Is trapped beer in Faucet line bad...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BigBear

Reaction score
Kegged first batch ~
Simple question..
Off my cornykeg (for now) I'm using a picnic Faucet.
Standard 3 ft hose, I believe.
After tasting, lets say 3 or 4 days go by....Is the beer IN ths plastic line still good? or should I discard that amount before my next pour?
also - -
When I disconnect this same picnic line from the keg and bring it inside to clean, how do you properly empty it.? while pressing the disconnected picnic faucet the beer stays inside the tube, kinda like its trapt and under some pressure still. (weird?)

The disconnect is still closed, it only opens when connected to the beer out post.

Can you unscrew the hose barb from the disconnect? That will open the tubing so the beer will flow out and you can run cleaner through and rinse.

Kegged first batch ~
Simple question..
Off my cornykeg (for now) I'm using a picnic Faucet.
Standard 3 ft hose, I believe.
After tasting, lets say 3 or 4 days go by....Is the beer IN ths plastic line still good? or should I discard that amount before my next pour?
also - -
When I disconnect this same picnic line from the keg and bring it inside to clean, how do you properly empty it.? while pressing the disconnected picnic faucet the beer stays inside the tube, kinda like its trapt and under some pressure still. (weird?)

The beer in the line is only bad if it tastes like the line. Depending on the tubing you have it may absorb flavors or give them off, or both. A lot of people will dump the first couple of ounces to solve this problem.

The reason the beer will not come out is because the out post seat is sealing the other end. You can disassemble the out post and then open the tap and this will solve the problem. I have a keg that is used for nothing besides starsan. I simply hook my lines up to that, flush them, let them soak, then flush them again = done.

Also check out this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-beer-line-cleaner-226497/

Back