Isolated Yeast (Tree House): How to Identify and Characterize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main idea that keeps me from thinking CBC-1 is used for that purpose (or as a sabotage to others propagating dregs) is that yeast autolysis is supposed to create terrible off flavors right? It's out dated now, but that was the whole idea behind secondaries right, get the beer off the yeast cake to prevent autolysis. We know that's not happening so fast, but the idea remains that lysed yeast taste bad.

Pitch CBC-24 hours pass-transfer
Non issue afai can tell.
Then we're talking 24-72 more hours of conditioning/dryhopping, with possibly another transfer? I don't see how autolysis could be an issue in that timeframe. We, as homebrewers, pitch dead yeast all the time. Not everything in that starter is viable, especially true in a slurry.
While, as my understanding goes, autolysis can occur more quickly under pressure, we can't be certain that it still has time to occur in THs brewing process.
Another question would be, does autolysis and "killer yeast" create the same off flavors if the "killer yeast" is pitched before terminal gravity?

You should start counting your yeast viability with a hemacytometer and a microscope with dye. Some pitch as extremely low viability starters

I assume the percentages are based on initial pitch, therefore if I'd want to introduce 5% CBC at the carbonation stage, I'd need to back out how much yeast is most likely in my beer at that time

Yep those percentages were the starting inocula. You're right that, to be truly accurate, you'd need to get some estimate of viable cells in suspension at the end of your ferment to assess your co-pitching % of CBC-1. But I bet there's some info already out there about "average" numbers of viable cells at end of ferment that could be a reasonabl starting point.

The main idea that keeps me from thinking CBC-1 is used for that purpose (or as a sabotage to others propagating dregs) is that yeast autolysis is supposed to create terrible off flavors right? It's out dated now, but that was the whole idea behind secondaries right, get the beer off the yeast cake to prevent autolysis. We know that's not happening so fast, but the idea remains that lysed yeast taste bad.

Right. That's what's bugging me too about this. In some of the articles that I read, they specifically describe "characteristic off-flavors" and/or "herbal/phenolic" flavors in the killer yeast co-incubation experiments, which they hypothesize could be related to the high % of lysed yeast cells in the wort.

Pitch CBC-24 hours pass-transfer
Non issue afai can tell.
Then we're talking 24-72 more hours of conditioning/dryhopping, with possibly another transfer? I don't see how autolysis could be an issue in that timeframe. We, as homebrewers, pitch dead yeast all the time. Not everything in that starter is viable, especially true in a slurry.
While, as my understanding goes, autolysis can occur more quickly under pressure, we can't be certain that it still has time to occur in THs brewing process.
Another question would be, does autolysis and "killer yeast" create the same off flavors if the "killer yeast" is pitched before terminal gravity?

I don't know if this is pertinent to our situation, but I want to clarify that autolysis and programmed cell death (apoptosis, pyroptosis and necrosis) are different from autolysis. They are active pathways, rather than a passive event like autolysis, that happen quickly upon exposure to the killer toxin. The off flavors would result from lysis or the bacteria, which is the same outcome of all the above mentioned events.

Starter notes after 48 hours (1.040 DME)
S-04: Slight fruit, mostly clean, slight twang, very slight haze.
WB-06: Some banana, some tartness, slight fruit, very slight spice, some haze (most haze of the three).
T-58: Mostly spice - leans pepper, light fruit with light banana (fruit and banana have faded noticeably from a couple of days ago), mostly clear.

So it looks like mine has finished up at 1.020, I mashed at 158F, so next time will drop that to 156F. Here's the hydro sample:

izno1l.jpg

So, at first I was quite worried as there is like no aroma, despite a 3 oz primary dry hop. Then I tasted it :) Very juice-forward, slight hop bite, silky body, no yeast off flavors. It's in the keg with another 3 oz for 2-3 days at room temp before I will put it on gas.

Put this in a keg with some hops, CBC-1, and sugar. The last hydrometer sample above was tasting pretty awesome. It's going to be a long week waiting to take a proper crack at it.

