Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron McKellar

cameron.rl.mckellar
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I discovered some small white spots in the neck of my carboy post-fermentation (about 4 weeks since I brewed). Trying to decide if they are mold or not. The reason for all the brown crap is the carboy was quite full and I needed a blow off.

I saw no spots on the beer itself and it tasted good to me. I only noticed these spots after I had been cold crashing the carboy at 31F for a few days (w/ attached BruLoonLock to avoid O2 ingress) and was about to transfer it to a keg.

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• 2019-12-09.jpg
    2019-12-09.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 60
There's definitely something growing. The photo isn't clear enough to determine what it is.
Are the areas of growth fuzzy or hairy?

Either way, since it wasn't in contact with the beer I would recommend that you go ahead and keg it.

H
There's definitely something growing. The photo isn't clear enough to determine what it is.
Are the areas of growth fuzzy or hairy?

Either way, since it wasn't in contact with the beer I would recommend that you go ahead and keg it.
Definitely not fuzzy or hairy, more powdery and if I zoom in on the original picture some of the spots almost like a mini pellicle.

I kegged it up last night and am carbing it now, will see how it tastes tonight and over the next few days.

Thanks!

Back