Is This Temperature Controller Overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idle

Reaction score
I'm looking for a digital temperature controller for a small chest freezer. I found a used one in my area for a cheap price ($35) but it seems a little 'technical' and I don't know if it is even for this kind of application. An internet search brings up lots of technical specs like the following but I need some laymen advice.

http://hynux.en.ec21.com/Temperature_Controller--2538427_2538436.html

Looks to be a bit much for a freezer, but it would probably work if you're able to wire it up. I'm a huge fan of the plug and play digital's from Northern Brewer. I'm not sure of the brand, but it's nice. It just plugs into your freezer, then it plugs into your wall. Set the temp and you're good to go.

I have been looking at those ones too. Problem for us Canucks is adding shipping onto our orders. There are some local places I can get new ones that are similar but they are upwards of $75 plus tax.

I have been looking at those ones too. Problem for us Canucks is adding shipping onto our orders. There are some local places I can get new ones that are similar but they are upwards of $75 plus tax.

Thats just the name of the game, if ur talking about the love controller from furneco i recently got one and its been fantastic. I wired it up so that the deepfreeze plugs into the unit, leaves the deepfreeze unmodified. 20 dollars shipping on a half pound box that takes 2 weeks to arrive is rediculous though.

I'm looking for a digital temperature controller for a small chest freezer. I found a used one in my area for a cheap price ($35) but it seems a little 'technical' and I don't know if it is even for this kind of application. An internet search brings up lots of technical specs like the following but I need some laymen advice.

http://hynux.en.ec21.com/Temperature_Controller--2538427_2538436.html

it probably is overkill, but if the price is right and the unit can be configured to do the job, who cares? for a kegerator/keezer, the operating mode has to be selectable as on/off, not pid, to prevent short-cycling of the compressor. from the specs at the above link, it looks like this unit can be set to on/off.

the output selection is a problem.. apparently this unit has 20ma process current, 12v ssr drive and mechanical 3A/250vac relay outputs. the 3A relay probably isn't big enough to handle switching the compressor over an extended time, so you'll need an external relay that can handle say, 10A max. it could be a mechanical relay switched by the 3A relay output, or it could be a solid-state relay driven by the 12v ssr output.

my keezer is controlled by a watlow 965 pid, which has an internal 0.5A relay output, no secondary/alarm output and no ssr drive capability.. the pid is set to on-off mode with a 3-degree hysteresis, and drives a mechanical 10A spdt cube relay mounted in an 8-pin socket for easy replacement if it burns up. the sensor is the cheapest RTD that auber sells, encased in a thin plastic tube with the sensor end heat sealed. the most expensive parts of the unit were the electrical enclosure ($20) and the rtd sensor ($15) everything else was scrounged from my scrap heap and the scrap bins at work. it works really well, holds a steady 36-38 degree temperature with the compressor cycling on every 90 minutes or so for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Thanks for the help. I've decide to pass on it and look for a more plug and play type one. Probably end up breaking down and ordering from Northern Brewer.

Won't ordering one from Northern Brewer end up costing more with delivery and potentially customs duties/brokerage fees?

BTW where locally did you see the temperature control devices for sale that you mention? I am in the Toronto area and I am looking to purchase a temperature controller.

Ordering from Norther Brewer is not an option anymore anyways because they will no longer ship to Canada. I looked closer at the one I saw at an electronics store in Etobicoke but it is not suitable for our needs. I have since ordered a few controllers directly from the manufacturer (it is a unit like the one they make for MashMaster) and with delivery it only cost me $60) I can sell you one of them if you are interested (will only ask the $60) but I ordered the cheap shipping so it might be another week or two before they are in.

They are sending me units that run on 110V and these units can be set between -40 and 70 C with a 1 degree variance (can be set between 1 and 15 degree). You can also select a delay time of up to 9 min which is suggested for running a fridge. It can changed between cooling and heating mode in the menu so no jumpers to change.

Just PM me if you are interested

Back