FG 1.013.

Looks nice and taste description seems promising. This was 79/15/6 S-04/WB-06/T-58? Which recipe did you use? It's tough to keep track w/ all the experimentation going on :)

I don't know if this is pertinent to our situation, but I want to clarify that autolysis and programmed cell death (apoptosis, pyroptosis and necrosis) are different from autolysis. They are active pathways, rather than a passive event like autolysis, that happen quickly upon exposure to the killer toxin. The off flavors would result from lysis or the bacteria, which is the same outcome of all the above mentioned events.

I'd guess that generally speaking, rapid passive lysis vs. active programmed autolysis would impart similar (potential) off-flavor. Though active autolysis probably triggers some additional cell-death pathways that could at least potentially produce more compounds that could result in off-flavors. Just pure speculation though as I have no direct evidence to support this in yeast.

Looks nice and taste description seems promising. This was 79/15/6 S-04/WB-06/T-58? Which recipe did you use? It's tough to keep track w/ all the experimentation going on :)

Yep.
79/15/6

77% Rahr 2-row
20% Weyermann Carafoam
3% C-40

80 IBUs (beersmith)
OG: 1.065
Mash: 158F

Galaxy, Amarillo, Simcoe, and bit of Columbus.

Did a hop shot, addition at 5 minutes, and 10minute flame out addition to get the IBUS — super subdued.

At this point I'm still inclined to push the WB-06 and T-58 higher next time around, but this will be very good. (Very IPA - no belgian qualities).

I'd guess that generally speaking, rapid passive lysis vs. active programmed autolysis would impart similar (potential) off-flavor. Though active autolysis probably triggers some additional cell-death pathways that could at least potentially produce more compounds that could result in off-flavors. Just pure speculation though as I have no direct evidence to support this in yeast.

What's important to remember is that it's the release of the cytosolic compounds that is going to produce the off flavors. Autolysis takes months to occur at the homebrew scale, whereas cell death from killer toxins COULD occur much quicker.

What's important to remember is that it's the release of the cytosolic compounds that is going to produce the off flavors. Autolysis takes months to occur at the homebrew scale, whereas cell death from killer toxins COULD occur much quicker.

I appreciate this discussion, because I'm considering switching to speisse + CBC for carbonation. I will also admit that my current contribution to the discussion is pure speculation, but I am wondering if there are some research papers that would prove helpful.

CBC-1 is known/intended to be a bottling/conditioning strain. Therefore, this lysing process should be handled somehow. Perhaps because autolysis off flavors typically occur from the slow starvation death of yeast attempting to hibernate/survive, there is no where for the compounds to go. But if there is active healthy yeast (CBC) co-mingling with the lysing yeast, I can imagine there is a bit off a clean-up effect

The more reading I do, the more moving parts this whole CBC-1 "killer yeast" situation develops...

Q#1: Does CBC-1 possess the K-1 toxin, the K-28 toxin, or both?

Each of these toxins has a different MOA, and each has distinct activity and degradation properties and kinetics. Knowing the answer to this would help to understand how truly potent/significant it's "killer" moniker truly is in the setting of brewing a batch a beer. Though as you'll see from the info in my post, presence/absence of the K-28 toxin is probably of marginal significance to overall effects on brewing yeasts.

Q#2: How do the wort characteristics affect CBC-1's killer activity?

From these 2 articles: http://www.microbiologyresearch.org...498&checksum=68706C3BF7107413A7094CDB64027DC0
http://www.microbiologyresearch.org...est&checksum=C2C0F23601CBC6354C60DE87B3ECB99E

There are pretty well-defined conditions that increase/decrease killing activity. Specifically:

--Log-phase cells were "most susceptible" to the effects of both killing factors (Note: I'm assuming KF1 & KF2 as described in these articles correlate w/ current nomenclature of K-1 and K-28. But this could be wrong...) as compared to "resting-phase cells". In fact, stationary-phase cells were actually described as "completely resistant" to the effects of KF1.

