Is this big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moinkyschmoink

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 15 gallon hlt, a 20 gallon mas tun and just bought a 25 gallon pot to boil in. I was thinking I could mash and sparge enough to get about 23 gallons for a boil. Is this right or will my efficiency suck?

I have a 15 gallon hlt, a 20 gallon mas tun and just bought a 25 gallon pot to boil in. I was thinking I could mash and sparge enough to get about 23 gallons for a boil. Is this right or will my efficiency suck?

You're going to want more than 2 gallons of headspace on the boil. I'd say making a 20g. batch in a 25g. pot is relatively feasible. Of course for big beers like imperials your mash will be thicker, so lower efficiency in recipes accordingly.

I've done boils in keggle that started off at 14.5 gallons.

Make your butt pucker up when you start to get some hot break going but you can adjust the heat quick enough to get you through it

I've done boils in keggle that started off at 14.5 gallons.

Make your butt pucker up when you start to get some hot break going but you can adjust the heat quick enough to get you through it

true, and fermcap-s helps. I was just saying not to plan on doing 23g brews every day without hiccups.

Well I figured there may be some heavy misting and butt puckering (nice one) issues. I'm just trying to get my head around the efficiency issues.
According to green bay rackers a 46 lb recipe will take 18.6 gallons of space giving me very little room to get a sparge arm in.

Well I figured there may be some heavy misting and butt puckering (nice one) issues. I'm just trying to get my head around the efficiency issues.
According to green bay rackers a 46 lb recipe will take 18.6 gallons of space giving me very little room to get a sparge arm in.

Yeah, that's why I said the mash tun will probably give you issues before the BK does at that size (~20g)

Back