yeast blending (linked below), yeast blending can be used for two goals: increase flavors or finish attenuation. S04 and T58 have moderate attenuation. WB06 is higher attenuating with less desirable flavors (i.e. clove).

According to the presentation yeasts added after 72 hours are unlikely to add to the flavor of aroma and beer. I thinking this could be a good way to avoid the clove/hefe flavors. This assumes that the S04/T58 needs help attenuating to clone TH/Julius. Does anyone know the FG of Julius and is that a relevant number? For example, could you guess-timate an approximate attenuation of Julius based on the FG and then use that to decide if S04 at 72-75% attenuation would need help reaching at Julius attenuation?

Interestingly, under the goal increase attenuation/fermentation performance, the presentation used as an example mixing WLP002 (medium attenuation and alcohol tolerance) with WLP007 (high attenuation). S04 is similar to WLP002 correct?

What I'm unsure of is what ratio/amount of WB06 to use as a late addition yeast. Any ideas? To be conservative i was thinking of using a small amount similar to what would be used for natural carbing (1-2g). Worst case scenario it might not do anything.

Ramblings: I'm still a bit uncertain of where the TH bubblegum characteristic comes from. When I taste TH, in particular the core beers like Julius, Alter and Green, the bubble gum flavor shows up after I taste the citrus/fruityness of the hops, but before the bitterness that finishes out the taste. I've noticed the presence of bubble gum is the least consistent characteristic of their beers. I had some Julius in November that was bursting with that flavor. My cans for last week have it but to a lesser degree. I have some apollo right now and I almost think I can detect it when I smell the hops. I'm wondering if the bubble gum is caused by some house hop blend after "bio transformation."
Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. I'm still very much a beginner (<10 batches).

Source: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/presentations/pdf/2014/A Guide To Blending Yeast Strains.pdf

What were your findings?!

What were your findings?!

Hi. Long post incoming. I kegged yesterday on day 10. It is force carbonating now but I think I have enough of impression to report. Overall the beer is okay. The look checks out, but maybe too brown. Brewers friend reports 5.42 SRM. It may clear and lighten in color as the beer ages in the keg. Softness is decent, okay citra taste, tons of citra aroma, and I think I detect a touch of T-58 spice and maybe a hit of the bubblegummy flavor. There is no banana/hefe WB-06 flavor. The citra aroma and taste fades quickly and is overpowered by a heavy dose of bitterness sadly. It's also more green tasting than I like. To combat that greenness I could have used less flameout and DH hops and also let it chill/crash longer.

I calculated my FG and OG using a cheap Brix refractometer. It had a 12.7 Brix/1.053 OG pointing to a 61% efficiency :( and 1.009 FG. That's roughly a 86% attenuation. I pitched about 1g WB-06 and my drop hops 48 hours after pitching a pack of S04 and ~1.5g of T-58. I re-hydrated in 90F distilled water both times. When I pitched the WB-06 I measured the SG at 1.017. The FG is low but I think avoided any of the var. diastaticus aspects of the WB-06 strain. The beer is fairly light in body due to the low OG and FG I think. I'm hoping some carbonation will give it more fullness.

I fermented at 62 using a brew jacket immersion pro IP. (First time using it). I raised the temp to 72 for the last 48 hours. I really like being able to control the temperature precisely, but the IP made the closed transfer very difficult. I may forgo the IP next time. I started cold crashing with the IP and the help of mother nature courtesy an open basement window but gave up. I was to concerned about 02 pickup so instead I kegged it after a few hours with the hope that it can continue to crash there.

This was the first beer I've brewed on the Mash and Boil. I thought the M&B might simplify things and it certainly did, but I still introduced a few new variables, which is complicating my assessment of the beer. The main issue is that I used the no "chill method" to make the brew day even shorter, what I forgot to account for is that by not chilling I effectively increased the length of the boil and inadvertently increased IBUs. The beer is quite bitter. It is still drinkable but I'd call it an extra bitter NEIPA. The other issue was my efficiency. The flow of the recirculating pump was too high during the mash. Also I ordered milled oat malt online but it definitely need a second milling as many of the husks weren't broken.

I am going to repeat this same brew with slightly different grain percentages and hops, because that's what I have on hand. I will use my immersion chiller, will ferment in a corny keg, and will attach a spunding valve at the same time that I add the wb-06 and the dry hops.

Grain bill:
  • 9.38 lb American - Pale 2-Row (72.3%)
  • 2 lb United Kingdom - Oat Malt (15.4%)
  • 0.5 lb American - White Wheat (3.9%)
  • 0.5 lb United Kingdom - Golden Naked Oats (3.9%)
  • 0.33 lb American - Carapils (2.5%)
  • 0.26 lb Canadian - Honey Malt (2%)
I did not intend on using white wheat or golden naked oats but there was some confusion at the LHBS. I later had to mix a bag containing way too many lbs of milled golden naked oats with 2-row and oat malt.