--During a 12h incubation experiment, KF1 was truly cidal via standard definitions (>= 99.9% killing of original viable inoculum) whereas KF2 was really only static (inhibited growth c/w a growth control).

--KF1 is thermolabile; total inactivation occurred in 90min @ 28*C (82*F); ~50% inactivation @ 25*C (77*F), and only slight degradation appeared to occur after 24h of incubation at 22*C (72*F).

--KF2 is much more thermostable (only 50% degradation over 4h at 60*C).

--The optimum pH range for the production, stability, and activity of KF1 is 4.6-4.8. "No active KF1 solutions were produced in complete medium above pH 5.0." Production of KF1 did appear to occur at pH 3.6-4.4, but it was lower and degraded quickly.

--The optimum pH for production of KF2 was 4.0-4.8 but considerable KF2 activity (60% of optimum activity) was observed at pH 5.8.

From the exbeeriment done on IPA pH, I noted that the pH's of those IPAs prior to packaging were shown as 4.4 & 4.5. (http://brulosophy.com/2016/08/08/water-chemistry-pt-5-boil-ph-in-an-ipa-exbeeriment-results/)

What the heck does this all mean??? :confused:

I guess my bottom-line assessment of all this toxin research is that when CBC-1 is used as a conditioning strain:

1--It probably doesn't produce a lot of toxin
2--The toxin that is produced is probably degraded fairly quickly
3--Most of the sensitive cells present are probably in the dormant/resting phase and are therefore probably fairly resistant to the effects of the toxin(s)
4--Not a lot of actual sensitive cell killing occurs

I'd hypothesize that when used as a conditioning/carbonating strain (with added simple sugars during this step), CBC-1 probably is awesome because:

1--Does an effective job of suppressing the re-activation of log-phase growth of previously-used yeast(s) in the primary fermentation when you add priming sugars
2--Doesn't cause a lot of cell lysis (minimizing concerns of imparting off-flavors)
3--Produces a clean, reproducible carbonation and doesn't mess with the mouthfeel as it does not use maltotriose (which should be present in significant quantities for ferments where S-04 and T-58 are used)
4--Helps to stabilize the flavor profile (potentially) by minimizing activation of the primary ferment strains after packaging

Other thoughts welcome...

Yep.
79/15/6

77% Rahr 2-row
20% Weyermann Carafoam
3% C-40

80 IBUs (beersmith)
OG: 1.065
Mash: 158F

Galaxy, Amarillo, Simcoe, and bit of Columbus.

Did a hop shot, addition at 5 minutes, and 10minute flame out addition to get the IBUS — super subdued.

At this point I'm still inclined to push the WB-06 and T-58 higher next time around, but this will be very good. (Very IPA - no belgian qualities).

Melville, do you mind sharing what your fermentation schedule is for this batch, including temps?

Yes I would. I think the exact percentage is less important than the retained amount of higher and more complex esters. The next round I'll co-pitch 04 and 06 together by about 50% under for 24 hours, then drop the temp and add the 58 to let fermentation complete.
The attenuation drop is registered and reflected in BeerSmith when the mash is adjusted.

Happy to!
I'd say what I'm finding now is Julius to be less of a hop driven beer than I ever imagined. To me it now comes across as a perfect Golden Triangle of hops/esters/malt. I'm dropping the wheat and simplifying my malts to bring forward the esters. I'd also suggest smaller dry hop charges (although I'll fail to control myself here) in an effort to balance the beer more and let the esters shine through some. Watching previous posts about simplified grist makes me wonder about larger amounts of carafoam and maybe just a Weyermann 2 row. Those experiments will just require more brewing.
Next fermentation will be:
5 grams of S-04/5 grams of WB-06 at 75* for 24 hours
Drop temp to 60* and add 5 grams of S-04 and 2 grams of T-58 for duration of ferm.
(I'm not using CBC-1 because I don't see where it fits. The simplest explanation to me is, he's sabotaging the beer? More than that, I don't want to replicate his process exactly...I just want to get really really really really close lol)

