Is this insane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Hoppy Chamomile Hefeweizen:

3.5# pils
6.5# wheat
.5# rice hulls

1oz columbus FWH
2oz chamomile @ 10 min

WLP300 @ 65 degrees for 7 days then keg.

I was thinking that the columbus may work to compliment the chamomile, maybe not.

Thanks for the encouragement....Just picked up the ingredients for this batch, will either do it with the columbus or if I wimp out use some saaz.

Also, I have 2oz of dried chamomile, I am wondering if I should use the whole 2oz or use less.

Should I do the columbus as FWH or as a 60 minute addition?

Sounds good to me. Like beer says, start off slow with the chamimile and work your way up from there. It is easy to overdue it.

FWIW New Glarus Crack'd Wheat (they call it a cross between a Hefe and an APA) uses Armarillo hops. That spicy type of hop would go great with chamomile. If you were looking for more of a hop forward hefe. If you want the chamomile to be the star then the herbal qualities of the Columbus show support it well.

I think this is a great idea. One concern I have is for boiling the chamomile. I'd put it in at flame-out to avoid some of the bitter/astringent components. Probably a small thing but worth consideration. Good luck.

Schlante,
Phillip

Excellent, I am going to brew tomorrow. Revising the hop schedule a bit though, how does this sound:

.5oz columbus @ FWH
.25oz columbus @ 10 min
1oz chamomile @ flameout
1lb wildflower honey @ flameout

Will the .5oz FWH be good for bittering? Columbus is pretty high alpha. I also am going to try and keep the 3068 yeast around 65F to keep the esters low but still have the bavarian quality, does anyone know if it will stall at this temp?

I've got a Chamomile Agave Wheat about ready to be bottled. It's coming along well so far. Used Wyeast German Ale yeast for a more Kolsch style yeast characteristic. This was my recipe for a 2.5 gallon batch:

1lb Extra Light Pilsen DME
1lb Bavarian Wheat DME (65% wheat)
.25lb Honey Malt (Steeped)
.75lb Raw Agave Nectar

.25oz Sterling 6.0% AA @ 60 mins
.25oz Sterling 6.0% AA @ 12 mins
4 tea bags Chamomile @ 10 mins

Fermented at 56 degrees with Wyeast 1007 German Ale.

OG = 1.050
FG = 1.009

Beer initially had a definite chamomile zing that has since gone away. Not sure if it'll come back at all. I'm cold crashing now to clear it up.

Excellent, I am going to brew tomorrow. Revising the hop schedule a bit though, how does this sound:

.5oz columbus @ FWH
.25oz columbus @ 10 min
1oz chamomile @ flameout
1lb wildflower honey @ flameout

Will the .5oz FWH be good for bittering? Columbus is pretty high alpha. I also am going to try and keep the 3068 yeast around 65F to keep the esters low but still have the bavarian quality, does anyone know if it will stall at this temp?

This is very close to a beer described in Extreme Brewing called Wildflower Wheat. That used 1 lb honey and 2 oz. chamomile. That recipe uses Wyeast American Wheat (Wy1010), so you are going to end up with more cloves at 65. And no, 3068 won't stall at 65. I think that is the perfect temp for a hefe.

BTW, I buy whole flower chamomile from the whole food shops. I have also bought it from tea shops. Stuff is extremely aromatic, so I would guess it packs a much bigger punch than the dustings in the tea bags.

Great. I have the whole flower chamomile too, I think I will try an oz, if I feel the need for for more I guess I could always add some dry to the keg, might be nice anyway.

I am about to go get the equipment ready and start heating strike water, if anyone wants to chime in I am probably about 3 hours away from the boil.

Thanks for all the help, very excited for this recipe, should be an interesting summer session beer.

Just put the wort on to boil--the .5oz columbus FWH smelled amazing, I think I will be glad I didn't go with the nobles as I have brewed a few standard bavarian hefes before and I think this will be interesting.

I will post final recipe and results in a couple weeks, thanks for all your help.

Just tasted a hydrometer sample that was at about 1.014. Pitched yeast sunday night, had it @60F for 2 days then ramped it up to 63F and a day later to 65F. In a day or two I will warm it up to 68-70F and let it finish and then keg on sunday or monday.

So far so good, it tastes very balanced and smooth. I think the low ferment temps were a good decision. It will be interesting to see how the chamomile comes out, might add another .5oz in a nylon sack in the keg. Does anybody see any problems with this as far as the oils killing head retention or contributing astringent qualities?

Back