Is this safe to drink.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

I recently was looking forward to kegging my long anticipated Russian Imperial. I have been letting it age 9 months now and when I opened the lid to my fermentation bucket I discovered that it smelled of acetone and had a thin film with several tiny white bubbles on the surface. I am wondering if this beer is safe to consume and if it is safe. I have attached photos for your expert advice.

I'm kinda thinking that Russian Imperial Stouts should be aged in the bottle, like a fine wine. Kept in a nice cool and dark place until all the roasty toasty malt flavors have time to blend in with the alcohol bite and the hop goodness.
I do believe that what you have in your bucket there might just be the first Russian Imperial Sour that I have ever seen. It might just take another year or two to get really good, bit if so, it should be worth the wait...;)
P.S. I'd try it.....

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone, I have it carbonating and cooling right now, will post back next week about how it tastes!

Back