Hops:
  • 3 ml CTZ Extract @ 60 min
  • 1 oz Apollo Pellet @ 10 min
  • 2 oz Apollo Pellet @ 5 min
  • 3 oz Citra Pellet @ 0 min
  • 5.5 oz Citra Pellet Dry Hop @ 2 days
  • 1 oz Amarillo Pellet Dry Hop @ 2 days
  • 1 oz Mosaic Pellet Dry Hop 2 days
The water was probably close to boiling temp for an extra 30-60min...

Mash Water
  • 2 g Gypsum
  • 2 g Epsom Salt
  • 5.5 g Calcium Chloride
  • CA/NA/CL/SO ppm: 89.9/33.0/146.0/87.9
  • Mash PH: 5.3
  • Boil PH: 5.2, added 1ml lactic acid to lower to 5.1
file_s.jpeg

Minor update: Now that the beer has been chilling in the keg for a day and is carbonated, it's tasting great. The greenness has faded and with that the extra bitterness. I've very happy with the subtle spice that comes with ~1g of T-58 in 4.5-5 gallons fermented at 62 degrees. I also like the higher attenuation that I think the WB-06 gave by adding the yeast late with the dry hops, essentially an intended hop-creep effect. This beer unlike my past beers has much less residual sugar/sweetness, which I think is more similar to the TH style.

I found pg. 25 of the study to be very interesting. What exactly caused the ethyl hexanoate concentration to peak at 36 hours, and then drop off? Could the esters have been preserved by capping fermentation at that point? I do believe that the bubblegum flavor comes from some mix of isoamyl acetate and one or more ethyl esters, such as ethyl butanoate, hexanoate, etc.

There's a strain on the yeast family tree that's labeled CBS7539 in the same group as WB-06 and WY1388. Anyone have any idea what CBS7539 is or if it's available to homebrewers to use?

Last edited:
There's a strain on the yeast family tree that's labeled CBS7539 in the same group as WB-06 and WY1388. Anyone have any idea what CBS7539 is or if it's available to homebrewers to use?

Most things are available if you're prepared to pay yeastbank fees - Britain's NCYC (one of the most expensive) charges £140 or £180 plus 20% tax plus £45 shipping, so at least €240/US$280 for non-academic users.

A CBS code stands for the Centraalbureau voor Schimmelcultures in Utrecht, now the Westerdijk Institute - the CBS7539 page is here. So only €170 plus extras. It was deposited in 1984 by G.K. Bambalov of the food institute in Plovdiv, Bulgaria who harvested it from "turbid beer" (wheat beer?). The strain page mentions CD-2, so I guess it may be the same CD-2 mentioned in this 1991 paper by Bambalov on "new" diastaticus-like strains. Someone whose Russian is less rusty than mine may be able to get more out of that paper?

I suspect someone ??from the Kamenitza brewery in Plovdiv?? had just harvested yeast from a bottle of Duvel or whatever and used it to make a wheat beer, but that's just speculation - there's a similar example of a banked yeast from Ukraine that looks like a derivative of NCYC88, one of the main strains of brewing research in the UK.

Finally got a delivery today of some fresh TH. C57, J, Snow, Aaaaaalter, DoubleG, Galaxy Bbbbbbright, In Perp. Haven’t had any since September or so.

These beers seem a little more dialed in than the stuff from this summer.

I must say the yeast esters are incredibly strong. It’s almost hard to actually pick out the hops themselves.

To me what really sets their beers apart is how light they are. Never heavy or thick or hard to drink. Which is the complete opposite of so many trying to make this style. They’re soft and light and disappear mid pallet.

Finally got a delivery today of some fresh TH. C57, J, Snow, Aaaaaalter, DoubleG, Galaxy Bbbbbbright, In Perp. Haven’t had any since September or so.

These beers seem a little more dialed in than the stuff from this summer.

I must say the yeast esters are incredibly strong. It’s almost hard to actually pick out the hops themselves.

To me what really sets their beers apart is how light they are. Never heavy or thick or hard to drink. Which is the complete opposite of so many trying to make this style. They’re soft and light and disappear mid pallet.
My experience with the TH I drank in December was the same. Extremely strong esters that competed for intensity with the hops.

Yeah it’s rather amazing actually. The pure hop aroma isn’t actually that strong. Drank a Snow tonight and the Sabro was barely discernible. That hop
Is so strong and even in small percentages it’s really easy to pick out. I could barely find it in Snow, although it was there. It leads me to believe that the dry hopping rates on these beers aren’t even close to what a lot of others are doing. Most of the aroma seems to be yeast driven, not hops at all.

Back