Is this corroded used Jockey box worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to determine if it's worth it without price. it's worth something in scrap alone from the plate chiller. If it's cheap enough, buy it, run some oxiclean through it to clean it then flush with water to make sure the water comes out tasting like.....water. The inside of the plate chiller is really the only thing to be concerned with, it's the money maker of the jockey box. A replacement faucet is no big deal if needed.

Sorry. Forgot to put the price. He wants $100 for everything. Jockey box, keg, co2 tank, etc. I don't really need another co2 bottle or sanke (but I guess I could always sell or trade them) Also, the description says the cold plate is aluminum. Do they make aluminum cold plates?

It depends on how much they want for it. The picture is small but it looks like it just needs a good cleaning. Any of the really corrodes lines can easily be replaced.

^^That is kinda what I was thinking. My only concern is how nasty the inside of the plate chiller may be.

I wouldn't worry about the inside of the cooler the beer never touches eny of it. The cold Plate is just a stainless coil encased in an aluminum body . It s a good deal at 100$

It looks like a very similar Plate Chiller brand new is $99 It is Aluminum but the internal lines are SS. Probably the same deal as his.
So then is the other stuff worth it to you for basically free and some elbow grease scrubbing (or soaking in OxiClean)? **unsure of effects of oxiclean on aluminum, check that out first**

oxiclean wont hurt it I soaked the one I have overnight and its super clean.

^^That is kinda what I was thinking. My only concern is how nasty the inside of the plate chiller may be.

To clean the inside I just hooked a sump pump up to and recirculated the oxiclean through it for a couple of hours then just plain water to rinse in the same manner.

^^Cool! I think I will buy it. The guy just replied and said the 20 lb bottle is in good certification and partially full. That is an added bonus!

I can't open the pic so I'll say this with a grain of salt since I can't see it...

but instead of oxiclean, one option might be to simply pop it in your oven and let it run through a "self clean" cycle. Your oven will basically reduce anything that is in it to dust and then you can run Oxyclean through it.

Someone had suggested that as a way to clean my plate chiller and I think it's a great suggestion.

Yes, keep in mind that is NOT a plate chiller! That is just tubing encased in a block of aluminum, and thus MUCH easier to clean. No matter how crappy the inside of the chiller is, you should be able to clean it. This is not the case with a brazed plate chiller like a Therminator or Shirron, I imagine those could get disgusting to the point of you never wanting to use it for chilling (because of dead ends and such).

I bought it. I got:
-- a dirty jockey box with a PERLICK faucet and miller lite tap handle
--a half-full 20lb aluminum co2 tank
--a 15.5 gallon sanke
--a perlick sanke coupler
--a crappy regulator
--some old craftsman pliers that were left inside the jockey box
All for $85.

^^Yeah, I know. Plus, when I got it home and saw the faucet was a perlick, I was extremely happy. I will definitely be switching my kegerator and jockey box faucets.

Back