It's important to note that I got ZERO bavarian or hef character in my last beer. It was all juicy fruit and fresh squeezed citrus. I kicked my keg last night and it was the quickest beer to ever kick here at this house. I force carbed in under 48 hours with 40lbs of gas for 24 hours then backed off to let the head pressure dissolve into solution. I don't purge for serving and have never had a problem doing this. The mouthfeel was reported to be just as soft as Treehouse with velvety carbonation and I usually carb to around 12lbs. My thoughts are simple on the chemistry - soft water = soft beer. I'm going up a tad on my sulfate though and will keep my ratio at 66% for a 100:150 high sulfate ppm.

marshallb, in this case of doing the following...

Drop temp to 60* and add 5 grams of S-04 and 2 grams of T-58 for duration of ferm.

Would this make your %s equal to:

S04 = 59%
T-58 = 12%
WB-06 = 29%

?

Also - do you mind sharing your most recent grain bill and hopping schedule? Here is what I noted from your previous post...

Day 1 - 5 grams of S-04 & 5 grams of WB-06 at 75* for 24 hours

Day 2 - Drop temp controller to 60* and add 5 grams of S-04 & 2 grams of T-58 for duration of fermentation

Day 5 - Raise temp controller to 70 and dry hop for 4 days

Day 9 - Cold Crash

Day 10 - Force Carb @ 40 PSI for 24 hours

Is this still accurate?

Melville, do you mind sharing what your fermentation schedule is for this batch, including temps?

Pitch yeast mix at 85F (that based on a janish article/possible glycerol bump).
5 days at 65F
2 days at 75
1 day at 35

(Dry hop at 36 hours (have to act fast if pitching complete mix — krausen was gone at 48 hrs)
Dry hop on day 5.)

Transferred to keg.

---------------------
The plan now: condition at 65F for 7-8 days.

5 days at 65F
2 days at 75
1 day at 35

(Dry hop at 36 hours (have to act fast if pitching complete mix — krausen was gone at 48 hrs)
Dry hop on day 5.)

Transferred to keg.

---------------------

Haven't read the Janish article but there is some interesting research out there on heat shocking yeast for short periods of time to increase glycerol production. There are a few papers but most of the research was done on wine yeast and lager yeast if I'm not mistaken (been a few months since I read it). From what my small, state school educated brain could determine is heat shocking a starter at close to 100 for a short period of time then dropping the temps had a dramatic increase in glycerol production of certain yeasts. Then with each generation the glycerol production would increase. Again it's been a while, have to find the papers I was reading.

Just got back from vacation and trying a few of the beers I left out to naturally carb with a 50/50 blend of T-58 and CBC-1. Had a buddy throw the kegs in my keezer yesterday before I got back so they need some time to stabilize a bit. However the mouthfeel on the half I pseudo krausened is insanely smooth and soft. Basically just made a small starter with the wort I pulled off and pitched the starter. I don't remember the amount of time I had it on a stir plate but it was maybe only 8 hours. I'm planning on making the starter a little earlier to hopefully get it up to peak fermentation before I pitch it.

Crazy thing is this beer finished at 1.006 and it's still sooo smooth and soft. I know that sounds weird and wrong but I notice a big difference in mouthfeel with this beer. It's different than a softness from oats which to me tend to feel slick. Beer was fermented with 002 but I was playing with some Convertase and threw in maybe a little much (1ml in 6 gallons) so what I thought would finish at around 1.012 ended up a little too low.

The other half of the batch I just pitched some dextrose and the dry yeast with a small dry hop that was bagged. That one is too early to tell as there is so much Hop particulate in suspension... needs a few more days at cool temps to setttle out.

One question I have is if you are krausening with a yeast that doesn't eat Maltotriose will you get a bump in gravity? Or is the krausen volume usually too small to affect that?

