Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberg1

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale alittle over a week ago now and the fermentation was kinda slow to start but once it started it really took off. And it didn't stop. The krausen was really big and I had a lot of blow off for about 9 days and when it finally went down I couldn't see into the carboy because it stuck to the top.

I know I'm kinda rambling on but I'm really bad at typing.

Is that normal? I've never had the krausen stick to the carboy and I've never had active fermentation last that long. I didn't want to rack to secondary but can it cause any off tastes or aromas leaving it in the primary?

That's VERY normal, sounds like a good healthy fermentation. Have your checked your gravity? I personally don't use secondaries, 2 to 3 weeks in the primary, depending on how fast the ferment is, then it's off to the keg. I do however always pitch the proper amount of yeast and get fast (3 to 4 days) ferments.

This is perfectly normal, I follow similar process as WW, I primary for 2-4 weeks depending on the gravity and other factors, I always get a coating of mook stuck to the carboy, check the gravity and if its ready, bottle or keg!

Thanks for all the responses! I feel a lot better after hearing all of that!

Back