Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
So, I've started kegging over the past few months, and have had some trouble with co2 leaking out. I'm on my third 10lb bottle in 3-4 months. I changed out the gaskets and o-rings, and I think it helped, but I went out there today, and I'm hearing a sounds coming from the regulator. Kinda like the sound of air flowing through it. Not quite a hissing sound, but I think you get it. Anyway, I shut off the tank, and it didn't stop, so I shut off the valve coming out of the regulator, and it didn't stop. I finally turned the regulator all the way down and it stopped, but it starts doing it again around 10 psi. Is this something I should worry about, or is this just a normal sound that kegging makes?

You should hear that noise when there's CO2 moving through. There shouldn't be CO2 moving through when the cylinder's shut off (not for long, maybe a few seconds) or when the valve's shut off. My guess would be that you have a leak between the regulator and valve, that only starts leaking at about 10 psi. Check it with some detergent.

Alright, so I sprayed it with soapy water and I don't see any bubbles. I put my ear up to it and it sound like the sound is happening I'm one of the gauges. I think its the one that tells me when to fill the tank.

I'd remove the regulator from the cylinder valve and verify there is something to seal that connection. Wouldn't be the first case of a missing seal.
Some regulator stems have an integrated O-ring or gasket, others rely on the user remembering to install a separate plastic or fiber washer.
If that checks out, make sure you always fully open or close the cylinder valve to the stops so you're not relying on a stem packing.
Beyond that, while it's unusual to have a gauge breach it's not unheard of, but make certain there isn't a leak at the gauge stem first...

Cheers!

I don't keg so take this with a grain of salt
If you are hearing a noise in the regulator but it does not sound like anything is leaking at the regulator and a soap test confirms this, that tells me you are hearing the CO2 move through the regulator because there is a leak further "downstream". Keep checking each connection as you get further from the cylinder

Leaks can be real hard to find. I went through 3 bottles before I stopped it

I replaced all the gaskets in the kegs and all poppets and QD’s and no more leaks

Now once a keg is done i full it half way with sanitizer, burp it a few times with 30 Psi, and let it sit for a few days to see if it leaks

If not I run it through the tap and I’m
Happy

I think I have all the kegs good to go (hopefully). I'm jut confused by the sound coming from the gauges. I am carbing a keg right now, so maybe that's part of the issue. I'm a little concerned that I broke the regulator when the tank tipped over a couple weeks ago.

No it's not normal to go thru that much co2. If you are hearing noise, gas is moving and going somewhere, which it shouldn't be. You can always pull off that high pressure guage and plug it to see if that is your leak, as the that guage is worthless for co2.

I turned it off for now, hopefully I didn't lose too much. Anyway, after looking at it and listening some more, I think it's actually the psi gauge. Does it work to replace these gauges? Or should the whole thing be replaced? I can get a replacement gauge at the HBS for pretty cheap, so I was thinking of Trying that.

Yes, replacing the gauge would work. A lot cheaper than buying a new regulator.

That's what I will do then. Thanks. Btw is there any good way to tell how much gas I have left in this tank?

Weigh it. The empty weight of the tank is stamped into it. Actually that's the only way to tell how much co2 is left.

Now once a keg is done i full it half way with sanitizer, burp it a few times with 30 Psi, and let it sit for a few days to see if it leaks

If not I run it through the tap and I’m
Happy
How do you check for leaks?

Seem like this approach should carbonate your sanitizer and cause the pressure to drop which could give a misleading result.

I don’t leave it on the co2, I keep it at room temp, spray the fittings with starsan solution and check the pressure over a few days by releasing a burst

Not a scientific method, but one that works

New question though. How many cornies should I be able to carb and serve with 1 - 1.5 lbs of co2? I'm wondering if I should just get it filled again, or run it dry first.

I really only need it to do one more cornie, because I'm entering a local homebrew competition. I'd hate for it to dry up before that one is ready.

Simply put, oxidation avoidance.
If you use gravity alone, as the first vessel empties it pulls air in.
Pushing with CO2 avoids that bit of O2 exposure...

Cheers!

If you able to get your tank filled locally I would wait to fill it just incase you still have a leak.

If you purge your kegs empty and do a pressure transfer that will use more co2 than just purging the headspace once filled. If you plan to do that maybe get the tank filled first.

Cool. Yeah, I just wanted to get at least one more keg ready to serve before swaping it out. After that, I think I'll change out the remaining seals and o-rings that I haven't switch out yet to make sure everything is ready to go.

New question though. How many cornies should I be able to carb and serve with 1 - 1.5 lbs of co2? I'm wondering if I should just get it filled again, or run it dry first.

Buy a second tank, then you always have a full one when you run out.

Back