Has anyone tried just mixing these three yeasts at the beginning and doing a single primary fermentation?

Also I'm not following the CBC-1 killer yeast concern. Maybe I'm missing something. If primary fermentation has completed and then they start conditioning with priming sugar and CBC-1 why do we care if it's killer or not? Whenever I bottle condition sours I use some CBC-1 and the bottles are conditioned in about 4 days.

Isn't it plausible they use this blend for primary fermentation to hit terminal gravity? At that point they add dry hops, priming sugar, and CBC-1 to condition? Remember it takes ~18-21 days from brew day to packaging.

Has anyone tried just mixing these three yeasts at the beginning and doing a single primary fermentation?

That's what I'm doing.

Isn't it plausible they use this blend for primary fermentation to hit terminal gravity? At that point they add dry hops, priming sugar, and CBC-1 to condition? Remember it takes ~18-21 days from brew day to packaging.

I think by now most of us assume this is roughly what's happening, and this is basically what I'm doing.
I would like to work out a better road map for the exact schedule — fermentation time vs conditioning time. It seems most breweries are fermenting for 7-10 days (assuming 65-ish based on the pics). 1-2 days to crash the beer down to 30's for canning. Somewhere in between is conditioning and dry hopping, but for how long and at what temps I don't know.

On krausening — what's the advantage that krausening offers vs just adding gyle and fresh yeast? Nailing the right fermentation time when krausening seems like a variable I'd want to avoid, but adding gyle — that seems super easy.

Also I'm not following the CBC-1 killer yeast concern. Maybe I'm missing something. If primary fermentation has completed and then they start conditioning with priming sugar and CBC-1 why do we care if it's killer or not? Whenever I bottle condition sours I use some CBC-1 and the bottles are conditioned in about 4 days.

I don't think its "concern"...I just think its more that we're just generally trying to understand more about what it truly means when they call a yeast a "killer" strain. Because what it actually means when you throw it into a fermentation will have an important influence on such things like the ratios of other culturable viable yeast left at the end of fermentation, where it's actually being used, influence on beer taste/stability, etc., etc.

And like I mentioned in a previous post, I think that calling CBC-1 a "killer" yeast is probably not accurate in the context of it being used as a conditioning strain. If you tried to use it in the primary ferment, then I think it's "killer" properties would become much, much more significant.

Though I do think it's fascinating that--whether done intentionally or not--the use of CBC-1 (or another killer strain) essentially serves as a effective means of IP protection making starter cultures of TH dregs an inaccurate representation of the true fermentation yeast(s).

marshallb, in this case of doing the following...

Would this make your %s equal to:

S04 = 59%
T-58 = 12%
WB-06 = 29%

?

Also - do you mind sharing your most recent grain bill and hopping schedule? Here is what I noted from your previous post...

Day 1 - 5 grams of S-04 & 5 grams of WB-06 at 75* for 24 hours

Day 2 - Drop temp controller to 60* and add 5 grams of S-04 & 2 grams of T-58 for duration of fermentation

