Is this mold?...I think it's mold :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry to post another one of these threads. I read through a couple dozen threads earlier today and none of the moldy beers looked quite like this, so I have to ask: is this mold? The pictures aren't the best, but trying to get a picture through a carboy shoulder with condensation on it isn't the easiest thing to do.

The beer: Flanders Red
Yeast: ECY Bugcounty and dregs from a bottle of Jester King added when i racked at secondary. Secondary hasn't been opened or airlock dried out.

I brewed it almost 2 months ago and it's been sitting in my basement at ~70F ever since. (Primary in one vessel, then racked to secondary at the tail end of activity).
The picture is deceiving a little bit, the white spot that I suspect to be mold is only about the size of a quarter. On the other side of the carboy there looks to be a small/thin pellicle forming but it's a little brown/reddish which I figured is just because of the beer it's in. I am not able to get a picture of the pellicle.

20201020_000057.jpg
20201020_000112.jpg
20201020_000120.jpg

Also, like the title says: I'm pretty sure this is mold and this batch needs to be destroyed but I'm hoping someone with more experience than I have can save the day and say everything is OK. Thanks again for all your help, cheers!

Hard to tell from the pix, but it doesn't look like mold to me. Mold is usually fuzzy.
How much headspace is in that secondary? A glass carboy?

Pellicle formation is normal/expected.

Thanks for easing some of my anxieties, @IslandLizard I know they're not the best pictures by any means but they're as good as I could get (my wife had to shine a flashlight while I did my best to take a picture). After looking at it closer and in a different light there appears to be a (VERY thin) pellicle forming all the way across the surface so that's comforting. It just struck me as a bit odd that it's only one quarter sized patch more developed than anywhere else. Also, I haven't opened the fermentor since it quit bubbling so I wasn't even expecting a pellicle thinking I kept out all O2 out.

If anything, this teaches me to not ever count anything out when dealing with Brett and other various bugs.

To answer your other question, it is in a glass carboy secondary. This is not my picture but is very close to the volume I have in the carboy:

carboy fill level.jpeg

On this batch I also learned that I need to start increasing my volumes to account for trub loss but to also be able to fill the secondary vessel up closer to the neck. Thanks, again!

I would say that is not mold.
Most likely pellicle related...
Your process sounds good, and there isnt any surface floaties (like fruit) that would get me more worried.

On this batch I also learned that I need to start increasing my volumes to account for trub loss but to also be able to fill the secondary vessel up closer to the neck. Thanks, again!
Yeah, filled to an inch under the bung is the common rule for secondaries.
You can always keep some extra beer around from the same batch (or a different batch without hops), to add to your secondary for top ups. If it doesn't fit your primary, ferment that extra beer in it's own gallon jug or so. Just keep the oxygen out if you want to keep it around for longer.

Back