Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettdow00

Reaction score
Never had this come up before. This brew has been fermenting for close to three weeks. Not sure if it’s mold, yeast rafts or what?

Attachments

• F6CFEFDE-C553-4671-ABF2-4B7F21777589.jpeg
    F6CFEFDE-C553-4671-ABF2-4B7F21777589.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
That looks like a pellicle. What yeast did you use? Is this a sour or something with Brett? I've had that once and I dont make sours. Actually I'm drinking that beer now, it has a slight sour taste. If this is an accident you may still like it. Fyi you should refrain from opening your fermenting bucket.

That looks like a pellicle. What yeast did you use? Is this a sour or something with Brett? I've had that once and I dont make sours. Actually I'm drinking that beer now, it has a slight sour taste. If this is an accident you may still like it. Fyi you should refrain from opening your fermenting bucket.
This is a pumpkin ale. I used s-04 yeast. I was kegging it so I always open the top while it’s flowing just to see if everything looks good. Safe to drink?

Yes it is safe, but something unwanted did get in. Taste it, drink it if you like. I would up your cleaning and sanitation. That bucket may be hard to sanitize now. What sanitizer do you use? Also you did use an air lock with sanitizer or similar in it? Good idea to replace lines you used with this as well.

Yes it is safe, but something unwanted did get in. Taste it, drink it if you like. I would up your cleaning and sanitation. That bucket may be hard to sanitize now. What sanitizer do you use? Also you did use an air lock with sanitizer or similar in it? Good idea to replace lines you used with this as well.
I used star san to sanitize. I was thinking I should probably take a little extra caution when cleaning now. I've been too comfortable with it since I've never had an infection before so maybe I will go to a little more effort now!

I totally hear you. That is the same for me. Got lazy one brew day, that went into the night. Delayed pitch among other things. It happens to us all I think. Yours looks a lot nicer than mine did.
20200709_111128.jpg

Back