Day 5 - Raise temp controller to 70 and dry hop for 4 days

Day 9 - Cold Crash

Day 10 - Force Carb @ 40 PSI for 24 hours

Is this still accurate?
Yeah, I'm happy to share...although I'm less on the exact science side of this and more relying on my palate and personal taste perceptions and just making homebrew.
I brewed this past Saturday and followed that schedule you posted *almost*. I quoted @melville below because I pitch at 85* and let my fermentation free fall to an ambient 74ish. I started doing this partly because of Janish, but also partly because I was looking for ways to reduce lag time. I have a 6 day grain to glass recipe that I like for when I don't have time to brew a regular batch - or when I want to take a keg to the beach or something like family vacation haha.
First I'll say I'm not paying attention to finished percentages at all at this point. I don't know how much growth occurs via staggered pitching. So I can't even begin to speculate on that part. I made starters again of T58 and WB06 for tasting purposes and decided the T58 was too banana/phenolic when mixed with the WB06 when fermented warm. So I kept it on the 2nd day at a low temp to reduce the number of esters and overall impact on the beer.
Schedule:
Day 1: S04/WB06 ~ 3 grams each - pitched at 85* and let free fall to ambient 74*
Day2: 19 grams of S04 and about 2 grams of T58 while reducing temp to only 62* this time.
Day5: I'll raise temp to 74* for d-rest and dry hops
Day8: Crash at 45* for 3 days - then keg and burst carb.
Grain:
Even parts 2-Row and Golden Promise
10.5% Carafoam
4% each of Biscuit and Aromatic
I'm simplifying my grain bill drastically each brew in the name of having fun. As you see I'm free of adjuncts now and still have plenty of stable haze. Although Saturday was a triple batch day and the 3rd beer was 25% flaked oats. I'm not against them, just having fun.
My latest hopping schedule had nothing to do with Treehouse. I used Ella, Cascade, Simcoe, Nugget, and Citra Cryo Pellets in one and Galaxy, Vic Secret, Cascade, and Simcoe in another. Everything bittered with CTZ. The oat beer was Galaxy/Citra/Simcoe.

5 days at 65F
2 days at 75
1 day at 35

Dry hop on day 5.)

Transferred to keg.

---------------------

One thing I'll say that I think is pretty interesting...you guys up north who are drinking fresh TH say that you don't taste any of the Belgian character or malts like I'm getting from the beers that are mailed to Houston. There has to be some additional fermentation happening in the mail.
I recently sent a bomber to Odd13 Brewing in Colorado. They're really well known for (although I haven't gotten my hands on any yet) super-solid hazy IPAs. I've only heard great things, but again...haven't gotten any.
They immediately picked up on phenolic yeast character in the bottle I sent them. It was 1 month old and had been in a UPS truck in the heat of the summer for 3 days. No one here who drank it out of the keg picked up on any Belgian or Wit character at all.
I have one bomber left that I'll open this weekend. I was waiting to see how it aged for the guys in Colorado to open it. Now that I know what they tasted, I'll be able to taste against my last bottle that has just been kept cold the whole time.

I'm simplifying my grain bill drastically each brew in the name of having fun. As you see I'm free of adjuncts now and still have plenty of stable haze. Although Saturday was a triple batch day and the 3rd beer was 25% flaked oats. I'm not against them, just having fun.

Triple. Batch. Day. @marshallb in beast mode!

For those wondering about dry hoping technique/process, I am fairly certain that breweries using Braukon equipment are using this http://braukon.de/en/hopgun/ product in their system. The beer circulates from the fermentor, through the Hopgun and then back to the fermentor.

I brewer who I've spoken with said that he gets the desired effect within 2hrs using the hop gun. This would cut down the grain to glass time.

I've never seen one of those in a brewery, but I guess that I'll keep my eye out for them. I imagine that there is more than one way to get the same effect, with dumping everything into the primary fermenter being the crudest

On krausening — what's the advantage that krausening offers vs just adding gyle and fresh yeast? Nailing the right fermentation time when krausening seems like a variable I'd want to avoid, but adding gyle — that seems super easy.

One benefit I can think of would be speed, you can start the hopped wort fermenting while primary is still going on, right?

Guys do you cold crash this beer? If you do how many days?

I cold crash to about 45F for 12-24 hrs depending on when I can rack. I only do this to drop the hop pellets (and 1318 krausen cause it's a bastard). Extensive cold crashing has always seemed like a waste of time and potential product. Your kegerator does the same thing!

One thing I'll say that I think is pretty interesting...you guys up north who are drinking fresh TH say that you don't taste any of the Belgian character or malts like I'm getting from the beers that are mailed to Houston. There has to be some additional fermentation happening in the mail.
I recently sent a bomber to Odd13 Brewing in Colorado. They're really well known for (although I haven't gotten my hands on any yet) super-solid hazy IPAs. I've only heard great things, but again...haven't gotten any.
They immediately picked up on phenolic yeast character in the bottle I sent them. It was 1 month old and had been in a UPS truck in the heat of the summer for 3 days. No one here who drank it out of the keg picked up on any Belgian or Wit character at all.
I have one bomber left that I'll open this weekend. I was waiting to see how it aged for the guys in Colorado to open it. Now that I know what they tasted, I'll be able to taste against my last bottle that has just been kept cold the whole time.

This could be one of many big benefits to conditioning with CBC-1. Are you thinking that the T-58 yeast is re-fermenting in the bottle or just imparting some flavor alteration under pressure at higher temps (like Brett is known to do without altering gravity)?

I wonder how and why Nate stumbled upon using these yeasts? Through experimentation and he by accident just found the right type, ratio and temperature? Or did he have background knowledge on all of this? We might never know, but it's interesting to think about how he just hit winner recipes.

I wonder how and why Nate stumbled upon using these yeasts? Through experimentation and he by accident just found the right type, ratio and temperature? Or did he have background knowledge on all of this? We might never know, but it's interesting to think about how he just hit winner recipes.

I've read or heard somewhere that he was doing 10 gal batches almost every night for quite some time (years?) before scaling up. He knows every lever he can pull. Thousands of mini-experiments.

This could be one of many big benefits to conditioning with CBC-1. Are you thinking that the T-58 yeast is re-fermenting in the bottle or just imparting some flavor alteration under pressure at higher temps (like Brett is known to do without altering gravity)?

I just don't know. Even the canned Treehouse I get has those flavors come through by the time they get here. Which is why I started using 3638. Everyone thought I was crazy tasting hef character in Julius, but lo and behold...here we are. I'll be opening my last bomber this weekend with a friend who also brews and can pick out earthy/phenolic/off flavors - hopefully he'll be able to help determine whether or not there is indeed T58 coming forward somehow, or if the temperature difference in transit is bringing the yeast back to life? [maybe?] At that point, it could even be the dry hopping added some wild yeast that munched some long chain sugars over 85* in the UPS warehouse/truck.

I've read or heard somewhere that he was doing 10 gal batches almost every night for quite some time (years?) before scaling up. He knows every lever he can pull. Thousands of mini-experiments.
"Every overnight success takes 10 years."

Two words:
Hill.
Farmstead.

I'm kidding, but that would be awesome. If someone could please send @isomerization some HF that'd be great so we could get started there.

I sent him some... ale yeast didn't look much like anything he had analyzed so far. It floccs super hard. I have the isolate but haven't had time to build it up and brew anything with it.

Two words:
Hill.
Farmstead.

I'm kidding, but that would be awesome. If someone could please send @isomerization some HF that'd be great so we could get started there.

I don't get the same character in TH beers as I do in HF beers. That being said, it doesn't mean that Shaun Hill isn't using more than one yeast strain for his clean fermented beers. Nothing would surprise me...he is doing something differently that's obviously working. His beers are second to none IMO.

One of the brewers at TH used to work at HF in some capacity. Not sure how close he got to the brew there tho.

This to me is fascinating. How on earth could he temp control all of those fermenters?

This to me is fascinating. How on earth could he temp control all of those fermenters?

That Hoppy Thing recipe says to ferment at 66F then shut of temp controller and let free rise...You only have to keep them temp controlled for the first ~3 days until fermentation starts to slow down, then you allow it to warm up on its own. You wouldn't need temp control for more than ~4-6 carboys at a time. Still more space than I have, but...

My question is...where on earth do you get the time to brew that often if you also have a job? And who's drinking all that beer?

I sent him some... ale yeast didn't look much like anything he had analyzed so far. It floccs super hard. I have the isolate but haven't had time to build it up and brew anything with it.

Probably T-58. I'm kidding. But that's pretty interesting if it didn't match anything — given @isomerization 's scans of 1318, etc. Probably going to end up being 4 strains from Lallemand :)

Latest posts

Back